Please help with MCO port

CRUISING71

We are traveling from California and thinking of the Dream. I have been reading the forum and am a little confuse.

We are flying in a day before the cruise, some suggest rental car. I am wondering, if you get a rental car at the airport do you drop it off at the port? Is it expensive? There are 4 of us.

Plus...are there hotel near the port where we can stay the night? I know Orlando hotel are probably cheaper. If we don't want to see Orlando, what other city nearby so we can spend the day touring?

Thank you,

Tibbie

We are traveling from California and thinking of the Dream. I have been reading the forum and am a little confuse.

We are flying in a day before the cruise, some suggest rental car. I am wondering, if you get a rental car at the airport do you drop it off at the port? Is it expensive? There are 4 of us.

You pick up at MCO and drop off at "Cape Canaveral, FL" Most of the major rental car companies do one-way rentals and the rates are quite reasonable. As with any car rental, do a thorough search for best rates.

Plus...are there hotel near the port where we can stay the night? I know Orlando hotel are probably cheaper. If we don't want to see Orlando, what other city nearby so we can spend the day touring?

Look for hotels in Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach. Things in the local area to see & do include Kennedy Space Center, Cocoa Beach (of course), Ron Jon's Surf Shop also in Cocoa Beach and maybe an airboat ride at the Lone Cabbage Fish Camp.

Thank you,

Tibbie

Good luck!

Thank you,

Tibbie

most of the car rental agencies (budget, avis) have locations right near the port with free shuttle service to and from the port. you can stay wherever you want and drop the car off before you board and take their free shuttle to the port. its about and hours drive from orlando to port canaveral/cocoa beach

We have a late flight return, I am wondering how hard is it to rent a car from Port back to MCO? Will the rental car company shuttle us from port to rental car area in Cocoa Beach?

It is easy and yes they will shuttle you to their location! Lots of folks with late flights choose to rent cars, stash their luggage in the trunk and then do what they want before heading to the airport. Good luck! :)

We've done the MCO to Port Canaveral rental car on a past cruise.

Looks like you'll need to keep a sharp eye out for ever changing car rental rates.

I've found some very good rates from MCO to Port Canaveral, but the rates going back from Port Canaveral to MCO are not so good because many of the rental companies charge a $45 "drop fee" to go back that direction.

Any comments on this?

Something you have to remember about renting a car is you will have a lot of luggage and if you have 4 people that will mean everyone will have at least one piece of luggage (or in my family 2 each) and then carry on luggage. We rented an SUV for 3 people and hardly had enough space for the luggage. It was put in the trunk and back seat next to the third passenger.

We find it is easier and cheaper when traveling with more than 2 people to have a service pick us up and take us to the pier. One of the things the service will ask is how many pieces of luggage you will have to make sure they have the correct sized vehicle.

Have fun on your cruise!!

Archived