Best Month for a Mediterranean Cruise?

We are looking into a Mediterranean Cruise to Italy, Greece, and Turkey for next year. We want to avoid July and August since it will be so hot and more crowded. So we are thinking May, June or September. Will it be too cool for the beach in early May? Right now we are looking into the Grand Princess--they have this itinerary out for 2006 and it was my favorite itinerary after researching the ones for 2005. But I have never sailed on Princess before. It goes to Civitavecchia, Naples, Santorini, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Piraeus, Olympia, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Croatia, and Venice. Thanks for your help!

There really is NO "best month"...Anytime you can go cruise the Mediterranean is good. I've done it in August, and, despite what you hear from some folks, it really isn't all that bad. Some of us enjoy hot weather...and the hot weather is not what some of you think of as hot weather, not that Florida kind of hot and muggy...It's the same basic climate as Southern California...it gets hot, but there's extremely low humidity...it can actually be quite comfortable, especially when you get to wander around in shorts and T-shirts all day. As to "crowds", it's pretty much overblown...I've been in the region in August, with the supposed crowds and in December when, alledgedly, no one's around...and the difference isn't all that great. Certain sites will have some lines-- like the St. Mark's Cathedral at Piazza San Marco or the Acropolis in Athens...but on the whole, it's not that hard to deal with...

Ideally, though, I'd say June is optimal--for the best weather and slightly lesser crowds. Too early or too late in the season and you could get rain (In Mediterranean climates it almost never rains in June, July or August).

We go in July or August, usually, because with my wife working for a school district, that's when we can get away for long periods...And I have NEVER been disappointed about having to travel in Europe in July and August. Never had a problem with it. I will go any time I can.

We cruised the Med the last week of July through the first week of August. We found some cities hotter than others. Our worst experience was Venice during the first week of August. It was very hot and crowded. On one hot afternoon we returned to our room at the Hotel Danieli and took all our clothes off and sat in front of the air conditioner. We were very uncomfortable. We have lived in Florida and California and would have to say, that our weather was more like Florida (with the humidity) than California. Even our gondolier told us not to visit in August--too hot and too crowded was his comment. Even with the heat, we enjoyed our vacation to the Med very much.

hi, My favorite time to go to the Med is in September. We have been there in July, August, September and November, 3 times in September. July and August were too busy for me. One year we were there the last week of August and the first week of September, it was amazing how much of the crowds disapeared after Labor Day Weekend, and the prices went down in Septmeber too. The weather in September is still beautiful, hot summer temperatures. Last year we went in July because we brought our kids with us and we had to wait until they had finished school, I personally won't go in the summer again unless I have to, like our situation last year. Your itinerary looks great! I too, chose my cruises by their itinerary. Our's last year was similar, Venice to Barcelona, 12 nights on Celebrity's Millennium. My recommendation would be to go in June or September, not when the kids are out of school. But, of course, you'll love it whatever time of year you go!!

I am also a teacher and I have to travel to Europe when I have time. We have gone in both July and Aug. and as Steve said ,it can be hot,but not unbearable! We were in Pompeii in Aug. and that was very humid, however the rest of the time things were very comfortable! Anytime to travel is a good time!

Karen

Here are a few:

Princess, RCCL, Celebrity, Windstar, Seabourn, Oceanic, Crystal, Silverseas, Orient and Seadream

I got those from ***** site where you can search for cruise lines leaving from Barcelona.

Here are the ones that visit Barcelona:

Costa, MSC, Seabourn, Celebrity, HAL, Princess, Orient, Crystal, RCCL, Silverseas, Windstar, Seadream, Radison, Oceanic, Crystal, Carnival, NCL and Cunard.

It looks like almost everyone either starts a cruise there or visits there. These are from April 2005 through December.

Have a great next cruise.

Lauren, we did the cruise you are thinking about (Civitavecchia, Naples, Santorini, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Piraeus, Olympia, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Croatia, and Venice) last April on the Star Princess. We thought the weather was about right. The water at the beaches might be too cool for you to enjoy swimming, but it was quite warm during shore excursions. I would certainly consider April, May and September for a Mediterranean cruise, but I wouldn't go in June, July or August if I could avoid it. The sun is quite strong and the crowds are worse.

But the itinerary you are planning is really outstanding. It was the best trip we have ever taken and I plan to do it again as soon as I get a few other 'must see' destinations out of the way.

I'm considering the Golden Greek Isles cruise for 2006. Which ports have the best beaches? I would like to have some BEACH (easy ie: Mykonos) days mixed with some TOURING (more exhausting . . .ie Athens and Rome) days.

THANKS

We did Barcelona to Venice on Princess (the Golden) the end of May/beg of June 2003 and it was the perfect time to go. There was a bit of a heat wave, so it ended up being very hot in most of the ports. I think May or Sept are the best times to go due to slightly smaller crowds and more moderate temperatures. I don't think you'd have problems with it being too cold for beach days in May or Sept.

Archived