Which Side of Ship Cruising In Hawaii

Dalidaligolf

Inside and save the money, weather should be so good you can enjoy free best side all the time day / night, IMHO :D

We will be taking a Carnival Ship out of LA and are wondering if one side of the ship is better while cruising around Hawaii & sitting on balcony too.

It depends on if you are doing a Napalli Coast Sailby and if so which direction. (most ships go north to south). To me that is the best reason to pick a side. You can sit on your own balcony during the sailby and not have to fight the masses up on deck. So, usually Port side is best if your ship goes north to south.

If your cruise includes a sailby the volcano on the big island, (lava currently not flowing), that would usually be to the starboard side, but since that is such a short time, I wouldn't base my side selection on that.

Are you anchoring at Lahania or docking in Kahalui on Maui? Usually ships port sides face Lahania when anchored and it is a nice view of Maui from that side. (or the island of Lanai from the starboard side.) If docking in Kahalui, the ships usually are facing into the dock and so the starboard side has the better view of the Iao Valley.

Hilo....not much view from either side. Starboard usually faces Hilo Harbor and the town, port, the dockyard.

Kona... ships usually anchor with the port side facing the town and starboard side facing out to sea.

Kauai... I have been on ships that have docked both ways in this harbor, so that is a toss up. (one side faces a hill, the other faces a more open view.).

Honolulu... all my Hawaii cruises have departed/returned to this port and we have faced both ways. Better view during the sail in on the starboard side...nice views of Diamond Head and Waikiki. Of course, on sailout, the port side would face this area.

Hope this helps.

Archived