Waterproof Mascara suggestions please...

01 Cobra

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, what is the best Waterproof Mascara? And, what are the best removal tips for Waterproof Mascara?

I also find that when I go to touch up my mascara it tends to get too "heavy" and sometimes clumps.

I'm looking for something to use on my next 2 cruises..leaving in 5 weeks!!

I currently use Este Lauder Moisture-Binding More than Mascara and I really like it, but it is not waterproof.

Thanks!!

hi ... i guess i consider myself a mascara freak...haha...i love trying out every new kind that comes along....i presonally prefer the maybelline brands...there are so many options...first of all, unless you have very dark hair, i'd suggest using a brown, brownish black, or light black...now, the maybelline line offers man options - mascaras for volume, length, and curl...the latest rage is the xxl volume and length, which i have and it tends to clump a lot...the #1 model used and best selling is the great lash which is always a well, great choice! if you curl your lashes, be sure to do it before applying mascara to prevent clumps...also, keep an eyelash comb handy when you reapply...for removal, my favorites are mary kay (if you prefer liquids) and almay (if you prefer a gel/lotion) to remove the mascara/eyeliner...the mary kay leaves the skin around your eyes feeling extra soft and silky, so its what i use most!...hope i helped...if u have any more specifications, let me know and ill try to update my advice!

I have great luck with Avon's Extreme Volume Waterproof Mascara. Although I bought some but haven't yet tried it -- I've heard wonderful things about Maybelline Unstoppable Mascara. I am a very teary-eyed person (allergies) and am always looking for a great waterproof mascara. I've been really happy with the Avon, but looking forward to testing out the Maybelline.

Although I haven't had too much problem with clumping (unless the mascara is old), I did buy an eyelash/brow brush at Target that works great. I have also found that using an eyelash conditioner before the mascara helps.

excited4SB05,

I have a friend who sells Mary Kay...I think I may order that remover and try it out as well as a couple of the Maybelline waterproof mascaras.

auntienace,

That's two votes for they eyelash comb/brush already. I normally use mine prior to applying and I don't use if before touch ups...I wear contacts and I'm scared of getting mascara flakes in my eyes! But it sounds like I may need to find a way around that.

missyal,

The Avon brand sounds like a wonderful deal.

Thanks everyone...maybe I'll get a few more replies and I'll give a few different ones a try before my cruise and decide which one to take.

While most of my cosmetics are Clinique or Lancome, for waterproof mascara:

Maybelline is the only one that I've found that really works.

I'm a long time contact wearer (from the old days of hard contacts!!), so I've always needed waterproof mascara. Over the years, I've tried many other brands, but none have worked as well as good old Maybelline. Go figure...

As for removal, at home I just use Ponds cold cream. When traveling, Maybelline makes a "moisturizing mascara remover" which comes in a very small container perfect for traveling!

HTH. Happy cruising everyone!

I brought the Maybelline Unstoppable Mascara last week. I loooove it!!! The brush is wonderful ;) ;) Makes your lashes look sooooooo long,thin with NO clumps . My allergies have been really bothering me this week....the Maybelline Unstoppable is holding :eek: I use baby oil to remove my eye make-up followed by Wei East White Lotus Cleansing Cream :D

I am sooo picky about my mascara. It must make my lashes look longer AND thincker AND shiny. And it must be waterproof (I wear contacts, too). The two best I have found are Maybelline Featherlash Waterproof and Almay One Coat Waterproof (and trust me, I have tried them all!)

I&Msmom, glad to see I'm not the only one still wearing contact lenses. My DH had that laser eye surgery, but I'm too chicken.

makeup face,

Maybelline Unstoppable Mascara will be one of my picks for sure.

Thanks everyone. :)

I love Avon's Wash Off Waterproof Mascara in Brown/Black for daytime or Navy Blue (makes eyes brighter) for night time. It is waterproof to tears & swimming, but washes off with soap & water or your basic facial soap. I wear contacts so I avoid oily eye makeup removers.

I like Lancome's Aquacils Waterproof mascara. It is the only one that I have found to really wear well and look good. It also is great for holding curl in the lashes. They have a remover to, but any waterproof remover should work.

As far as the clumps go, before applying wipe the brush against the opening of the tube and get off some of the excess. Clumps happen when too much product is applied at once, so you are better off using one or two light applications. Plus is stays on better that way. Also, brown or black-brown is great for outdoors, it looks for natural. Also, please do not remove with baby oil.

Good luck.

Terri/makeup101.com

I know because my bathroom is a graveyard for experimental mascara.

Hee! :D Mine too! I seem to buy a new mascara everytime I go into my nearby Ulta, which seems to be at least once a week. Drives my hubby crazy. But you know which one I keep going to back to? Cover Girl's "Fantastic Lash". I see from their website that it's now being offered in a waterproof formula.

My favorite used to L'Oreal's "Le Grand Curl", but they don't seem to make it anymore, and until I found the one I mentioned above, there wasn't ANYTHING that I liked as much.

I have been blessed with long eyelashes, must have been adopted as no one in my immediate family has them! Nonetheless it is actually harder to use mascara with longer lashes as they tend to stick together much easier and it is much more noticable due to the length. That said I have tried them ALL - department store, drugstore, etc. The best I have found is Lancome Defincils Waterproof, runs about $21 a tube but it lasts me 2-3 months where I have had several of the Maybelines and Loreal products last maybe 1-2 before it gets REALLY clumpy so actually isn't much more if you think about it lasting almost 2x longer. I am a thrifty person and for me to pay that much for mascara is something...for example I use AVON's Cream Eyemakeup remover that costs $1.99 -been using it for years and have contacts and doesn't bother my eyes or contacts at all. Just my 2cents!

Oh and one of your problems was that as you reapply you get more clumps - this stuff won't do that at all!

OK, I tried the Maybelline Unstoppable Mascara on Friday and it was pretty good...I did however have to apply a couple coats to get the look I like. It wore very well all day with no flakes or smudging and washed off easily with a makeup removing cloth that gets sudzy (sp?) when you get it wet.

I also tried the Maybelline Longest Lashes in the purple tube which is waterproof and this one I didn't like as much as the Unstoppable. It stuck to my lashes instead of coating them and I had to pull out the lash comb to pry my lashes apart. They didn't seem to look any longer than with the Unstoppable, and it was much harder to remove...I had to pull out the oil based make up remover.

OK...when I try more I will report back.

My next one is the Waterproof Maybelline Great Lash in Very Black.

I'm probablly working my way to having my own Mascara grave yard!!! I'm sure I'll find what I'm looking for though.

Hey...this is kind of fun.

But what do you do with "once used mascara anyways?"

oops, i posted the wrong name of my fave mascara... sorry! the one i love most is Maybelline's Full and Soft Waterproof in Black.

To answer your question, "what to do w/ the once used..." some stores will take them back if you keep the original packaging and the receipt. I know Wal*Mart always takes mine back (I tell them I was unhappy w/ the product, or that I had an allergic reaction to it, which sometimes happens, as i have topical allergies). I think Eckerd Drugs also has a guarantee policy on cosmetics, too.

OK, I tried the Maybelline Unstoppable Mascara on Friday and it was pretty good...I did however have to apply a couple coats to get the look I like. It wore very well all day with no flakes or smudging and washed off easily with a makeup removing cloth that gets sudzy (sp?) when you get it wet.

I also tried the Maybelline Illegal Lengths in the purple tube which is waterproof and this one I didn't like as much as the Unstoppable. It stuck to my lashes instead of coating them and I had to pull out the lash comb to pry my lashes apart. They didn't seem to look any longer than with the Unstoppable, and it was much harder to remove...I had to pull out the oil based make up remover.

OK...when I try more I will report back.

My next one is the Waterproof Maybelline Great Lash in Very Black.

I'm probablly working my way to having my own Mascara grave yard!!! I'm sure I'll find what I'm looking for though.

Hey...this is kind of fun.

But what do you do with "once used mascara anyways?"

OK..sorry, I meant Illegal Lengths in the purple tube. I goofed. hope the correction works.

I also got the Maybelline Unstoppable Mascara last week and have been in the pool with it several times and it didn't smudge like most of the other brands do. I will be using this one on my next cruise.

Lancome just came out with a brand new waterproof mascara this month that is supposed to be amazing! Here is the link to read about it.

http://www.lancome-usa.com/_us/_en/makeup/animations/hypnosewaterproof/index.aspx?CategoryCode=AXEMakeup2&&&

I currently use Benefit Bad Gal Mascara - I love it. It's not waterproof though.

I like the Almay Eye Makeup Remover Pads - has to be the oil free ones though!

I brought the Maybelline Unstoppable Mascara last week. I loooove it!!! The brush is wonderful ;) ;) Makes your lashes look sooooooo long,thin with NO clumps . My allergies have been really bothering me this week....the Maybelline Unstoppable is holding :eek: I use baby oil to remove my eye make-up followed by Wei East White Lotus Cleansing Cream :D

After reading this thread last night . . . I went to the store today to buy Maybelline Unstoppabeble Mascara. But it said that Unstoppable Mascara was smudeproof (I know I spelled that wrong) . . . not waterproof. I ended up buying Great Lash (read that some really liked it). I've been using Almay One Coat for more years than I can remember but wanted to try something new . . . especially something that was waterproof. Is Unstoppable Mascara waterproof?

No, it's not waterproof...just smudgeproof...however, we do have Char who posted above and said it didn't "smudge" in the pool after a swim soooo, maybe it's just that good. I have only used mine once and not in the pool and I did have good results after wearing it all day long. It washes off easily with soap and water.

My favorite mascara is by Tova. It's not waterproof but is the best mascara I've used and I wear contacts.

I don't even take mascara on vacation anymore. Right before my vacation I have my eyelashes tinted. It costs $15 and lasts 4 - 6 weeks. My lashes look great and no smudging!! HTH

Lisa :)

My favorite mascara is by Tova. It's not waterproof but is the best mascara I've used and I wear contacts.

I don't even take mascara on vacation anymore. Right before my vacation I have my eyelashes tinted. It costs $15 and lasts 4 - 6 weeks. My lashes look great and no smudging!! HTH

Lisa :)

Eek! :eek: You're braver than I am. I don't like anything with a dye or tint in it that close to my eyes. But then I've had some bad experiences.

Let's see, I've had my eye lashes fall out from an allergy to a certain mascara (It was Aziza, which I don't think is even made anymore, and this was many many years ago), and then just a couple of years ago I got my eyebrows bleached, and the bleach caused them to all fall out. I have to pencil in my brows to this day. :(

Ah, how we suffer for beauty. :rolleyes:

Eek! :eek: You're braver than I am. I don't like anything with a dye or tint in it that close to my eyes. But then I've had some bad experiences.

Let's see, I've had my eye lashes fall out from an allergy to a certain mascara (It was Aziza, which I don't think is even made anymore, and this was many many years ago), and then just a couple of years ago I got my eyebrows bleached, and the bleach caused them to all fall out. I have to pencil in my brows to this day. :(

Ah, how we suffer for beauty. :rolleyes:

My eyebrows are very thin and the older I get, they have somehow gone from brown to gray. I use a brush and brown eyeshadow . . . I think it looks a lot more natural than pencil. I've tried pencil but no matter how hard I try . . . my eyebrows always look like they're painted on.

The best thing I have ever found for eyebrows is Benefit's Brow Zing. It has one square of color and one square of wax, a neat little angled brush and tweezers. Ask the salesperson to try it out on you, you'll love it and with the brush it's easy to do yourself. I was using Laura Mercie (SP?) pencil and the benefit looks sooo much better. A well done eyebrow really frames your face and draws attention to your eyes.

As for mascara I always used Lancome and their waterproof is pretty good. Now I've switched to Clinque's Lash Doubling mascara and I love it. It doesn't make your lashes stiff. I tried their "Super Lash" or something like that--in the green tube and it was very clumpy. Don't know if Lash Doubling comes in waterproof though.

Archived