Bear Watching - September 2012

ndjoe

My wife and I are doing a back to back on the Coral Princess next September. While looking at the bear watching excursions from the Princess web site, I noticed a least two available at Ketchikan (black bear) Juneau (brown bear) and Skagway (brown bear). I guess we are more interested in viewing brown bears, but since all of these excursions seem expensive, I would like to take the one that would give us the best opportunity of seeing bears. Yes, I know, bear sightings are not guaranteed, but would love to hear from fellow travelers who have experienced this wonderful excursion. Will visiting the first two weeks in September, give us a better opportunity in either of the three cities I mentioned above? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Joe & Kathy

Anything out of Skagway goes to Haines, which is iffy at best for bear viewing.

Out of Ketchikan Neets Bay and Traitor's Cove are operating early Sept. Out of Juneau it would probably be Pack Creek, or the fly combo tour to Hoonah.

As mentioned you need to look at the salmon runs and sighting stats.

You actually are missing one of the best, and cheapest opportunities of getting to Denali Park. In the fall this place is outstanding with the bears power eating and the tundra covered in color of berries. :) I wouldn't miss interior Alaska, myself.

You need to look carefully at tour descriptions and be certain they identify the location of any bear tour. Never consider a general "watch" tour that doesn't.

Archived