Must try food on NCL?

michelle028

At the morning breakfast buffet, go to the fresh fruit section and get a small plate of cottage cheese. Take it to the omelette station and have the short order chef make an omelette with your choice of vegetables or not.

It is a power packed breakfast with plenty of proteins. Also, I eat a combination of museli with milk and a box of fiber one or raisin bran-plenty of fiber for the rest of the day.

That sounds way too healthy for a cruise! I take a vacation from diets and healthy eating while I am vacationing, point me in the direction of the bacon and chocolate croissants! ;)

NCL deserts usually don't temp me, especially the deserts in the buffet. I'll have the hard ice cream in the buffet if I have enough room for desert.

Deserts in the specialty restaurants are a completely different thing. They are exceptional, especially the Chocolate Napoleon in Le Bistro. OMG...sooooo good.

For some reason, one of the few foods I remember from my cruise on the Jade two years ago is banana bread. It seemed to be on the buffet for every meal, as well as the outdoor food area near the pool.

I don't know that it was "exceptional" but because it's not a food I get very often (and I was so happy that it didn't contain nuts!), I liked it and ate it several times.

That's certainly not a gourmet meal or dessert, but I enjoyed it. We had a nice dinner in Cagney's, but I'm not much of a foodie and don't really recall most of our meals on the ship.

BTW, anybody know if the banana bread is standard on all ships and if it's still around? We'll be on the Star after Thanksgiving.

Again, just my opinion, but the deserts in the MDR and buffet are marginal. Lots of gelatin inspired stuff. I stick to the cheese cake and ice cream in the MDR. Cookies and pound cake in the Buffet.....but that's about all I eat in the buffet. The better deserts are in the specialty joints IMO.

as mentioned over and over: the Le Bistro mushroom soup. Plus the cold soups and pretzel rolls are always the best. As for desserts, I am not a huge dessert eater, but I love the souflets (spelling) and creme burlee.

Nita

ps: fish and chips or buff wings in Blue Lagoon, the best? No, not like fish and chips along the OR coast or wings in some of the top diners on the east coast, but as good as you will ever get at sea.

Nita

ps: signature food like Carnival and HAL, I don't think so, but signature restaurant, yes, Le Bistro.

fruit crepes, especially apple, wild mushroom risotto from the MDR, pretzel rolls, made to order omlette from the buffet, brownies near the ice cream on the Sun and the sweet potatoe soup in the MDR. Oops, forgot the Cobb salad in the MDR, just the right size for lunch.

Hi all,

Thx for your suggestions:)

What about desserts? I have been on RCI twice and I always made room after a meal b/c I loved their desserts!!

Let me know! :)

I have to agree RCL's Flourless Chocolate cake is to die for. On NCL, I like the Chocolate Fondue for Two over Pineapple, Bananas, and Strawberries at Le Bistro. Also the Creme Brulee is not bad...

Just back from the Pearl....

Blue Lagoon: Hot wings. Very good. Never did get to try the brownie sundae...they didn't offer that! Dang. Hubby loved the hot dogs and the fries everywhere are really good.

Stay out of Mambo's. Sweet staff, horrible food.

La Cucina was great, wonderful service. Hubby had the rosotto, very good. I had the seafood with pasta, don't remember the name thanks to too many Dark and Stormys earlier in the evening. But, the bread basket, calamari was worth the fee alone.

Lotus Garden...Kung Pao Chicken and the crab wontons ROCKED! Sushi was good as well. The hot and sour soup is wonderful and this was our favorite for the staff...they were wonderful!

Cagneys. VERY disappointed. Horrible service...the waiter pretty much ignored us for ten minutes before taking our drink order. Was very inattentive. The food, my husband's filet was over cooked, the au gratin potatoes were cold and served in a strange triangle. The fries were cold and not so great. The dessert was bleh. Not worth the money, but we might have just hit a bad night.

Mojitos in Star Bar are wonderful!! Godiva Martinis in the Martini Bar are lucious. Forgot their exact name...but, ended up lit up anyway.

We made a faux pas and didn't read our Dailies that Le Bistro is closed on Saturday night. But, we hit the Best of the Best Tasting, where all the paid restaurants put their best foot forward.....Le Bistro French Onion Soup was good, Hubby's Cagney chowder was wonderful. Tried the Esgargot, they tasted like garlicky mushrooms. Very good. They had sushi on a buffet, along with Kung Pao Chicken and other offerings from Lotus, so for $15 each, you can get a taste of everything. Hubby had the Le Bistro Filet. He said it was good, better than Cagney's. I had the Lemon Pepper Shrimp from Lotus...very very good.

Dessert: The Chocolate mousse in the MDR is good, the Strawberry shortcake was good enough, I wanted to steal my husband's plate. Bread pudding, not a fan. THE BEST: Le Bistro Creme Brulee. It was so good, I had two!

Cagney's Prime Rib has always been excellent. We skip the steaks. We have them every week at home so it's not a treat. Partner tried twice in one night our first time at Cagney's and they still could not get it right. Lamb is excellent in Le Bistro, at least when we've had it. Jumbo shrimp cocktail. I don't care for sweets so don't try them. I'm usually too full anyway.

Just back from the Pearl....

Blue Lagoon: Hot wings. Very good. Never did get to try the brownie sundae...they didn't offer that! Dang. Hubby loved the hot dogs and the fries everywhere are really good.

Stay out of Mambo's. Sweet staff, horrible food.

La Cucina was great, wonderful service. Hubby had the rosotto, very good. I had the seafood with pasta, don't remember the name thanks to too many Dark and Stormys earlier in the evening. But, the bread basket, calamari was worth the fee alone.

Lotus Garden...Kung Pao Chicken and the crab wontons ROCKED! Sushi was good as well. The hot and sour soup is wonderful and this was our favorite for the staff...they were wonderful!

Cagneys. VERY disappointed. Horrible service...the waiter pretty much ignored us for ten minutes before taking our drink order. Was very inattentive. The food, my husband's filet was over cooked, the au gratin potatoes were cold and served in a strange triangle. The fries were cold and not so great. The dessert was bleh. Not worth the money, but we might have just hit a bad night.

Mojitos in Star Bar are wonderful!! Godiva Martinis in the Martini Bar are lucious. Forgot their exact name...but, ended up lit up anyway.

We made a faux pas and didn't read our Dailies that Le Bistro is closed on Saturday night. But, we hit the Best of the Best Tasting, where all the paid restaurants put their best foot forward.....Le Bistro French Onion Soup was good, Hubby's Cagney chowder was wonderful. Tried the Esgargot, they tasted like garlicky mushrooms. Very good. They had sushi on a buffet, along with Kung Pao Chicken and other offerings from Lotus, so for $15 each, you can get a taste of everything. Hubby had the Le Bistro Filet. He said it was good, better than Cagney's. I had the Lemon Pepper Shrimp from Lotus...very very good.

Dessert: The Chocolate mousse in the MDR is good, the Strawberry shortcake was good enough, I wanted to steal my husband's plate. Bread pudding, not a fan. THE BEST: Le Bistro Creme Brulee. It was so good, I had two!

Thanks for reviewing your opinion of the specialty dining rooms. It is always good to read an objective and fair review. I have never been impressed with Cagney's but our daughter and son in law love it. Our choice is always Le Bistro.

NIta

With the caveat that food likes and dislikes are personal and subjective:

-- I love made to order omelets

-- I love the lobster tacos in the Tex-Mex specialty restaurant

-- I enjoy the cold soups

-- I like being able to get some self-serve soft-serve

-- I agree with others above that NCL's desserts in the MDRs are lackluster. Pretty much any dessert they make with chocolate is subpar; I sometimes wonder whether they are using some sort of chocolate substitute. The chocolate buffet is a lot of brown things in varying shapes, occupying space.

-- We've had one dinner at Cagney's (last year on the Jewel) and, from start to finish, it was one of the worst meals we've ever eaten, anywhere; mediocre food, badly prepared. (Thank goodness we'd brought our own champagne; at least that was great.)

-- I've never understood all the raves about the wings at Blue Lagoon

We'll be on the Gem next month. We're going to try Le Bistro for the first time, but I hope it doesn't turn out to be like Cagney's....

• 3 weeks later...
The mushroom soup at Le Bistro. Best soup this side of Kennett Square

My vote goes to the mushroom soup at Le Bistro too. Also try the Creme Brulee for dessert. Bufet offers omelete station every morning, you can order your eggs any style there as well, why have the already made scrambled eggs when you can have them freshly made!? Smoked salmon at breakfast was also a treat. Most food was great for out taste.

Our favorite is Le Bistro and the mushroom soup, escargot, and don't miss the creme brulee. In the main dining rooms, I love all their souffles, any of their pork or lamb dishes and any of the cold soups (although NCL has the cold soups only in the buffets' now and I wish they would return to offering them at night in the dining rooms).

I love breakfast at Blue Lagoon especially early in the morning when no one's around. For Blue Lagoon, chicken pot pie and the brownie sundae.

I'm getting hungry just talking about this. Cruising in December on the Gem and can't wait.

not a dessert person, but the orange sherbet in the MDR is always good and the ice cream onboard always has the longest line no matter which ship we are on--we eat alot of ice cream when we cruise--i make my own shakes too--i guess to its just not eating the ice cream but eating it on a ship!

Archived