Really big increase in babysitting cost aboard Celebrity

Pandot

Wow.

I was checking prices on my cruise for next May (a wedding cruise for my sister on Celebrity Summit) when I fell across the increase in cost for in room babysitting (our only option because LO will be under 3).

It has increased from 8$ per hour for one or two children to 19$ per hour for up to three children. Yikes!

I guess I will only be getting babysitting the night of my sisters wedding. I understand an increase was due but 240% (approximately) is quite the hike.

Just thought I would post this information for other parents knowledge.

BTW- I called to confirm... it is not a typo - they have increased the cost.

Not sure if it makes you feel any better but I know Royal Caribbean has also gone up from $12/hr to $19/hr. We are now going to be a little more selective with the nights we request babysitting as well.

Sometimes the price increases are outrageous! I know we stopped renting strollers from Disney when they DOUBLED the rate! CRAZINESS :p

If it's the exact same price as Royal and they are under the same parent company, then it's probably for the same reason, they must be sending TWO babysitters and not one. So when you used to pay $8/hour for one, now you pay $19/hour for 2.

I am betting that someone can confirm that. Or if not, when you get back, can you please confirm? :)

If it's the exact same price as Royal and they are under the same parent company, then it's probably for the same reason, they must be sending TWO babysitters and not one. So when you used to pay $8/hour for one, now you pay $19/hour for 2.

I am betting that someone can confirm that. Or if not, when you get back, can you please confirm? :)

We were recently on the Summit but didn't use the babysitting as I wasn't sure my 2 year old would stay with strangers and had grandparents who were willing to help out. I saw several times 2 boys around 7 and 9 and other children I would say 6+ walking around the ship (in the theater, at the buffet etc) with one employee (women in uniform wearing a name tag). I remember reading on here that it was 2 babysitters but each time I noticed they were with only one person.

I can confirm that on both Celebrity and RCL, you get 2 babysitters. In my experience they were all very mature and professional, and the price isn't out of line compared to what adult babysitters would charge on land (at least here in NYC!).

You should also be aware that babysitting is not guaranteed. You have to put in your request as soon as you board and cross your fingers.

Ed

Archived