Port Canaveral and Disney World -GEM

strype2

We just had an entire week trip to Disney but thought it would be something to do on that port day. So not worried about what rides we get on. We should arrive on a Monday. I know the bus takes an hour but I think the ship docks at noon and leaves at 10 so what kind of time frame are we talking about. What time do you arrive in DW and what time do you depart? Very vague discription on NCL. I guess what I'm asking is how much park time would we actually get and is it worth it?

We just had an entire week trip to Disney but thought it would be something to do on that port day. So not worried about what rides we get on. We should arrive on a Monday. I know the bus takes an hour but I think the ship docks at noon and leaves at 10 so what kind of time frame are we talking about. What time do you arrive in DW and what time do you depart? Very vague discription on NCL. I guess what I'm asking is how much park time would we actually get and is it worth it?

Do some of the math:

Ship docks at noon, so the tour probably doesn't even pull out until 12:30 or 12:45 p.m. (if you are lucky).

Let's say 12:30

At least One hour to Disney if you don't hit traffic: Arrive Disney around 1:30 - 1:45 at the earliest.

Ship sails at 10, so all aboard will be 9:30 p.m.. That means they will probably plan to leave Disney at 8:00 p.m. to give them time in case they would hit traffic.

So AT most, you would have about Six hours at Disney. Are you going to the Magic Kingdom? If so, then you have to add in time for the monorail ride to and from the transportation center, cutting even further into your Disney time. I doubt the bus would take you to Epcot or Hollywood Studios which don't have the long distance between parking lot and park.

Also, check WDW's site to confirm when each park will close. If you're going to the MK and it closes at 6 or 7 PM, you might be waiting on the return bus for awhile (until bus departure time). EPCOT normally closes at 9 PM; AK frequently closes at 5 or 6 PM (depending on sunset). If you don't care which park, select the one that is open late enough (for the return bus) but also doesn't have special entry (either early or late) for resort guests- which would make that park more crowded.

Instead of WDW (since you- like us- are in NJ and can easily visit for several days), I suggest considering the Kennedy Space Center, either on your own or with NCL. We had a marvelous day there.

Yes, do check to see what time the park closes. For us, it closed at 9, but I saw that they would be scaling back the park hours through September and October, to sometimes close at 6 PM.

We took this trip on 9/6 when the Gem was diverted. We arrived at the Transportation and Ticket Center at around 2 PM and were walking in the main gates of the Magic Kingdom at 2:30 PM. The last bus back to the ship left promptly at 8:15, so by 7:30 we were leaving the Magic Kingdom to head back towards the buses. That gave us 5 hours in the park. For our family of four, it cost almost $600, so $120/hour.

For us it worked out well. It was the first time our kids had been to Disney World. It was my daughters fifth birthday and it was a great treat for her to visit on that day. It wasn't crowded at all, so that worked in our favor. We got the Disney monkey off our back for a few more years... :rolleyes: Having said that, I wish it had been cheaper.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

We were on the Gem last week (9/4/11 sailing) that was diverted from Bermuda to the itinerary you're describing. We did the Disney excursion while at Port Canaveral. Here is the info I can give you:

The buses pulled out around 1 p.m. and we were at the Magic Kingdom around 2:30 p.m. It is an hour's ride, but then of course you have to get over to the Magic Kingdom (via ferry or monorail). There were three buses. They started boarding to return at 7:30 and the first two buses left as soon as they were full. The last bus was set to leave at 8:15. We were on that bus and it left at 8:15 sharp. We were back on the ship by 9:30 or so. So you basically have around 6 hours at the park. For just under $600 for a family of four.

Honestly, we would never have done this excursion for that price if it hadn't been our daughter's 5th birthday that day. We certainly wouldn't have done this excursion if we'd been to Disney for a week in the past year. Don't get me wrong -- we had a great time and I don't regret it, but our situation was special with a birthday that day. In any other situation we would have done a different excursion, maybe the Kennedy Space Center or the beach.

ETA: And I see my husband posted immediately above while I was typing. Sorry for the repetition! (And clearly he can do math better than I can, since it was obviously closer to 5 hours than 6. Oops.)

Thank you so much for the post. Great to hear from someone who just did this. Nothing about Disney is EVER cheaper. LOL. Yes we did just visit WDW for a week in June but only our DD, SIL and #2 GrandD were able to join us. Our DS, DIL and #1 Grand D could not make the trip so my husband thought that since we will all be on the same cruise it would be nice to have both of our Grand D's with us in the Magic Kingdom. Who knows if we will all be able to do a week in Disney in the future. Is it less expensive to just purchase the bus tickets and get park tickets separately. Do you remember the cost pp? Maybe a one day park ticket is a Christmas present for each child. HUMMMMMMM.......:eek:

Thank you so much for the post. Great to hear from someone who just did this. Nothing about Disney is EVER cheaper. LOL. Yes we did just visit WDW for a week in June but only our DD, SIL and #2 GrandD were able to join us. Our DS, DIL and #1 Grand D could not make the trip so my husband thought that since we will all be on the same cruise it would be nice to have both of our Grand D's with us in the Magic Kingdom. Who knows if we will all be able to do a week in Disney in the future. Is it less expensive to just purchase the bus tickets and get park tickets separately. Do you remember the cost pp? Maybe a one day park ticket is a Christmas present for each child. HUMMMMMMM.......:eek:

i priced out Universal for the day, using the NCL transfers only and getting tix separately..

it was only 20-30 dollars less...

in my head, i will save for a trip to orlando and find something else to do in PC

If I remember correctly, it was $95 per person for adults and $89 per person for children 3 and older (2 and younger are free). We did the math and it was no cheaper to buy tickets through NCL than it was to walk up and buy them. You might, however, be able to get a ticket cheaper beforehand if you get a AAA discount or something else like that?

We just did a cruise 3 weeks ago and we docked at 10am, rented a car and was in Magic Kingdom at 1pm. Walked out of the park at 8pm, got a cab from the rental car and was back on the ship at 9:30pm. It was midweek so we got on just about all the rides and walked the whole park. If you are a Disney person it is worth it

I did the excursion when I was on the Jewel.

We left at around 1pm ish - got to the park at around 2:15pm ish, the last bus left at 8:15p. (We tried to take the earlier one but it was full so settled with the 8:15p which was nearly full).

We went to Epcot and we got 6+ hours in the park. We did a few rides, walked around, shopped at bit and managed to fit in a late lunch at Epcot. Honestly, if you're looking to just take a nice stroll for nostalgia's sake (I took my parents after a 25 year hiatus), then you're fine. But if you're looking to jam on all the rides etc, it could be tight, esp if the park is very busy.

Oh and by the way, it rained like crazy for an hour, which basically meant we lost an hour in the park b/c we were stuck in an area and couldn't really go out since it was pouring. Keep that in mind when/if you decide to take the excursion. Personally I think unless you really have a reason to go, you're better off saving the money given the very tight window of time you have at the park.

We just did a cruise 3 weeks ago and we docked at 10am, rented a car and was in Magic Kingdom at 1pm. Walked out of the park at 8pm, got a cab from the rental car and was back on the ship at 9:30pm. It was midweek so we got on just about all the rides and walked the whole park. If you are a Disney person it is worth it

Was the cab easy to get from the car rental place? Did you have to call or the cab was waiting there since the rental office is closed by the time you return?

Do you mind telling how much the cab fare was?

Thanks in advance!

This might help you to compare...

Right off the Disney site:

Park Passes (good for ANY of the Disney Parks, not hopper pass, 1 day ticket)

Ages 10 & Older - $90.53

Ages 3 - 9 - $84.14

Ages 2 and Under - Free

We rented a car there after a Disney cruise - go to the Port of Call board and check out the threads for car rentals. You can get a car rental for $75.00 (or less). Ours came with navigation and we drove right over to Orlando.

This might help you to compare...

We rented a car there after a Disney cruise - go to the Port of Call board and check out the threads for car rentals. You can get a car rental for $75.00 (or less). Ours came with navigation and we drove right over to Orlando.

We definitely would have considered that if we had been able to plan in advance to go to Canaveral. (We were diverted from Bermuda). But factor in car seats for two kids, fuel, tolls, and parking for the Magic Kingdom, I'm ok with our decision.

Of course, your mileage may vary, especially if you don't have to pay for carseats.

We definitely would have considered that if we had been able to plan in advance to go to Canaveral. (We were diverted from Bermuda). But factor in car seats for two kids, fuel, tolls, and parking for the Magic Kingdom, I'm ok with our decision.

Of course, your mileage may vary, especially if you don't have to pay for carseats.

Hey, you are from my neck of the woods! :D

Actually, I am in the same boat, so to speak. ;) I am on Gem to Bermuda and I am already working it out the "what ifs" of being rerouted to Port Canaveral (or Canada). We always cruise in hurricane season. And we always cruise with kids - with car seats.

I like to always be prepared for anything. :)

Archived