Pre Cruise on Lago Maggiore

susietb

We are planning to spend a couple of Days in Stresa prior to our med cruise from

Venice. We are flying into Milan going to Stresa and then by train to Venice. Has anyone else done this, and can you recommend a hotel on the Lake.

Thank you

I have not done this pre-cruise, but I have been to Lake Maggiore and Lake Como. They

are both beautiful, but Lake Como is closer to Milan. Are you planing on renting a car? Or just going on boat rides to visit different scenic locations? I was on a land tour.

The hotel we stayed in Como was the Hotel Terminus, it was good for location but not a wonderful hotel. For Lake Maggiore we went for the day from a hotel an hour outside Turin.

Stresa is my spouse's favorite place in Europe. I have no choice when we go there; we stay at the Grand Hotel Des Iles Borromees. This is old-fashioned grand hotel. It also has to be a Junior Suite with Lake View.

Actually, I think there are better hotels for less money in Stresa. One is Hotel Fontana.

When my husband and I drove through Italy, we stayed at Ca Mea (small B&B) type place. We had a room right on the front of the hotel facing Lake Maggiore, with a balcony. We loved the Lake District and spent 5 nights here. It was a little drive to downtown Stresa, but it was great. Check it out.

http://www.venere.com/hotels/stresa/hotel-ca-mea/

I liked this one, but hubby wouldn't pay that much for a hotel room.

http://www.expedia.com/Lake-Maggiore-Hotels-Hotel-Royal.h1890716.Hotel-Information

Have a great trip, Lake Maggiore was my favorite place of the whole month in Italy.

We stayed in Stresa a number of years ago prior to meeting friends in Tuscany to rent a villa. Stresa is great...very walkable and you can take a passenger tour boats to various small islands where you can tour historic villas. It is a lovely setting and we were glad we had chosen it. We are not deluxe travelers and chose a place I read about in Rick Steves (I think) called Hotel Sani meubili. it suited our needs, but I would definitely check out trip advisor for recent reviews as we all know that things can change!!

Good luck

We are planning to spend a couple of Days in Stresa prior to our med cruise from

Venice. We are flying into Milan going to Stresa and then by train to Venice. Has anyone else done this, and can you recommend a hotel on the Lake.

Thank you

It has been many years since we stayed in Stresa, but there are several decent hotels (in different price ranges) right across the street from the Lake. One of the best parts of the region was simply driving around the lake and stopping at various places and little towns (DW recalls we stumbled on a great flea market in a town on the other side of the Lake). Not sure if you are planning on driving, but there is much to be said for driving to Stresa and then later driving all the way to Venice (with perhaps a stopover in Verona).

Hank

Archived