What is "upper" for 4th person?

wyomom2

We just booked our 2nd cruise w/ HAL. So excited! Traveling with the kiddos. Family of four. Room description is one queen bed, one sleeper sofa, and one "upper". What is this?

Last time we were able to get two rooms. Having both kids with us will be new. My guess is that it will be quite cozy with all of us in one room :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
We just booked our 2nd cruise w/ HAL. So excited! Traveling with the kiddos. Family of four. Room description is one queen bed, one sleeper sofa, and one "upper". What is this?

Last time we were able to get two rooms. Having both kids with us will be new. My guess is that it will be quite cozy with all of us in one room :)

Upper is an pull down from the wall berth. In other words, it's like the top bunk of a bunk bed which will pull down from the wall up high, and close during the day.

What ship will you be on?

I know some one mentioned that they had a cabin where the pull down bed was over the queen size bed -- not certain if this is only one some ships.

What ship will you be on?

I know some one mentioned that they had a cabin where the pull down bed was over the queen size bed -- not certain if this is only one some ships.

It was like that on the Eurodam.

The sofa sleeper was near the window and the upper bunk folded down above our pillow area. It was not a problem. We always had two upper bunks on Celebrity and and used to being careful not to bump heads.

On Eurodam the fourth berth is "screwed" into the ceiling above the head of the queen bed. The cabin steward has a special tool to unscrew the berth at night (or on request). It comes down on folded struts about two feet from the ceiling, and a detachable ladder at the foot of the berth allows the occupant to climb up to it.

We sailed with two DD's in our cabin, and the DD in the upper berth loved it. It does have its own reading light attached to the berth, and she enjoyed the privacy of being able to read at night on the "second floor".

Most all of the newer ships the Upper berth comes down from the ceiling, I believe all of the Vista Class and Signature class ships pull down from the ceiling.The older ships were normally wall upper berths. Nor exactly sure on the S and R class ships. :confused:

We sailed on the volendam August 24 and had a main deck inside room for 4. The beds were made into a queen and the sofa was always a single bed and the 4th bed came down from the ceiling over about 1/3 of the queen bed. It was NEVER put up during the day and the bed and ladder were always there. If we had of known we probably would not have asked for the two beds in the room to be made into a queen bed as this made it difficult to access one side of the bed and side table during the day(duck around the ladder and then duck under the bed hunched over). Now that said, we only had to do this about 5 times during the cruise, but DH banged his head a few times because he slept on the side of the queen bed that was covered by the 4th upper bed.

The kids LOVED this bed and then went up there as soon as we got into the cabin. It was an adventure for them as we don't have bunk beds at home. DD would have to kick DS back to his bed on the sofa all the time until she was reminded that it was not HER bed and we were only on the ship for 1 week so if it was not bed time DS could be up there too.

It worked well for us and we would do it again in a heartbeat. Just wanted to clarify that, on our trip anyway, the bed was never put back into the ceiling during the day. If we had of requested the two beds remain single configuration it would have made for more room to move in the cabin as it would have been like a set of bunk beds on that side of the cabin.

Happy sailing. By the way, the kids (aged 10 and 7) just loved Club HAL and we couldn't keep them from going for the full time, even at night until 10 which was past their usual bed times.

Sorry for the 2 posts....I get up at 4 every moring (mon-Fri) and am suffering from vertigo so some times my head isn't all that clear. I just realized that although I do not know how to post photos to these boards, I did sent one to "IRL Joanie" that clearly shows the bed configuration of our cabin (L on the main deck, # 2664) on her cabin room thread in the stickies: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Volendam/Deck-2.html

To be honest we had lots of room for storage in the cabin, believe it or not, even with summer clothes, cool weather clothes for glacier viewing, and formal wear for the 4 of us. Son had a 3 piece suit and daughter had 1 dress with crinolines and 2 other dresses. We were away for a week before the cruise so we actually had 2 weeks of clothes with us for the 1 week Alaskan cruise. Son as asthma that we need to keep a watch on as it goes to pneumonia very quickly so we had all that medicine with us too. Not a problem:

Kids each had one of the drawers under the main beds for most of their clothes. They also shared one drawer in the desk for their socks, underwear and bathing suits. Jackets and rain wear went in one of the 3 closets. DH and I each had a drawer in the desk for the same items and the rest of our clothes went in the closets. All bathroom stuff fit easily into the shelves behind the mirror and on the shelf under the sink. Since we had an inside cabin we didn't have a bathtub (works out fine, large enough shower) so we had the larger bathroom vanity. We kept the desk top clear for cruise cards, cameras, etc.

We travelled with 3 large suitcasses, 2 back pacs, 2 rolling carry-on suitcases and one large tote. It all fit away either under the beds or in the closets without having to "make them fit". Nothing was left out in the floor of the cabin.

Our cabin did not have a chair when we arrived and I am not sure if it was taken out because there were 4 of us in there. I asked the steward and he said "no room". I only asked because there was a coffee table which we pushed under the desk where the chair would have gone. We never left clothes or anything except the kids stuffies out on the beds so our cabin was always clear and easy to move around...not like some I saw with 2 people in and clothes piled high on their sofa and chair.

We were only in the cabin to sleep and shower. I guess if we had of had a balcony we would have wanted to spend time on it but as it was, we were only in the cabin for a short time each day and out and about all other times.

I can email more pictures if you are interested as Joanie posted the one that showed the beds. I didn't send her the bathroom pictures as ours looked just like any other bathroom with only a shower.

Not sure if I said, our kids are 10 and 7.

Archived