For those of you who've been "re-routed"...

valancy1

We have a cruise coming up on Sunday. There is a tropical "cyclone" (??) that is out there in the Atlantic.

For those of you who've had itinerary changes on Carnival before, would you kindly share how you came to find this out and when? Did you have to wait to get on the ship? Were you notified or did you find out by going to a specific place on-line (and where was that), or...?

I would appreciate any feedback. I've never been "re-routed" and I'm just trying to figure this out.

Thanks in advance...

We have a cruise coming up on Sunday. There is a tropical "cyclone" (??) that is out there in the Atlantic.

For those of you who've had itinerary changes on Carnival before, would you kindly share how you came to find this out and when? Did you have to wait to get on the ship? Were you notified or did you find out by going to a specific place on-line (and where was that), or...?

I would appreciate any feedback. I've never been "re-routed" and I'm just trying to figure this out.

Thanks in advance...

LAst august on the dream we were scheduled for an eastern trip

There was a storm we were watching brew looked like is wasn't going anywhere

The morning of the cruise checked with the ccl website and no announcements

Border the ship at 11 or so. No announcements

About 330 pm right before sail away announcement came over the pa that we were changing to the western and was followed by note delivered to the cabins

Btw we had a great trip even though it was my 4 th time to the west

Last September on the Freedom we were scheduled for Cozumel/Costa Rica/Panama and so was Hurricane Matthew. The night before the cruise I received a voicemail on my cell phone that there had been a change in our itinerary and to check the Carnival website for further information.

Went to the little internet cafe in the hotel and in the upper left corner of the Carnival website there was a link in red for itinerary changes. That's when I saw that they were now changing to an Eastern itinerary.

At the port, we also received a letter apologizing for the change and the new route. Once on board at about 2:00 p.m., they announced over the speakers that the hurricane had changed directions and we were back on our original itinerary.

Talk about not knowing whether you're coming or going. LOL

Thanks in advance...

If a change is made before you board, normally Carnival will post updates online and notify you by email. If a change is made once you have embarked, annoucements will be made and you will receive a letter, usually from the captain, in your stateroom. Also, I believe once Carnival posts an update online, there will be instructions on how to receive updates via text message.

Only good piece of information is the tail on the current projected 5-day path is tropical storm winds. The last couple of updates have had it at hurricane winds. Of course, these are only projections, still 5 days out.

Was that the August 28th sailing on the Dream? Because we were on the August 21st sailing and we knew when we disembarked that you folks were going Western like we did. Wonder why they waited to tell you all?

LAst august on the dream we were scheduled for an eastern trip

There was a storm we were watching brew looked like is wasn't going anywhere

The morning of the cruise checked with the ccl website and no announcements

Border the ship at 11 or so. No announcements

About 330 pm right before sail away announcement came over the pa that we were changing to the western and was followed by note delivered to the cabins

Btw we had a great trip even though it was my 4 th time to the west

great question-thank you for asking it!

I also would like to know how to stay in the loop. I signed up for texts-will continue to check my email as we fly in, and also carnivals website. Any other means of communication I should be plugged into?

Last October we sailed in the Ecstasy and we were supposed to port in Cozumel and Progresso. There was a Hurricane and we did not find out until the day we were supposed to port that they were doing a detour. They did an announcement and that night placed a letter under the door explaining everything in detail. We ended up visiting 1 port only. This port did not get a cruise there in years!!! It was Veracruz Mexico. They were so excited they even let the school out early to see us arrive. The port sucked! But they sure kept us busy in the ship and we still had fun. besides they compensated us pretty good with a discount on the next cruise.:cool: I am actually booked to go again this December in the Triumph to the same route and hopefully I will get to see Cozumel this time! :D

On our first cruise on the Glory there was a storm at sea and we were re-routed from scheduled St. Thomas stop to San Juan. They made announcements during the day, at the show that night, and slipped notes in the cabins.

The storm was so bad the singer in the theatre that night had a hard time standing up on the stage and had to hold on to the curtain a couple of times to stay upright. It seemed about half the passengers and some of the crew were sea-sick that night.

Carnival re-imbursed us for our scheduled excursion in St. Thomas and we got out and walked around San Juan, when to the fort and had a good time.

great question-thank you for asking it!

I also would like to know how to stay in the loop. I signed up for texts-will continue to check my email as we fly in, and also carnivals website. Any other means of communication I should be plugged into?

The text alerts and JH FB page are the top 2. Carnival website is updated after those.

I was allowed one day of celebration after I felt confident (from the NOAA site projections) that Katia would not affect our cruise this Sunday (out of Baltimore). Then the next thing I see, we're trying to dodge another bullet named Maria that's hustling herself along just so she can muck up my trip!

I'm hoping we stay as close to our itinerary as possible, but even more so, I'm just praying that we won't all be good and seasick. Thank goodness after Irene, I had the foresight to call my doctor and ask for the stronger motion sickness meds... just in case. :(

We were on the Dream 7/30-8/6.

They started by sending a note early in the cruise saying that they were keeping an eye on the storm out there somewhere. I told my wife that we were not going to St Thomas and St Maarten. I could have been wrong, but it seemed like they were softening the blow.

Then Gary, the cruise director, informed us of the changes in the schedule. They had excursions available in about an hour...we booked right away and all of them sold out.

One budgeting note--if you booked a private excursion and the route gets changed, all reputable ones will credit your account BUT you won't have access to those funds right away. I will budget an extra day's excursion money in case this ever happens again... Carnival bookings appeared to have been credited right (as it should be).

Was that the August 28th sailing on the Dream? Because we were on the August 21st sailing and we knew when we disembarked that you folks were going Western like we did. Wonder why they waited to tell you all?

Sure was !

No clue why they didn't tell us sooner

I won a bet with our travel mates. We were on the lido after lunch and I bet them they would change it a round , the folks siting near said "oh please don't say that. They were getting married in St Thomas "

I wAs half kidding the groom telling him he dodged a bullet

Cause we were going to change really felt sorry for them as they did not make thier wedding

Thanks in advance...

We were handed a sheet of paper as we arrived at the port.

Luckily the hurricane had hit Costa Maya 2 weeks before our cruise and the two cruises before ours had switched Costa Maya and Belize to Key West and Progresso.

I read about those two cruises in here and was prepared when the Carnival representative handed me the sheet with the new itinerary.

Bill

We were handed a piece of paper stating that there was a hurricane that may alter our itinarary. Also stated that safety was the number one priority. We were given this paper as soon as we embarked the ship. Not a big deal as we knew the hurricane was out there and that we could be rerouted. The next day we were notified by the CD (over the loud speaker thingy) that we were gonna miss our port since the hurricane was headed to Key West and we would go to Freeport instead. I think they also delivered a paper stating the same thing soon after the announcement.

We were on the Miracle 8/2/11 and they sent a note with the first night's Fun times that we might have to chance course. It was officially announced the next day by the captain via the sound system to many screams and what not. I was sad we missed HMC as I had the Private Oasis booked and we missed Nassau, but we were on our cruise and were safe. I hope it works out for you! We had a fabulous cruise.

If the itinerary changes do you have to pay the difference? If so, when and how do they notify you?

There are no additional charges if the itinerary changes. You may receive a refund (on-board credit) of port fees if you miss a port or a prorated refund if your cruise is a day or more late leaving or early returning. Even though they are under no obligation to do so, every once in awhile, Carnival may offer a small on-board credit compensation if the itinerary is severely changed, like a three port cruise that ends up being a cruise to nowhere.

On the 9/1/11 Triumph, we left dock 4 hours late, but we were on board and having a good time.

We got an extra half day on our cruise thanks to TS Lee closing the entrance to the Missippi River. We didn't disembark until 7pm and there was about 800 people left on board.

They kept us notified by PA, not sure how they notified those waiting for the next cruise, but they were alot of people waiting there and some people being dropped off by cabs.

Archived