Transport from Mia to port

Butterflower

Hi, i need advice On how to get from Mia airport to the port of Miami.

We are with three adults and 2 children aged 2 and 9months. For our 9 month old we got à babycarrier/carseat , but we do not for our almost 3 year old. It is not an option to bring à carseat for her, because we are travelling from europe to curacao (where we rent a car with seat) first, and to nyc after our cruise. We would only need it for our transfer and i don't want to take à carseat around the world for 10 Miles.

Are there taxi's at Mia that will fit us? Do i need à carseat in à cab?

It is the law in the state of Florida that children be in approved child restraints, which includes taxis. If you don't want to bring a car seat, you can arrange for a car service to provide one, or take a shuttle that does not require car seats. Five people will not fit into a cab anyway, so you'll have to arrange for some sort of pick-up service in advance.

If not for the approved child restraints you could have used a taxi, but a taxi van rather than a sedan. But that will not help you given the lack of a child seat.

If you go to the Super Shuttle web site at http://www.supershuttle.com you can get the phone number to make a reservation for a shuttle. You may want to book a private shuttle. They'll go over the costs with you. Their web site is http://www.supershuttle.com

Keith

Florida Child Restraint Requirements - Children 3 and younger must be secured in a federally approved child-restraint seat.

Sorry, I don't mean the above to be bolded, its the way to copied off the Florida Seat Belt Site. :o But it is what it is.

Outside Miami airport is the only airport where we have been asked "Where is your car seat?" when we were standing in the taxi line. I had it strapped to my back so I just turned around and the dispatcher allowed the next taxi up.

So take it for what its worth. For us, the "10 miles" was worth it because I didn't want to stand there and be denied a taxi. And we carried two car seats with us.

Why is it not an option for you to bring the car seat with you from Europe? Your child should ideally be using a car seat on the airplane.

We always used something called the traveling toddler, it's basically a strap that allows you to attach your child's carseat to your rolling suitcase, plus the child can ride in it. Our kids loved it and it helped us when transporting the seat through the airport.

I highly recommend you bring your own carseats from home for both of your children. Why take a chance with your child's safety, even if it's only "10 miles"?

Archived