Need medical answers fast please

Suzque49

If they don't, they will find something similar (that is what they did for me when I told them of a medication I have taken in the past for a problem I had onboard). They did not have that specific medication, but they found another that was pretty much the same. But you will have to go to the medical clinic first before you will know for sure.

We always go prepared and have our own medical kit especially if we are concerned about an illness that could flare up whilst away.

I would rather have the prescriptions on hand than pay out for the Doctor on board to do the prescribing.

Jennie

why don't you go and be proactive by having both prescriptions with you? You will have the correct dose etc and the knowledge that they were prescribed by your own doctor?:)

They are actually on the ship right now so I guess was asking prior to spending money and going to the medical center!

To the OP, hope you feel better and can enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I have just read that the OP is already on a cruise so our advice about taking along medication isn't warranted.

Yes, go to the Doctor on board and tell him what your Doctor prescribes for your particular condition. As you are in Alaska and probably in a port nearly every day, if the ship doesn't have the medication on board, you can go to a Pharmacy and get the script filled.

Jennie

Does anyone know what antibiotics the medical center on the ship has on hand? I am having an attack of diverticulitis (had it before so I know what it feels like) and I know I need cipro and flagyl. Is this something they have available?

It appears that you are aboard a ship so I'm surprised you'd spend the money to post here rather than simply calling the infirmary.

Does anyone know what antibiotics the medical center on the ship has on hand? I am having an attack of diverticulitis (had it before so I know what it feels like) and I know I need cipro and flagyl. Is this something they have available?

Can't tell you about Flagyl, but ciprofloxacin is always on board.

It appears that you are aboard a ship so I'm surprised you'd spend the money to post here rather than simply calling the infirmary.

A lot of us don't have to pay to post -- maybe the OP is Platinum level.

At any rate, OP, Feel better soon:)

You happen to have refills on it at a Rx?? Since you're sailing in the US, I'd get off at the next port and have the Rx transferred there. You know what ya need....no use paying the ship (unless you're hurting so bad you can't wait to get to port)

So I'd guess any of the ports you'll hit will have some kind of Rx in the town

Good luck and hope it won't ruin your cruise.....I can't imagine having GI issues when you're pigging out on a cruise.......bummer

update.....our posts crossed....so much for my idea...you were even in port....oh well

Thanks for the input. I went to the medical center and got the medsI needed plus pain meds. (I'm on 3G not on ships Internet in port at Skagway)

Good to hear. Hope they take care of the problem quickly so you can continue to enjoy your cruise.

its so awful being ill and hurting on a cruise, but the care received at the medical centre is wonderful. we needed the medical centre on the coral this time last year. i hope you feel better soon and can enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I suffer from the same condition and my biggest fear is having an attack just before or while on a cruise. It's not for fear of not being able to get the medication. It's the fear of not being able to eat anything that I enjoy or being able to drink adult drinks. I hope you aren't in too much pain and are still able to enjoy your itinerary.

Thanks for the input. I went to the medical center and got the medsI needed plus pain meds. (I'm on 3G not on ships Internet in port at Skagway)

Don't ever travel again without your meds for this problem. I put up with it for 10 years and finally had the operation two years ago. No probems since but I still take the meds with me on every trip. It's important to start the antibiotic right away as the infection can get worse the longer you wait. Have friends who have ended up in the hospital with serious problems. Stay away from popcorn and nuts, but you probably know that. Be careful about "over eating" .... that will bring on an episode too.

As you can see, I am hyper on this subject. Ten years was a long time to suffer and the problem became unbearable the last two years. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. :)

why don't you go and be proactive by having both prescriptions with you? You will have the correct dose etc and the knowledge that they were prescribed by your own doctor?:)

Glad OP was able to get what she needed, I agree with you, never leave home without any reg meds you might need, including antibiotics and pain pills. This is just good advise.

Nita

This can be very serious and you should go immediately to the medical center and take the antibiotics they have. Don't wait!!!

PS I see you went already, glad they could help you!

I think I'm going thru the same thing right now. My mom had it and was in so much pain with it. I been having problems for a month now and just called my doc. They don't have an appointment available until next week but I hope she calls me back soon. Not much fun. Take care and hope you are feeling better soon.

I used to laugh at my dh for packing a whole medicine cabinet worth of pills when traveling. That was until we needed something the medical center didn't keep on hand. (We could be a second source of meds for the other passengers! :D) And we don't need to pay any higher costs for purchasing them while on vacation.

We carry a whole "hospital." My husband is one for contingencies and the few times we needed something, we had it. Of course that "hospital" takes the place of a pair of shoes.

Sounds like my DH. Me??? I make sure I have the blister pads, mole skin, bandaids etc. Just for those wear spots on my tootsies from the warm weather. ;)

Archived