Travel Clothes Steamer...which do you like?

rthouse

Here's a thread on this subject. I still like the one on Amazon but so far haven't ordered it. Someone noted that it could be mistaken for an iron. If I do order, I'll put it in carry on and explain should questions arise. Sometimes I carry a small steamer and sometimes I don't. I've never used it. Packing clothes between or in plastic bags from the laundry keeps almost everything wrinkle free. We're doing a B2B next year. I'll only pack for 7 days so I think a steamer might come in handy.

http://www.amazon.com/SteamFast-SF-717-Home---Away-Steam/dp/B001DTHPEQ/ref=sr_1_11?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1313869299&sr=1-11

SteamFast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron

by SteamFast

4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (87 customer reviews) | Like (20)

List Price: $29.99

Price: $19.79 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details

You Save: $10.20 (34%)

And, I hope this is the correct link for the original thread on steamers: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1466830

I have already seen the thread posted by Ginnyfyr.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1478508&highlight=steamer

It only mentions a couple brands. I've looked at those and a few others but they all have mixed user reviews. I don't want to buy one that won't work or won't last so I was hoping for more input from folks who can tell me from their experience which ones really work.

http://www.amazon.com/SteamFast-SF-717-Home---Away-Steam/dp/B001DTHPEQ/ref=sr_1_11?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1313869299&sr=1-11

by SteamFast

Price: $19.79 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details

And, I hope this is the correct link for the original thread on steamers: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1466830

should buy this one.

thanks mate....

R.gif

by SteamFast

While I am sure this is a fine product it is an Iron and irons are not allowed on many cruise ships so it would be wise to check first.

I believe with better packing techniques and selecting clothing that isn't prone to wrinkling you can travel without the need for steamers or wrinkle release sprays. The worst I ever had to do with any clothing was to hang an item in the bathroom while I showered. Usually just hanging them is enough.

Shak

THANK YOU for pointing out that this was actually an iron! I assumed it was a steamer, read the reviews and failed to pick up on the fact that it is actually a steam iron. So much for my being observant. I'll stick to the one that I have. I bought it years ago at a Kiosk in the mall. As far as I know it still works and I've never had a problem with it leaking. And, I also agree with you about better packing and wrinkle free fabrics.

I absolutely love the Jiffy Steam "E-steam" steamer. I'm on my third one. I have tried less expensive brands but they did not compare to this one. I even use it at home instead of dragging out the ironing board for little touch ups to clothing.

Just beware, some lines have now said that steamers (not just those that are dual steamers/irons) are not OK to bring on board ships.

My favorite travel steamer is Joy Mangano's My Little Steamer Go Mini. It has never leaked and works just great. It's small and has it's own little zippered travel bag. Got it on HSN--they sell out quite often but get them back every now and then. You could pick one up on ebay though.

My favorite travel steamer is Joy Mangano's My Little Steamer Go Mini. It has never leaked and works just great. It's small and has it's own little zippered travel bag. Got it on HSN--they sell out quite often but get them back every now and then. You could pick one up on ebay though.

Do you remember how long ago you purchased yours? I recently bought one the last time she was on to replace my full size one from year and years ago when she first debuted them. I love the compact size of the new travel one but mine spits everytime I use it.

we had our steamer taken in april and there were others in the naughty room also....we have taken a steamer for 18 cruises, first time it was taken. So be advised you might have to deal without it....

Oh no! I need my steamer-lol! Are all steamers banned or certain ones? I bought a cheap one from ww and it came in handy. Dont know how a steamer would be a hazard.

I have 2, a Rowenta (too big and heaby) and a small one we sell in our luggage store. We don't have it on our web site, it's kind of like this one:

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=13721&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C252%2C337&iProductID=13721&sortBy=0

I rarely need it. To the point where I hardly ever take it along. I pack in dry cleaner bags and use a wrinkle spray (sorry, don't care for the odor of the Downey stuff), this is the one I use:

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Lewis+N%2E+Clark+Wrinkle+Wiz+Wrinkle+Remover+Spray&pf_id=PAOHIDJMKFLOLDHH&dept_id=3269

Just make sure if you use a wrinkle spray, use it at least a half hour before you will be wearing the clothes. I usually check for wrinkles as we unpack, spray, smooth and let those dry before hanging into the closet. One bottle lasts a really long time even though it seems small. I think I've had the same bottle for the last 4 trips and it's about half gone.

I got mine as a special promotion on HSN when it was a today's special, but I see them often on ebay. Are you sure your lid is on correctly? Mine has never done any spitting. I absolutely LOVE mine. And it's small enough to hide in your luggage without them noticing what it is.

Do you remember how long ago you purchased yours? I recently bought one the last time she was on to replace my full size one from year and years ago when she first debuted them. I love the compact size of the new travel one but mine spits everytime I use it.

she was just on last weekend with it...check online

personally i dont take one...the way i pack (dry-cleaner bags/2.5 gallon zip lock bags) i have little to no wrinkles and would rather use that space for another pair of shoes or something.

havent found one i like--have a couple of brands and they leak too...have JMs and mine leaks.

The travel version of Joy Mangano's My Little Steamer is so small. Mine came with a travel bag and it's actually the size of a makeup bag. My husband always irons his own shirts and pants in the laundry rooms on the ship but my dresses are the type that cannot be ironed--if any wrinkles, they require steam. I hardly ever use it, my daughter and her friends tend to run to my cabin to get it usually. But, I need to have it if the need arises.

Most ships that we've been on forbid steamers or irons. We always just send out anything that gets wrinkled for pressing. Not a big deal. And the clothes come back beautifully done.
There is another thread on this subject that says RCI is now seizing steamers. Having things pressed on the is very inexpensive. Having a tux or suit dry cleaned is cheaper than it is at our local cleaners. Really in truly, with non-wrinkle clothing, careful packing, dry cleaner bags, and using the laundry service, there is no need to try to get a steamer onboard.

This has my vote. I'm taking it with me next week on my cruise. As a matter of fact I use this one at home now more often than I use my iron.

We send a bag of laundry out every 2 days on a cruise. There is no way I will do laundry if I don't have to -- I do enough home -- and it's just part of the cruise cost. Of course, we're the same ones who will never bring wine or water on board!:)

she was just on last weekend with it...check online

personally i dont take one...the way i pack (dry-cleaner bags/2.5 gallon zip lock bags) i have little to no wrinkles and would rather use that space for another pair of shoes or something.

havent found one i like--have a couple of brands and they leak too...have JMs and mine leaks.

I was asking because the new model is junk... if the older models are better quality I'd risk trying to find the older ones on ebay. Why buy another one from her last show if I already bought one? ;)

I got mine as a special promotion on HSN when it was a today's special, but I see them often on ebay. Are you sure your lid is on correctly? Mine has never done any spitting. I absolutely LOVE mine. And it's small enough to hide in your luggage without them noticing what it is.

Sadly it is on correctly, when I called and complained they told me I wasn't holding it straight. :confused: If I was new to steamers I could see this.. when its spitting even when sitting on a perfect level table its not me its the steamer. Its been horribly disappointing for me because I used my full sized one all the time for almost everything! I still use it but then everything has a dry time since the darn shirt is about half soaked by the time your done.

I used to really love her items, but over the years her quality hasn't seemed to keep up with the number of the products in her line.

Archived