Need medical answers fast please

Suzque49

This thread made me think - -

Does a person's medical insurance (e.g. employer or Medicare) cover treatment aboard ship?

No, it does not. Whatever you incur aboard ship you can file with your own insurance company when you return. Some pay; some do not. Medicare does not.

This thread made me think - -

Does a person's medical insurance (e.g. employer or Medicare) cover treatment aboard ship?

All depends on the insurance. My employee insurance covered my med treatment I had on an Oceania cruise 3 years ago. (However my Dh is NOT covered out of country on his work policy) We paid my bill as part of our onboard account balance and when I got home turned in all the paper work for reimbursement to my company. No problems.

Medicare will not cover anything out of the country. Travel insurance comes into play if you have no other coverage. But be prepared to pay it before leaving the ship AND make sure you have readable copies of EVERY treatment, RX, doctor visit etc when you leave the ship. Any insurance will ask for all kinds of proof of diagnosis and treatments.

I have an existing Medical Problem and since the Dr. on the ship doesn't know all the details, I have my Dr. precribed an antibiotic and antiviral before I leave on the Cruise. Hopefully, I won't get ill but I am prepared & have peace of mind. I think You should call your Dr. and tell Him You are going on a cruise and I am sure He will prescribe these antibiotics for you. Just My Opinion.

Does anyone know what antibiotics the medical center on the ship has on hand? I am having an attack of diverticulitis (had it before so I know what it feels like) and I know I need cipro and flagyl. Is this something they have available?

call the cruiseline and tell them what you need and they will carry it onboard...thats what i do before i leave...i make sure they have my meds. Some of the ports carry meds especially if you are visiting mexico, they have everything and you dont even need a dr to get it

They are actually on the ship right now so I guess was asking prior to spending money and going to the medical center!

To the OP, hope you feel better and can enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Most people if they were already on the ship and needed a specific medication would either call the infirmary or go down to it instead of going on CC to find out what the infirmary had.

Hard to understand the logic of some people.

DON

But your Medicare supplementary insurance may. Mine, for example, does.

Bill

Having been "in the industry" for more years than I choose to count, I have found that a great majority of Medicare recipient's do not have Medi-gap insurance. Everyone you know probably has it, so you'd be surprised to find out how many do not.

I had a diverticulitus attack on the Coral a few years ago (I did not know what it was).. Anyway the medical staff quickly diagnosed it and had all the necessary meds and equipment to take care of it. I now carry a copy of the treatment they gave me on all cruises . If it happens again it may bsave them some time.

Medicare will not cover it on a ship. Your supplemental and trip insurance will.

My husband fell and broke his ankle on a cruise several years ago. My private insurance paid for everything but a $20 co pay and the ship board bill was about $700, very pleasant surprise. We paid the bill and submitted to insurance. Also had travel insurance. Our at home bills for surgery etc were almost $ 20,000

and between my insurance and travel insurance we paid only $20 copay.

Just a tip....most major insurance companies (including the one I work for) will reimburse you for medical services received while out of the country on vacation and on cruise ships. We see these all the time. They would be considered a direct member reimbursement claim. Make sure that the diagnosis you were seen for and the treatment they performed are clearly explained or noted and just submit the claim once you return. It will be considered out of network but you should get some sort of reimbursement from your plan. If the plan denies the claim and you have a medical flexible spending account (FSA) you can reimburse yourself from that account.

**side note***Claims of this nature require special handling by an actual human being and may be denied in error initially by the system if codes are missing. Computers can't do everything right all the time.

Archived