Hair braiding?

meab

i'm grossed out thinking about the comb. will definitely pack one just in case.

my daughter (age 10) wanted to get A braid. not the whole get-up with her whole head, but just one small braid with some beads maybe. or i've seen (at Disney) where you can get a strand of hair wrapped with different colored thread...

she is spending her own money on it, so if it is very costly, i know she will skip it. but for a single braid or wrap, i don't expect it would be too much???

Over the years there have been many threads on kids and hair braiding. The general concensus is that it hurts! Kids that were having their entire head done were screaming in pain. I like the idea of one or two braids. It wouldn't cost that much, wouldn't take that long, and wouldn't hurt so much.

Have fun. :)

My then 7-year-old daughter had her entire head braided while in port at Cozumel a year and a half ago. Maybe we got lucky but even though she's tender-headed it was a good experience overall. We paid $50 on one of the all day beach excursions (I think it was called Passion island?). She looked like a mini-Bo Derrick!

She kept the braids in when we got home for about 5 weeks all throughout the swim team season without complaint and with more compliments on how cute she looked than I could count. I actually had to insist we remove them once they started looking loose and too messy. We are planning on having her hair braided again when we cruise next month if we find a place that looks like they are proper. The key for not damaging the hair it to find a place where they use foil tips instead of rubber bands at the ends of the hair. Also, when removing the braids, load on plenty of conditioner and "finger" the braid out before washing.

We were going to have the braids done onboard but the price they quoted us was over $100 and I didn't feel that it was worth it for something that I wasn't sure about. For $50 though I was willing to chance it!

Oh yeah, in my opinion....braids are cute for kids but adults....not so much....

Our daughter did it in Labadee. Price was reasonable but be sure to negotiate it before braiding begins. Half head (about 16-18 braids from the crown to ends) was $40 plus tip. Pricing should be about $2 per braid. We didn't barter them down (since it was right after the earthquake and I figured they needed the $$ more then me) but we probably could have.

A girl was getting one braid when we were there and it was $7. The more you get, the better deal it is, I guess.

My daughter thought it would hurt but she wanted it done so bad, and she said she was surprised it did not hurt at all. The ones she got at Labadee were a lot better looking than the ones she got onboard DCL too.

HTH, have fun!!!!

My wife had the braiding done once... Three hours later it was upbraided... The reason was they braided her hair so tight it was causing her to have a major headache...:eek: Lesson learned do not waste your money or do one or two strands...;)

Archived