Must try food on NCL?

michelle028

Just back from the Pearl....

Blue Lagoon: Hot wings. Very good. Never did get to try the brownie sundae...they didn't offer that! Dang. Hubby loved the hot dogs and the fries everywhere are really good.

Stay out of Mambo's. Sweet staff, horrible food.

La Cucina was great, wonderful service. Hubby had the rosotto, very good. I had the seafood with pasta, don't remember the name thanks to too many Dark and Stormys earlier in the evening. But, the bread basket, calamari was worth the fee alone.

Lotus Garden...Kung Pao Chicken and the crab wontons ROCKED! Sushi was good as well. The hot and sour soup is wonderful and this was our favorite for the staff...they were wonderful!

Cagneys. VERY disappointed. Horrible service...the waiter pretty much ignored us for ten minutes before taking our drink order. Was very inattentive. The food, my husband's filet was over cooked, the au gratin potatoes were cold and served in a strange triangle. The fries were cold and not so great. The dessert was

bleh. Not worth the money, but we might have just hit a bad night.

Mojitos in Star Bar are wonderful!! Godiva Martinis in the Martini Bar are lucious. Forgot their exact name...but, ended up lit up anyway.

We made a faux pas and didn't read our Dailies that Le Bistro is closed on Saturday night. But, we hit the Best of the Best Tasting, where all the paid restaurants put their best foot forward.....Le Bistro French Onion Soup was good, Hubby's Cagney chowder was wonderful. Tried the Esgargot, they tasted like garlicky mushrooms. Very

good. They had sushi on a buffet, along with Kung Pao Chicken and other offerings from Lotus, so for $15 each, you can get a taste of everything. Hubby had the Le Bistro Filet. He said it was good, better than Cagney's. I had the Lemon Pepper Shrimp from Lotus...very very good.

Dessert: The Chocolate mousse in the MDR is good, the Strawberry shortcake was good enough, I wanted to steal my husband's plate. Bread pudding, not a fan. THE BEST: Le Bistro Creme Brulee. It was so good, I had two!

I've never herd of the taste everything thing. Is this something that you signed up for ahead of tine? Was it in the mdr?

Just back from a cruise on the Sky. Agree that the chilled fruit soups & ceasar salads are wonderful, also try the cold couscous salad on the pool buffet. It's delicious. So is the black bean and mushroom quesadilla appetizer. I ordered one every night! My 11-year old son loved chicken tenders room service before dinner, then he had another dinner with us. One night four 11-year old boys actually had dinner on their own in the dining room, they loved it! But stay away from the steak at dinner. My husband ordered it - it was worse than a Ponderosa! I would be embarassed to serve this, Norwegian. It was literally about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. At dinner, the menu items on the left side are "one night only" specials. The right side has the same items every night. So choose from the left side if you see something you like, because it won't be there again. Save the right side items for a night you don't see anything special. Enjoy your cruise!

We've enjoyed 2 NCL cruises so far, and had a chance to eat in all the specialty restaurants, Blue Lagoon, MDR and buffet. Our favorites:

Shrimp cocktail, steamed asparagus with shaved Parm and Proscuitto, crab cakes, Portobello mushrooms and blue crab, Boston Clam Chowder, Cagney's.

Pork and vegetable fried spring rolls (my Filipino friends would call these Shanghai Lumpia) with sweet Chili dipping sauce, MDR always menu.

We were pleasantly surprised with the Braised Lamb Shanks in MDR, and I enjoyed the always available Salmon Fillet as well as Red Snapper from MDR. The (Rock) Lobster 1/2 tails had decent flavor but were somewhat tough on 'Lobster' night, and although I ordered 2, actually did enjoy the Snapper more :p

Chocolate croissants, fresh sliced melon, made to order omelets, Eggs Benedict with Canadian bacon or Crab Cakes, Brioche French toast, various eateries. French Press coffee, Cagney's.

Double cut lamp chops, ribeye and T-bone steaks, Cagney's. The sauteed mushroom, au gratin potato and steamed asparagus sides...though I needed to order "double' for the latter in order to get 5 spears :D

A chocolate dessert from the MDR with a chocolate shell and mocha mousee filling...one of the best! Apple crisp, expresso brownies and mascerated berry compote from Cagney's.

DH recommends the Zesty Lemon Sherbet from Cagney's or MDR, Caesar salads (various) and chilled black cherry soup from Buffet.

Bean and pasta soup and fettucini carbonara from Italian restaurant.

Creamy Mushroom soup, samon pate (Chef's extra) on crackers and Creme Brulee frm Le Bistro.

Mu Shu pork, Godzilla Rolls and Banana Crepes with Caramel Sauce and Coconut Ice Cream from Asian restaurant.

DH "Ramsfan" enjoyed Cagney's Black Angus beef Burger with Cheddar, we both loved their White Truffle oil Fries but my suite perks luncheon standby was the awe Ahi (Tuna) Burger with very good remolade and wasabi sauces on the side :D

BlueLagoonBrownieSupremeNCL.jpg.a02ecdee1275545c7971be4fd9219138.jpg

BlueLagoonChickenWingswRanchNCL.jpg.c0051c41f7162f183cf21143f1dfb527.jpg

BlueLagoonDakinecheesecakeblueberrycompoteNCL.jpg.552a4f1622510d1a64fb7931fe288eb9.jpg

BlueLagoonFishnchipsNCL.jpg.1dfbd82870a24a575f2c377f37cae4c6.jpg

BlueLagoonGrilledChookSandNCL.jpg.1212ac7243905b3001243b620d8a9cc3.jpg

BlueMoonCafeClubSaladNCL.jpg.02729a197c4cabd452d9f18b5a76f19f.jpg

cruisenolafullsuitebreakfastfor2.jpg.256a889e5e1d93d1cca3e269f1871798.jpg

NCL-BL-StrawbShortcake.jpg.3f4134f11b22c55ddb4143b6a074b1a3.jpg

nclspiritamazingDisnesquesushiinShogunAsainrestaurant.jpg.918e4885765243849c38fe41a7db25cd.jpg

NCLYummybreakfasttreats.jpg.aae743536005dcc8ac55e032ed8d14ac.jpg

NCLCagneysColossalShrimpCocktail.jpg.3247495422253a13e05af0a2d98bcd52.jpg

NCLMDRLobsterNightSpinyKine.jpg.a5de2b1abfd87a3ef01d41989271f550.jpg

NCLmorningpastrieschocolatecroissantstdf.jpg.dc15840d8735037869dec7147b7e7a0e.jpg

NCLPrimeRib.jpg.856e6fea98290e0364ddc4956cd54f5f.jpg

nclskychilledberrysoup.jpg.e2e1cc0a8b684992735561d6534739a5.jpg

We've enjoyed 2 NCL cruises so far, and had a chance to eat in all the specialty restaurants, Blue Lagoon, MDR and buffet. Our favorites:

Shrimp cocktail, steamed asparagus with shaved Parm and Proscuitto, crab cakes, Portobello mushrooms and blue crab, Boston Clam Chowder, Cagney's.

Pork and vegetable fried spring rolls (my Filipino friends would call these Shanghai Lumpia) with sweet Chili dipping sauce, MDR always menu.

We were pleasantly surprised with the Braised Lamb Shanks in MDR, and I enjoyed the always available Salmon Fillet as well as Red Snapper from MDR. The (Rock) Lobster 1/2 tails had decent flavor but were somewhat tough on 'Lobster' night, and although I ordered 2, actually did enjoy the Snapper more :p

Chocolate croissants, fresh sliced melon, made to order omelets, Eggs Benedict with Canadian bacon or Crab Cakes, Brioche French toast, various eateries. French Press coffee, Cagney's.

Double cut lamp chops, ribeye and T-bone steaks, Cagney's. The sauteed mushroom, au gratin potato and steamed asparagus sides...though I needed to order "double' for the latter in order to get 5 spears :D

A chocolate dessert from the MDR with a chocolate shell and mocha mousee filling...one of the best! Apple crisp, expresso brownies and mascerated berry compote from Cagney's.

DH recommends the Zesty Lemon Sherbet from Cagney's or MDR, Caesar salads (various) and chilled black cherry soup from Buffet.

Bean and pasta soup and fettucini carbonara from Italian restaurant.

Creamy Mushroom soup, samon pate (Chef's extra) on crackers and Creme Brulee frm Le Bistro.

Mu Shu pork, Godzilla Rolls and Banana Crepes with Caramel Sauce and Coconut Ice Cream from Asian restaurant.

DH "Ramsfan" enjoyed Cagney's Black Angus beef Burger with Cheddar, we both loved their White Truffle oil Fries but my suite perks luncheon standby was the awe Ahi (Tuna) Burger with very good remolade and wasabi sauces on the side :D

Everything looks good, Thanks for posting the pics!

Belgian Waffles in Cagney's... had them on three different days so I could try all three toppings... apples & cinnamon, rum pineapple & Grand Marnier strawberries. :D

Calimari in the Summer Palace was good every time as was a "sugar free" dessert that was offered at lunch... Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta. :D

I also fell in love with the Hazelnut pastry at breakfast... get em quick, they go fast.

Smoked Salmon and all the fixings at the breakfast buffet :D:D

Cagneys T-Bone steak ;):rolleyes:

Room service Coffee, drank on the balcony first thing in the morning :):)

Deserts were really not that great but then again, I am not a desert person so wouldn't be a good recomender.

Im looking forward to trying new things on the Spirit in 2 months.

The wild mushroom and cheese omlete in the MDR is the greatest lunch. Had it three times on the JADE last winter. Hope it is on the Spirit menu in January! The Food and Beverage Director on the Jade even found out the type cheese...white cheddar which was amazing.

Made to order ANYTHING; crepes, omelets, pasta, waffles, etc. in the buffet. No made-to-order waffles this time.

The smoked salmon and fixings at the breakfast buffet.

The little tea sandwiches & wraps at lunch, variety of desserts and cheeses, and the pretzel rolls.

Creme brullee, cookies, and bread pudding. No creme brullee, Cagneys had Raspberry flavored - YUK

We like Cagney's, the Italian, and Blue Lagoon but love the Asian restaurant the best. Didn't get to try the Asian restaurant this trip. Wings, mozzerella sticks, potato skins, brownie dessert, pannini, pork with gnocchi, calamari rings, pizza margarite to share as appetizer, italian cheesecake, shrimp cocktail, crab stuffed mushroom, 10 oz filet mignon, crab cakes

Had to update from last cuise, just got off the Gem Oct 16.

Spring rolls, gnocchi with pumpkin sauce, chopped Greek salad, red snapper, kahlua tiramisu, cheesecake, chocolate mousse cake in MDR

Just off the Jewel on 10/15, and the best things I had were the MDR pot roast and the potato gnocci with pumpkin sauce. Both dinners made me want to lick the plate! I also liked the French toast at the buffet--it had a crunchy exterior that was tasty. Best sweets were the wonderful cookies at the buffet; they reminded me of the ones in RiverBarge's bottomless cookie jar. I've grown to love big ship cruising, but how I miss the 'Barge

• 1 month later...

The chocolate mousse on the MDR lunch menu. Makes me happy the lunch

menu never changes. Heard chilled fruit soups are only on the buffet now. That makes me sad. They are the best and were always better/colder in the MDR.

• 1 month later...

Archived