Rome Strike???

anboricua76

Heard about a strike in Rome? We will be on the Carnival Magic next week. We are a little worried, does anyone have information on the strike. Thanks, Arelis & Roberto:confused:

Here is some information on strike dates in Italy on September 6, 15, 17 and 19, 2011

http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

From the BBC wire today within the past hour, they have this headline: "Italians launch general strike against austerity" with these highlights: "Flights have been cancelled, trains and buses are stationary, and government offices have been shut across Italy. The government has faced criticism over a 45bn-euro (£40bn) austerity package, and has been scrambling to revise it. CGIL, which called the general strike, is Italy's largest union federation. It is demanding stronger action against tax dodgers and continuing job protection. It has been infuriated by a new clause that will make it easier to dismiss workers. Smaller, more moderate union federations have rejected the strike. They say there is no point in striking against employers when everybody's jobs are at risk. Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's centre-right coalition has been forced into urgent government spending cuts and tax raises by Italy's eurozone partners. Parliament is due to pass into law this week a much amended version of an austerity plan drawn up hastily during the August holidays at the insistence of the European Central Bank."

Like in Greece, it is about how to trim budgets, cut deficits, deal with financial challenges to get more money from other Europe nations, etc.

Full story at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14798534

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 36,640 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This article (in English) about the strike in Italy on Tuesday reminded me of my first trip to the Colosseum, in 2001. When we walked up to the entrance (it was located where the exit is today) there was a handwritten note taped to the gate saying they were closed for a strike. As I didn't know any Italian at that point it took me a while with my dictionary to figure out what was going on.

What surprises me in this article are the numbers. It says that "more than 50 percent" of train connections were canceled and "70% of public buses in Rome, Naples and Turin", as well as "200 flights". For some reason these numbers sound low to me, for something billed as a national strike.

http://ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/english/2011/09/06/visualizza_new.html_727027667.html

• 3 weeks later...

We were luckily in Roma on the Tuesday before this strike on the 6th September and did the whole day DIY on the train. It must be very disappointing for those who plan their day DIY and arrive to find a strike. Do the cuise ships advise you of this while you are on board, it would be a very good way for them to sell extra excursions...

Am I wrong ? Seems striking workers are mostly government and some transportation employees. In both Italy and Greece private taxi's, tours

and services booked in advance and provided by the "private sector" are

still operating. Certainly they are effected if bus's trains and airports

in strike mode. But, if the plane gets you there private transportation

is available, isn't it ?

Am I wrong ? Seems striking workers are mostly government and some transportation employees. In both Italy and Greece private taxi's, tours

and services booked in advance and provided by the "private sector" are

still operating. Certainly they are effected if bus's trains and airports

in strike mode. But, if the plane gets you there private transportation

is available, isn't it ?

Hi Skippyy!

Having just returned from our cruise where we encountered strikes in Florence and Athens---I speak from experience:

All public transportation was not running. I think the taxis were on strike too but I'm not sure.

Yes, the private and ship tours are still operating but the problem is that most of the people staffing the museums and places of interest can't get to work without the public transportation and without enough help the places don't open. In Florence the museums were closed but the shops were open. In Athens we could get into most sites.

In Greece the taxis were on strike as well.

The ship kept us well informed about what was going on with the strikes.

Archived