a different beach

nigkar

We have visited St Maarten before and took an island tour that visited both orient and maho beaches.

This time we intend having a beach day,but would like to visit a different beach.

Can anybody recommend one (or two) ?

and how much it would cost in a taxi to get there,or even by public transport.

Cheers !

We haven't been there since 2006, but the picture in my avatar is Bae Rouge. It is a lovely beach that is much less crowded than Orient and others, has a very nice beach bar, and chairs/umbrellas are available for a small fee.

Our only problem was getting there and back. That may have changed by now.

We haven't been there since 2006, but the picture in my avatar is Bae Rouge. It is a lovely beach that is much less crowded than Orient and others, has a very nice beach bar, and chairs/umbrellas are available for a small fee.

Our only problem was getting there and back. That may have changed by now.

It really was a beautiful beach. Unfortunately things have changed at Baie Rouge. This past July we stopped at it and it was very busy to the point that the parking was full and there was an attendant there. The beach chairs were not orderly like at Orient or Mullet, they were just put here and there in a jumbled mess. There was some sort of make shift beach wear store and the wraps were hung up haphazzardly and the beach just looked so chaotic that we didn't even stay. What a shame.

We have visited St Maarten before and took an island tour that visited both orient and maho beaches.

This time we intend having a beach day,but would like to visit a different beach.

Can anybody recommend one (or two) ?

and how much it would cost in a taxi to get there,or even by public transport.

Cheers !

What month will you be there?

I second that one. You would avoid the traffic by Simpson Bay as well. Take a look at www.snorkel-trips-sxm.com they have some nice pictures of Petite Plage, one of the beaches in Grand Case.

that looks great !!!

could you tell me how far it is from the port,and how much I can expect to pay for a taxi,return fare.

also does the beach have any restaurants,shaded area's ,etc.

thanks for the info...

that looks great !!!

could you tell me how far it is from the port,and how much I can expect to pay for a taxi,return fare.

also does the beach have any restaurants,shaded area's ,etc.

thanks for the info...

It would take about 30 minutes normally to get to Grand Case and a little longer to return in the afternoon. The cost is $25 for two people in a taxi in each direction. There is a nice restaurant called the Sunset Cafe right at the beach and you can even have the food delivered to your beach lounger if you prefer. There is not natural shade that I recall at Petiti Plage but they will put up umbrellas along with the beach chairs if you are looking for shade.

The town of Grand Case is only a 5 minute or so walk from here and you may prefer to eat at one of the LOLO's (BBQ establishments) or other restaurants that are open for lunch instead of at Sunset Cafe.

Since this particular bout of construction seems to be very disruptive this would be a good choice for a beach but just keep checking back on the thread out on the construction for up to date information on the traffic conditions on the island.

It really was a beautiful beach. Unfortunately things have changed at Baie Rouge. This past July we stopped at it and it was very busy to the point that the parking was full and there was an attendant there. The beach chairs were not orderly like at Orient or Mullet, they were just put here and there in a jumbled mess. There was some sort of make shift beach wear store and the wraps were hung up haphazzardly and the beach just looked so chaotic that we didn't even stay. What a shame.

I'm so sorry to hear this. We were thinking of another visit there in December. It really was a very nice quiet beach. :(

I'm so sorry to hear this. We were thinking of another visit there in December. It really was a very nice quiet beach. :(

It really caught us off guard. It was a Tuesday in July. Who would have figured on this. It's a long beach but I just couldn't get over how messy it looked. I heard that there is not always the "store" there so maybe you could try it and have a back up beach to go to just in case.

Archived