help on 2 day stay in key west

tobecool

we are going key west not by cruise but driving, and stay there 2 nights, we'd like to know if there are wave runner, parasailing and snorkeling or scuba diving in key west and where we can find info for that. Other than these, what you guys recommend to do in key west. this is our first visit to key west. and also where is best to stay. thanks

All of the water activities you ask about are available in Key West. In addition there are numerous other things to do and see. There are day cruises on Tall ships, glass-bottomed boats, tours on the Conch Train and from two companies that offer trolley tours. You can rent bicycles or go on a bicycle tour.

You can go to various mseums such as the highly regarded Mel Fisher Treasure museum, Hemingway's home, Truman's summer White House, the Butterfly Conservatory, The free Eco-Discovery Museum, two Coast Guard cutters you can tour, Fort Zachary Taylor Sate Park for picnics, plus tour the Civil War fort there. You can play golf. You can go to the Aquarium or climb the Key West White House and tour its keeper's cottage. There is a Ripley's Belive It or Not museum. There is a Coach outlet store.

There are sights such as the Southernmost Point marker and the Mile Zero sign. You may enjoy walking the streets of Old Town to photograph Key West's unique architecture and tropical foilage.

You can walk along the historic Schooner Wharf, a great scenic spot for photos.

As for lodging, there is a large variety of price points and types of lodging including Key West's many bed and breakfast offerings. There are luxury hotels and well known national chains and some local "mom-and-pop" offerings, some quite moderate in pricing. Prices do very much depend on the season.

Hubby and I often stay at the Sheraton Suites and at the Double Tree Hotel. Both of these are a long walk from the downtown action. If you have a car, that should be no problem. Also, both of these hotels offer a van for free that runs regular trips downtown.

There are also a wealth of great places to eat.

All of the water activities you ask about are available in Key West. In addition there are numerous other things to do and see. There are day cruises on Tall ships, glass-bottomed boats, tours on the Conch Train and from two companies that offer trolley tours. You can rent bicycles or go on a bicycle tour.

You can go to various mseums such as the highly regarded Mel Fisher Treasure museum, Hemingway's home, Truman's summer White House, the Butterfly Conservatory, The free Eco-Discovery Museum, two Coast Guard cutters you can tour, Fort Zachary Taylor Sate Park for picnics, plus tour the Civil War fort there. You can play golf. You can go to the Aquarium or climb the Key West White House and tour its keeper's cottage. There is a Ripley's Belive It or Not museum. There is a Coach outlet store.

There are sights such as the Southernmost Point marker and the Mile Zero sign. You may enjoy walking the streets of Old Town to photograph Key West's unique architecture and tropical foilage.

As for lodging, there is a large variety of price points and types of lodging including Key West's many bed and breakfast offerings. There are luxury hotels and well known national chains and some local "mom-and-pop" offerings, some quite moderate in pricing. Prices do very much depend on the season.

Hubby and I often stay at the Sheraton Suites and at the Double Tree Hotel. Both of these are a long walk from the downtown action. If you have a car, that should be no problem. Also, both of these hotels offer a van for free that runs regular trips downtown.

Thanks so much, HeawySurf. IT IS so helpful to me,now there are things in my mind. I'll go into details and find what are the best to us. Thanks again and have good long weekend.

we are going key west not by cruise but driving, and stay there 2 nights, we'd like to know if there are wave runner, parasailing and snorkeling or scuba diving in key west and where we can find info for that. Other than these, what you guys recommend to do in key west. this is our first visit to key west. and also where is best to stay. thanks

There are two trips, Sebago's Power Adventure and Fury's Ultimate Adventure which gives you all of the above, plus a few more, on one trip except for diving. It's a little expensive but it's a good way to pack a lot of things into one 9:30 - 4:00 or so day. It includes breakfast and lunch.

And Lost Reef Adventures is a good company for diving. (You know you must be certified to dive in US waters?) If you're not certified you can take a Resort Dive (dive in a day) They doo some class work at their shop, then pool work with equipment at the Casa Marina, then two real dives.

Pjk

There are two trips, Sebago's Power Adventure and Fury's Ultimate Adventure which gives you all of the above, plus a few more, on one trip except for diving. It's a little expensive but it's a good way to pack a lot of things into one 9:30 - 4:00 or so day. It includes breakfast and lunch.

And Lost Reef Adventures is a good company for diving. (You know you must be certified to dive in US waters?) If you're not certified you can take a Resort Dive (dive in a day) They doo some class work at their shop, then pool work with equipment at the Casa Marina, then two real dives.

Pjk

Thanks, Peter. I think Sebago's Power Adventure is similar ones are just fine to us. we'll look into details. We don't have dive certification, but we may do in during the cruise before our key west trip.:p

We were in Key West for 2 nights in May. We stayed at the Silver Palms Inn on Truman Ave. We really liked the hotel. It is just new and the rooms are very tropical. The pool was nice and the parking is free. It's just a short walk to Duval street, we did not drive the entire time. We took the trolly tour one day, see a lot of beautiful homes. One night we did the ghost tour which took you to the fort. Our son stays at the southern most point hotel and said there is a small beach there. We are returning in January (cruising) and have a half day dolphin watch tour scheduled. It has dolphin watching and snorkling thru Dream Catcher Charters, Inc.

• 1 month later...

I didn't take the tiime to read the previous replies but I do want to recommend B.O.'s Fishwagon as a must for lunch, best grouper sandwich on the planet. We love limin' at Schooner's Wharf and listening to the great bands by the marina. Sloppy Joe's does have a great sloppy joe and burger and they get the best bends. Mangi Mangi is a great pasta place, and don't miss the Chart House (on the Pier House property). Actually the resort was built around the CH, neat place with some cool history.

We s

I didn't take the tiime to read the previous replies but I do want to recommend B.O.'s Fishwagon as a must for lunch, best grouper sandwich on the planet. We love limin' at Schooner's Wharf and listening to the great bands by the marina. Sloppy Joe's does have a great sloppy joe and burger and they get the best bends. Mangi Mangi is a great pasta place, and don't miss the Chart House (on the Pier House property). Actually the resort was built around the CH, neat place with some cool history.

We stay at the Island City HOuse Hotel, 3 blocks from the north end of Duval but very quiet. There is also a sale at the Parrot Key hotel but that's a drive or taxi from Old Town.

Enjoy!

We've stayed at the Conch House B&B on Truman. Perfect location to walk everywhere. We never needed a car. Visit the Hemingway House and dine at the Blue Heaven. There are a number of historic homes you can visit in addition to the Little White House. Also stop in the San Carlos Institute to see the exhibits.

• 2 weeks later...

I also just stayed at the sheraton suites. Place was awesome! I would stay again.

CHEERS!

• 2 weeks later...

tobecool,

Just returned from 2 nights in Key West. If you have any questions, let me know.

The one thing I would strongly recommend is staying up by Duval. We stayed at the Best Western (was ok for the price) but even though it is only a couple miles from the action, it is a pain to drive back and forth. also figure in the price of parking each time you go.

We arrrived last thursday. Paid for parking thursday afternoon, walked around. Drove back to hotel to clean up for dinner. Back into town and paid for parking again for our sunset cruise with Sebago.

Friday, we paid again for parking when we did the Power Adventure with Sebago (very highly recommend them) and then had to drive back to hotel again at 5 to clean up after a day on the water. Paid for parking again at night. We did find the large parking building that offers a 24 hr package so we were able to use that for both times on friday.

Just know that no matter the price, we would pay the difference to just stay closer and be able to walk to everything. We had originally wanted to do one of the small cottages but found that they all require a 3 night minimum stay.

Next time we know better and will stay longer and closer.

We have been to Key West many times and stayed in hotels, the last time we thought we would have a change and stay bed & breakfast, the best thing we have ever done. We stayed at Mermaid & Aligator, check it out on the web, amazing place, easy walk to Duval Street which is the main area to be in, they have parking for the car, free wine and nibbles in the evening, you can help yourself to tea/coffee etc., they do an amazing breakfast in their garden in the morning, nothing is too much trouble for them.

• 2 weeks later...
tobecool,

Just returned from 2 nights in Key West. If you have any questions, let me know.

The one thing I would strongly recommend is staying up by Duval. We stayed at the Best Western (was ok for the price) but even though it is only a couple miles from the action, it is a pain to drive back and forth. also figure in the price of parking each time you go.

We arrrived last thursday. Paid for parking thursday afternoon, walked around. Drove back to hotel to clean up for dinner. Back into town and paid for parking again for our sunset cruise with Sebago.

Friday, we paid again for parking when we did the Power Adventure with Sebago (very highly recommend them) and then had to drive back to hotel again at 5 to clean up after a day on the water. Paid for parking again at night. We did find the large parking building that offers a 24 hr package so we were able to use that for both times on friday.

Just know that no matter the price, we would pay the difference to just stay closer and be able to walk to everything. We had originally wanted to do one of the small cottages but found that they all require a 3 night minimum stay.

Next time we know better and will stay longer and closer.

Thank you so much, Waterbugohio.

we have already book the southernmost hotel which is at 1319 Duval street. hopefull it is close enough to the main part of the city. and we also book with sebago for the power adventure and free sunset cruise the same day. I don't think we'll have time to be back to the hotel to clean and change for the sunset cruise because it's only half an hour in between. do you know if they have somewhere we can simply clean and change? or if you think it;s ok even without any clean after the the whole power adventure. and i think we'll have dinner after the sunset cruise and change well to the dinner? where do you recommend to have dinner?

we'll be there late afternoon from Fort Lauderdale Dec 25. any other recomendation? thanks!!

we'll be there late afternoon from Fort Lauderdale Dec 25. any other recomendation? thanks!!

If you like chocolate martinis as much as I do, you may be interested to know that the best one I have ever had was at AB Lobster House. They rim the glass with chocolate ganache and not plain old Hershey's syrup. The second best chocolate martini and also espresso martinis I have ever had are at La Trattoria. They are super big and the glass is rimmed with chocolate powder. They use Ketel One vodka. They have a nextensive list of other kinds of martinis and an extensive selection of Italian wines.

There are now two La Trattorias, one on Duval across from the Walgreens anda barnd new one out by the airport on South Roosevelt with a decent view of the water.

AB Lobster House is a second floor restaurant by the Schooner docks. The food is excellent. Very near them is also The Commodore which is a second floor restaurant with a spectacular view of the marina. They are well known for their steaks. Both restaurants allow free parking in their lot as long as you eat in one of those restaurants.

If you tire of the Mallory Square sunset circus, check out the sunset at lovely Fort Zachary Taylor State Park...my favorite place for watching Key West's marvelous sunsets.

Some of the Key West homes have beautiful holiday decoprations.

Joanna,

We did the sunset cruise the night before the all day adventure. If this fits into your schedule I would highly recommend this. Their website says you can't do it this way, but it will actually allow you to. I called Sebago and confirmed this. The reason it says no, is the sunset cruise if free with the purchase of the ultimate adventure. If for some reason the weather is bad and they can't sail the next day, you just have to pay the $39 or whatever the price is for the Sunset instead. All very understandable.

IMHO I would not want to do the all day and then the sunset. Most people were cleaned up for the sunset cruise. They do have a very small office and I would not assume there is any kind of changing area. It is in a strip of shops/stores all connected together. There are a couple restaurants right there that my have a restroom to allow you to change. But after snorkeling, swimming in the ocean and sunscreen/sweat all day I wouldn't want to do this.

As for restaurants we did Alonzo the one night and the Conch House the other. Both very good and both very near Sebago.

As for the Southernmost hotel, from the looks of it, you will love it. You will be close enough to walk to most of things. However, you may want to look into renting a golf cart or scooters to get around. They looked like alot of fun and the parking was alot easier. Or even bikes. This option could give you enough time to run back to the hotel for a quick change. We got back from the all day right at 4. And even though the website say 1/2 ahead of time to check in, there is really no reason to be there that early. Especially since they will know you are coming right back.

Hopes this helps. Feel free to ask others questions. Love re-living the fun

Thanks a lot for all your replies above.

Waterbugohio, I think I have the only choice to take both trips in one day, because they won't have sunset cruise Dec 25 which is our first night there and we are leaving Dec 27. we'll walk around the first day we arrive there to see how the best way is for us to clean up and dress good to the sunset cruise after the whole day adventure.

Peter, thank you for your recommendation, we'll go and check if it will work for us one day before our trip.

Heavysurf, we love lobster so much, we may think of your recommendation. but so far as I know there are too many delicious in key west which we really can not try them all. Just leave some for our next trip.

And I also heard people saying there is a Cuba cuisine near our hotel, just curious and we may go there if time permits. anybody has any idea to that?

• 2 months later...

Archived