Confuused - Best way to get from Port to Rome?

terry the traveler

We have been to Rome before, but this time only want to visit the Vatican Museum & Sistine Chapel. I am terribly confused about transportation from the ship - if we take the private train or coach offered by the cruiseline (at a very inflated price) we won't arrive until at least 10:30, and in that case we would not be able to get a guided tour (offered at 10:30 & 2:30). The ONLY advatage to this option is that if the train was running late we wouldn't miss the ship. If we opt for the "express train", we should be there by 10:00, but in other posts some have expressed skepticism as to whether this train even exists. I did locate it on-line and the cost is approx. 1/3 of what is offered by Celebrity. Does anyone have any info. as to the reliability of this option? As for the "regular" trains; how often do they run, where would we get off for the Vatican, and where do we board? Do we need to purchase tickets in advance? I am assuming this is the least expensive way to go, but want to be sure there is ample time to return to the ship. If anyone has done this before, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

you can buy your tickets on line - no problem - we did.

You can also arrange for private transport to take the worries away if you like - if you have a group of 8 it will be less than the ship's transfer. You might want to check out Rome in Limo and those type transfers.

that way, you are sure to get back on the ship.

If you are taking the train, we never take the last train back - take the one before or the one before that.:) Trains in Europe are usually pretty reliable but...........you still have to plan for the worst.

If all you want to do is the Vatican, I would highly recommend a Vatican private guide (100 euros for the group when we did it last time). They will help you skip some lineups, take you to places where others don't go - it is incredible - we went to the room where the Pope goes before he accepts his position and prays. Incredible

I suggest you consider buying a BIRG ticket at the station in Civitavecchia. There's no need to purchased it in advance as they will not run out.

The BIRG will allow travel to and from Rome and transportation within Rome for 24 hours. Last I knew the cost was €9,50.

Lew

What time does your ship arrive/depart Civitavecchia? That will determine whether taking the train on your own and making a 10:30 tour, or finishing a 2:30 tour in time to get back to the ship on time, is feasible.

Here's the link for the train website ... the stop for the Vatican is Roma San Pietro.... it's a 20 minute or so walk from the station to the Vatican.

Slight correction, the BIRG (five zone, which covers Civitavecchia - Rome) is only €9,00.

I'm happy to stand corrected. My information came from somebody who told me the price had been raised to that amount.

Lew

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this will be helpful to you, but we just did this and we were on a shuttle taking us to the port entrance at 7:25. It only takes 5 min to where the shuttle drops you. Then you have about a 4-5 block walk (flat and easy) to the train station. We made the 7:59 train. We were headed to the colosseum, which is farther than San Pietro and we were there by 9:45. So if you want to get that early tour, I would be sure you're amongst the first off the ship and it shouldn't be a problem. The BIRG is such a deal, I would not prebook an express train.

Archived