Just Did PreCruise Hotel Stay In Venice

firecapt25

Just had my PCC add a precruise hotel stay before our cruise next year 10/13/2012) on the Jade in Venice for 2 nights at the Crown Plaza I know its on the main land but train station is right behind hotel 30 minutes to downtown Venice. Has any one stayed here before and is it a nice hotel.

Also is it easy to get to from the main train station we will be coming from Salzburg Austria.

Although it's not entirely clear from your post, it sounds like you have booked a hotel near the Venice Mestre train station, correct? If so, you'd just get off the train there as it is the stop just prior to Venice Santa Lucia, the actual train station in Venice.

Is there any particular reason you are choosing to stay there rather than in Venice?

Personally I would not choose to stay on the mainland. It takes too much time to get to Venice and back and certainly it is not as charming as staying in Venice. One of the nice things about having your hotel in Venice is that everything is easily accessible by foot and water taxi, and you can go back to your hotel easily if you want to change your clothes or rest. Being outside of Venice means that you probably wouldn't have that option. There are many hotels around the Venice train station that are reasonably priced that you can book on your own. Having been to Venice, that's just my opinion.

According to my Google search for your hotel it is NOT located in Mestre, the city right before you reach Venice proper but is in Quarto d'Altino.

I do not think it is a great location for a first visit to this MOST interesting city. I don't know what a "PCC" is but they probably put you there because it is fairly cheap and a fairly new hotel.

In my opinion when in Europe your location is just about the most important criteria for a hotel! You can find something much better in terms of location and at a decent price! I would NOT stay in that hotel.

Hi again - I just noticed that your cruise is not until next year. You have plenty of time to look at other hotel options. Most hotels aren't even booking for October, 2012 yet. There are a lot of good suggestions for hotels here on the boards. Best of luck.

Your hotel gets good reviews on tripadvisor. Check the reviews on www.venere.com as well.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g227671-d488915-Reviews-Crowne_Plaza_Venice_East_Quarto_d_Altino-Quarto_D_Altino_Veneto.html

You certainly get a lot more bang for your buck by staying on the mainland; modernized rooms,elevators, etc. Staying in Venice is much more convenient tho. As previous poster said ... it's nice to refresh in your room when you need a break and take an evening stroll. But it all depends on your budget and your travel style.

I don't know what the Crown's rate, but you might want to check these hotels in the Piazzale Roma area of Venice (near the pier). Best Western Olimpia, Santa Chiara, and Antiche Figura are all popular with folks on cruises. (They don't provide a free shuttle from the airport but the ATVO express bus is only 5E.)

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

That site has lots of great info about Venice if you take the time to read thru.

I will keep looking, I know good ways out but I do like the bundling of the cruise and hotel, but as most of you have said need to experience Venice it self close up.

Do not forget that a cruisline charges PER PERSON fopr a room,transfers etc.You can book a room for the room not per person.As another poster said you are probably paing a premium through the cruiseline and there are some really nice hotles in Venice...just read this board.Good luck whatever you do and enjoy your cruise.

Archived