Honora Pepinry Degree for Jaques

hondorner

As a graduate of Boston University's Metropolitan College (their night school), I occasionally receive news mailings. I was surprised and pleased when I received the most recent mailing, from Commencement 2011, to read that Metropolitan College had awarded Jacques an honorary Doctorate of Human Letters on May 22. He was recognized for his contributions to BU, including his role as co-founder (with Julia Child) of the Metropolitan College masters' program in gastronomy.

He's been a part-tome faculty member at MET since 1983 and has taught hundreds of BU students. He has also drawn over 10,000 residents of Boston to BU by hosting seminars, demonstrations and special cooking events through MET's Lifelong Learning Program. In 2005, he received the Outstanding Part-Time Faculty award.

With his typical sense of humor, Pepin quipped, "There is a certain irony for me to get an doctoral degree from BU. It shows how much the world of food has changed in America, when I consider that my thesis was turned down by Columbia University as not academic enough."

Qupoted from the article, "Pepin's involvement with MET helped to launch food into mainstream academics. He has established a teaching legacy at MET that approaches cuisine from a perspective in which creativity is enabled by skillfulness...Under his guidance, [the programs] have developed into highly regarded academic and professional credentials."

I guess now we'll have to greet him as "Doctor Pepin"! :)

As a graduate of Boston University's Metropolitan College (their night school), I occasionally receive news mailings. I was surprised and pleased when I received the most recent mailing, from Commencement 2011, to read that Metropolitan College had awarded Jacques an honorary Doctorate of Human Letters on May 22. He was recognized for his contributions to BU, including his role as co-founder (with Julia Child) of the Metropolitan College masters' program in gastronomy.

He's been a part-tome faculty member at MET since 1983 and has taught hundreds of BU students. He has also drawn over 10,000 residents of Boston to BU by hosting seminars, demonstrations and special cooking events through MET's Lifelong Learning Program. In 2005, he received the Outstanding Part-Time Faculty award.

With his typical sense of humor, Pepin quipped, "There is a certain irony for me to get an doctoral degree from BU. It shows how much the world of food has changed in America, when I consider that my thesis was turned down by Columbia University as not academic enough."

Qupoted from the article, "Pepin's involvement with MET helped to launch food into mainstream academics. He has established a teaching legacy at MET that approaches cuisine from a perspective in which creativity is enabled by skillfulness...Under his guidance, [the programs] have developed into highly regarded academic and professional credentials."

I guess now we'll have to greet him as "Doctor Pepin"! :)

"I'm a Pepin, she's a Pepin, wouldn't you like to be a Pepin too" :D Couldn't resist.

"I'm a Pepin, she's a Pepin, wouldn't you like to be a Pepin too" :D Couldn't resist.

A nice tribute to a deserving man.

BTW, we have a Dr.Pepper - that's our black Lab's full name (but we just call him Pepper) - he's on my Avatar :D

Don,

Thank you for sharing this with us. What an honor for Jacques! It sounds like he was very deserving of it, too.

I would love to take one of Oceania's Pepin cruises some day. Just today, I spent a lot of time on the Oceania blog and enjoyed all of the postings and pictures of the wonderful food on O.

Like sitraveler said, you have been missed. Hope you will start 'showing up' more often here on the Oceania board and on our Roll Call.

Judy

(and Judy, too) Welcome back, we were wondering what happened to you.

Lou & Marsha

Some of you may kniow that Betsy and I were on an epic journey -- left Florida on May 1, traveled across the northern states to Vancouver, BC by June 20. Then flew to Anchorage, took the 5 day bus and train tour to Denali, etc., then sailed back to Vancouver on Regatta, arriving July 11.

heading home, we drove down the Pacific coast, hitting most of the National Parks, turning east at Josuha Tree NP, up to Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Salt Lake City, then turning south again to Albuquerque, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans and finally the Florida Panhandle, before getting back to Florida a little more than a week ago.

It was the trip of a lifetime, nearly 120 days, well over 11,000 miles on the little RV, picture perfect weather (although cold for us Floridians until the third week of July when we finally got out of mountains and snow). No major problems, and we're still married and best friends after all that time together in what is essentially an oversized van.

Some of you may remember the Itinerary Idol contest; the Alaska cruise was our prize for coming in second in the contest. We were originally booked in an OS but happily traded down to a PH1 when we found out some folks wanted the OS more than we did and were willing to pay for it. The OS would have been a bit too grand for us and out of our comfort zone, anyway. This was a marvelous cruise, fabulous in every way, and was the motivation for us to drive across the country and back, something we have wanted to do for years. We can't thank Oceania and FDR enough for the trip and cruise of a lifetime.

Some of you may know that Betsy and I were on an epic journey -- left Florida on May 1, traveled across the northern states to Vancouver, BC by June 20. Then flew to Anchorage, took the 5 day bus and train tour to Denali, etc., then sailed back to Vancouver on Regatta, arriving July 11.

heading home, we drove down the Pacific coast, hitting most of the National Parks, turning east at Josuha Tree NP, up to Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Salt Lake City, then turning south again to Albuquerque, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans and finally the Florida Panhandle, before getting back to Florida a little more than a week ago.

It was the trip of a lifetime, nearly 120 days, well over 11,000 miles on the little RV, picture perfect weather (although cold for us Floridians until the third week of July when we finally got out of mountains and snow). No major problems, and we're still married and best friends after all that time together in what is essentially an oversized van.

Some of you may remember the Itinerary Idol contest; the Alaska cruise was our prize for coming in second in the contest. We were originally booked in an OS but happily traded down to a PH1 when we found out some folks wanted the OS more than we did and were willing to pay for it. The OS would have been a bit too grand for us and out of our comfort zone, anyway. This was a marvelous cruise, fabulous in every way, and was the motivation for us to drive across the country and back, something we have wanted to do for years. We can't thank Oceania and FDR enough for the trip and cruise of a lifetime.

Wow! That really does sound like the trip of a lifetime! What wonderful memories you made. I hope we get to see more of our beautiful country someday, too. We have seen quite a lot, but none of the Northwest. The closest we have been to that part of the country is Colorado. Buddy just retired last summer, so we have a lot of traveling to do while we are still able.

I do remember you winning second place in that contest. Who won first place and what was the itinerary?

Don and Betsy, Glad you had such a wonderful trip. What a wonderful way to spend the summer!

Even though I know you don't have much room in your van, I hope Betsy took her watercolors along. I can only imagine what wonderful pictures she could come up with in the grandeur of Alaska and the Rockies.

Welcome back to CC!!!

Kay & Tarmo

Archived