Serenade Solarium

cruzin2relax

Although the moving roof CAN open to let the sun in, I have never seen any of the Radiance Class ships with the Solarium open.

If it is the Caribbean, they'll have it closed with the airconditioning running.

If it is Alaska, they close it with the heat going.

Hope This Helps.

So your saying that the roof isn't glass? We were on the Oasis and it was mostly glass.

I think the difference is on the Oasis, the solarium is open air, but with a glass roof. On the Serenade it will be completely enclosed with a retractable glass roof... that probably won't be retracted.

Someone come along and correct/add as necessary...

I think the difference is on the Oasis, the solarium is open air, but with a glass roof. On the Serenade it will be completely enclosed with a retractable glass roof... that probably won't be retracted.

Someone come along and correct/add as necessary...

No corrections from me - sounds right.:)

Yes, the roof is glass. Someone will come and post shortly that you can't tan in there but I have gotten sunburns in the solarium before so your milage may vary.

No tanning under glass.....one of the things I dislike about the "enclosed" solariums!

Some things around here are as dependable as the sun rising in the morning.

The short answer is yes, you can get a tan in the Solarium. It won't happen as fast as if you were outside, but you can still tan if you are sitting in a sunny spot.

Glass blocks about 80% of UVB rays but only blocks 5-15% of UVA rays. UVB rays penetrate the outer layer (epidermis) of the skin and cause sunburns and contribute to skin cancer. UVA rays penetrate to the inner skin layer (dermis) and is the "tanning" ray, which is why tanning beds emit UVA rays. It was previously thought that UVA rays weren't as damaging as UVB rays because the UVB rays are the cause of sunburns. Subsequent research shows that because UVA rays penetrate deeper into the skin, they contribute more to DNA mutation and skin cancers.

I have gotten a sunburn in the Solarium, but I am very fair skinned. The 20% of UVB rays getting through the windows in enough to cause me to burn if I stay in there for very long without using sunscreen. If UVB rays are getting through, then UVA rays are also getting through.

There are special films that block UVA/UVB rays from penetrating glass. This is a different film than standard "window tint." Standard window tint films do not block the UVA rays. I know RC ships have tinted windows in the Solarium, but I do not think that they have the UV protective films. The UV protective films are more expensive than standard window tints. I drive alot so I have the UV protective tint on my truck windows to protect me from sun damage.

The Skin Cancer Foundation website has information on the affects of UVA/UVB rays and how to protect yourself from them.

Sounds like I'll pick a sunny spot in the Solarium & use some suntan lotion (for a while & then move to a shady area). I'm fair skinned as well and would like to get some sun (as evidence of being on vacation) but do not want to have a severe sunburn & ruin my vacation.

Thanks all for the information!

Reyne

Archived