Halifax Suggestions for Titanic Enthusiasts

kathy884

Booked our cruise for next August (Mini five day Carnival Glory) after our annual mini NY/NJ trip to visit NJ relatives.

DS (16) has wanted to do a cruise for a long time / told him we could do a mini one in 2012 (year of 100th anniversary of Titanic sinking). and we'd be on the North Atlantic and stop in Halifax which, of course, has lots of Titanic History. He's really into Titanic History, etc. Booking yesterday for next August means I'm keeping my promise.

We just have two port stops: For St. John we'll do an organized tour to see quaint fishing villages and walk the sea floor in the area if timing works out. DS is really into photography, so thinks he'll enjoy this port and taking pictures on this tour. DH and I will definately enjoy this tour too I think.

For Halifax we want our major focus to be on Titanic stuff and do other things just if time permits. Thought we'd walk over to the Maritime Museum (understand that they have a Titanic floor) // know DS would really be intereted in visiting here and we'd all find it interesting. We also want to visit the Titanic cemetary. Would we get more from this by doing a tour vs. going on our own? I'm thinking yes, but would love to hear opinions. Not really interested in doing a Peggy's Cove/Titanic combo tour, and the only tour I saw of just the Titanic was grayline: http://www.grayline.com/Canada_-_Halifax/Titanic_100_Year_Experience_Tour // Has anyone done this one? Sounds like they do more picking up people at hotels than from cruise port, but I'm sure we could make arrangements and meet up with them.

Anyway, my current thoughts for Halifax are to do the grayline Titanic graveyard tour and then the Maritime museum on our own. (Titanic stuff first and take as much time as we want). And after that do more exploring in Halifax on our own. // Would love to hear others thoughts / opinions.

Any other suggestions of things to see and/or other tour suggestions for a huge Titanic buff in Halifax?

FYI: Other Titanic Tourist Things we've done on travels to other places just to give you an idea of other things DS has found interesting and that we enjoyed too:

DS has seen the Titanic attractions in Orlando (three times) and Branson (twice), been to the traveling artifact exhibit as well as the one with the hull on display in Las Vegas, visited the Titanic memorial in DC, visited NYC piers 54 (empty now, but where the Carpathia dropped off Titanic passangers -- DS was thrilled to see the old White Star sign) and NYC pier 59 (Where Carpathia dropped off lifeboats). Also on a ski trip out to Colorado this coming Christmas, we're going to spend a day in Denver to get used to the altitude and go see the Molly Brown house.

• 6 months later...
Booked our cruise for next August (Mini five day Carnival Glory) after our annual mini NY/NJ trip to visit NJ relatives.

DS (16) has wanted to do a cruise for a long time / told him we could do a mini one in 2012 (year of 100th anniversary of Titanic sinking). and we'd be on the North Atlantic and stop in Halifax which, of course, has lots of Titanic History. He's really into Titanic History, etc. Booking yesterday for next August means I'm keeping my promise.

We just have two port stops: For St. John we'll do an organized tour to see quaint fishing villages and walk the sea floor in the area if timing works out. DS is really into photography, so thinks he'll enjoy this port and taking pictures on this tour. DH and I will definately enjoy this tour too I think.

For Halifax we want our major focus to be on Titanic stuff and do other things just if time permits. Thought we'd walk over to the Maritime Museum (understand that they have a Titanic floor) // know DS would really be intereted in visiting here and we'd all find it interesting. We also want to visit the Titanic cemetary. Would we get more from this by doing a tour vs. going on our own? I'm thinking yes, but would love to hear opinions. Not really interested in doing a Peggy's Cove/Titanic combo tour, and the only tour I saw of just the Titanic was grayline: http://www.grayline.com/Canada_-_Halifax/Titanic_100_Year_Experience_Tour // Has anyone done this one? Sounds like they do more picking up people at hotels than from cruise port, but I'm sure we could make arrangements and meet up with them.

Anyway, my current thoughts for Halifax are to do the grayline Titanic graveyard tour and then the Maritime museum on our own. (Titanic stuff first and take as much time as we want). And after that do more exploring in Halifax on our own. // Would love to hear others thoughts / opinions.

Any other suggestions of things to see and/or other tour suggestions for a huge Titanic buff in Halifax?

FYI: Other Titanic Tourist Things we've done on travels to other places just to give you an idea of other things DS has found interesting and that we enjoyed too:

DS has seen the Titanic attractions in Orlando (three times) and Branson (twice), been to the traveling artifact exhibit as well as the one with the hull on display in Las Vegas, visited the Titanic memorial in DC, visited NYC piers 54 (empty now, but where the Carpathia dropped off Titanic passangers -- DS was thrilled to see the old White Star sign) and NYC pier 59 (Where Carpathia dropped off lifeboats). Also on a ski trip out to Colorado this coming Christmas, we're going to spend a day in Denver to get used to the altitude and go see the Molly Brown house.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO kathy884: I am a Titanic buff myself. I took the Titanic tour many years ago. It was really good, however, it has changed. They take you to the Nautical Museum and they used to take you to the Fairview Cemetery where some that drowned are interred. The guide gave some interesting stories about some of the passengers that are buried there. The tour no longer takes you to the Cemetery anymore though. At the Nautical Museum the top two floors are dedicated to the Titanic. I am sure some of the things have changed somewhat since I was there last and since this year is the 100th anniversary of it's maiden voyage and sinking they will probably have some special things going on.

When you are in NYC pier, I believe it is 17, is where the Titanic was supposed to go after it came to NYC.

There are special T.V. shows on for the commemoration of the Titanic fate.

I am also a Titanic buff...would love to do this cruise and will one day.

I just finished a great book called "and the band played on" by Christoper Ward grandson of Jock Hume. He has quite a bit of information on the cemetery (where his grandfather is burried) and Halifax if your intrested before you go

I live in the area and have been anticipating some of the Titanic items that should be coming up over the summer months. If I see anything that's taking place, I'll try to remember to post it here.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO CandadianBaldGuy: I am coming up in the fall, in October, if you see anything for then I'd appreciate it if you let us know.

Really, the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is probably your best bet for an quick-n-easy excursion. It's located just down the wharf from your pier (10-15 minute walk) and for less than $10/person, it's not going to break the bank, either.

There are two Titanic exhibits listed thus far that run all summer and into the fall: True Tales of the Titanic and Cable Ships: Connecting Halifax to Titanic and the World

I have no doubt that many more Titanic-theme shows/displays/exhibits will be announced in the coming months for the Halifax area. This was just the first place I thought of because it's the obvious choice.

As others have mentioned the Museum is just a couple blocks from dock,

but I would suggest taking tour to cemetary there are some very interesting stories about those that are buried there also there are many other locations etc that were part of the disaster response.

You can book your tour then get dropped at Museum

We took tour with Halifax Cruise Ship taxi tours and was excellent very knowledgeable- there are more tour suggestions on another current post titled "Excursions to Lunenburg" just scroll down canadian threads.

Good luck ,hope you enjoy visit.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO51: I have been on one of those tours. Someone I went on a trip with informed me that the Titanic tour does not go to the Cemetery anymore. You are on your own to get there. Halifax was the port that was the headquarters for the salvage operations for the Titanic. Very interesting stories about some of the interred there. Very interesting things at the Museum as well.

Hey there Kathy!

Glad you are visiting Halifax this season! It is a great place to visit in August! I just wanted to let you know that the Gray Line tour of the Titanic here in Halifax does visit the Fairview Lawn Cemetary. I believe their office is located on the waterfront near the Maritime Museum. The Maritime Museum is also a great Museum to visit regarding Titanic. They have on display one of the intact deck chairs recovered from the wreck.. Hope you have a great time here!

Hey Kathy -

SHOW (ME ;)) your son this link

http://www.maxallancollins.com/books/titanic-murders/index.php

It's a great novel and we got it from our local library and listened to it. We ended up listening to several of his from the "Disaster" series.

YOU might be able to find online for download too.

It really got my son interested in the Titanic.

(Waving at you on your way from St. Louis to Branson :))

We go to Halifax every summer either June or August. We sail Maasdam from Boston to Montreal b-to-b and stay aboard for the cruise back to Boston. We really enjoyed our visits at Maritime Museum. I love their bell collection. :)

All this talk has got me thinking maybe I should go next year!

what is the best time weather wise (looked like cruises were mainly September / October )

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO lois1112: You should go on a cruise to Canada. The East Coast is nice and in Nova Scotia you have the greatest place for lox. Halifax is a very nice city. Sydney is nice too. If you go to New Brunswick visit St. John. Too many hills for my wife now.

We keep going back. It is the most popular place we have taken cruises to.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are interested in maritime disasters and have the access to a car, it would be worth your while to visit the site of another White Star Line tragedy. In 1873, the Liner S.S. Atlantic sank just outside Halifax claiming the lives of over 500 passengers. There is a Heritage Park dedicated to the memory of those who perished. The Park along with a small museum is about 20 miles outside Halifax.

http://www.ssatlantic.com/

The Atlantic was built in the same shipyard as the Titantic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Atlantic

Hi all,

DH is a huge Titanic fan, and the only reason we're going to Halifax is due to the Titanic connection. We want to visit all three cemeteries, not just Fairview. I see they are very close together. We also want to visit the Maritime Museum. I'm assuming the only way to get all these sites in is to rent a car? I've looked at the travel companies mentioned here on cc, and don't see anything that strictly covers only Titanic. Anyone know anything different, or have other suggestions?

There are lots of tour operators and there are taxis waiting at the cruise terminal. You could walk to the Maritime Museum and then take a taxi to the cemeteries. Renting a car is also feasible, but taking a couple taxi rides may be cheaper and easier if that is all you are doing.

You can do a search here or find me on trip advisor to learn about various tour operators.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/63988-halifax-honours-titanic-centenary

http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/60387-titanic-show-not-your-typical-dinner-theatre

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/71390-crystal-clear-tribute-titanic

• 2 weeks later...

Several years ago, I took a Canada/New England cruise. In Halifax, we hired a taxi at the pier outside the shopping/souvenir building. We told the driver what we wanted to see and he also added in his own suggestions. We hired the taxi for 1 1/2 hrs. He drove us to the Titanic cemetery and we stay as long as we wanted and took pictures, Dalhousie University, the Citadel (again we stayed and took pictures), residential areas, upscale shopping area (I think it was Spring Garden Road??). We asked to be dropped off at the Maritime Museum and toured the museum on our own. We had a private tour, plenty of time for pictures, saw areas outside of the normal tourist areas and had lots of free time. You can walk back to the ship from the museum.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of you have mentioned the Titanic exhibit at the Maritime Museum. We will be in Halifax on a Monday next September; sadly, the hours posted on the Museum's website say they are closed on Mondays. Does anyone know if they make an exception and alter their operating hours when ships are in port? Thanks!

Archived