Naples/Sorrento Ferries in October

jmps

We are booked with other CCers on on private tour from the port in Naples to the Amalfi coast on Oct. 30th with APtours. The arrangement was to be dropped at the ferry in Sorrento to get back to the ship. I have been reading about the ferries stopping service in October. I haven't found a way to see if the ferries are still running. Does anyone know if this will be an issue? Thanks.

Try asking some locals on the Trip Advisor. I found it very hard to get good information on ferry schedules. In the early spring there were very strange schedules and none made much sense. BUT... if you have a private tour company that is going to lead you to the ferry so that you can take a specific one for your tour (or end of) then I would just get them to tell you when that will be. You can trust a recommended touring company with the right information.

There are no ferry boats between Naples and Sorrento but there are fast hydrofoils which run all year long. The run from Sorrento to Naples Molo Beverello (right next to the cruise terminal) takes about 30 minutes. In October there will still be seven runs from 07.20 in the morning until 18.50 in the evening.

There are no ferry boats between Naples and Sorrento but there are fast hydrofoils which run all year long. The run from Sorrento to Naples Molo Beverello (right next to the cruise terminal) takes about 30 minutes. In October there will still be seven runs from 07.20 in the morning until 18.50 in the evening.

Thanks for such timely information

Srpilo

Anyone have an idea about Naples -> Positano hydrofoil service in May? We hope to disembark in Naples, tour around the area for the day, and take the hydrofoil to Positano where we'll be staying for a few days. As I interpret the schedule, hydrofoil only does this route first thing in the morning? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :cool:

That particular run (Naples-Amalfi Coast) is done by the Metro del Mare. This year the MM ran on a greatly reduced schedule from previous years due to financial cut-backs. For 2012 we'll have to wait and see what happens. For sure the schedule won't be released until Easter time at the earliest.

If all else fails, you can take a hydrofoil from Naples to Sorrento and then bus or taxi to Positano.

We also did the tour with APTours.....ending in Sorrento and took the ferry back. this was late (really late November).

It was definitely not a hydrofoil, but rather a large boat. and our tour group (8 of us) were the only tourists on it.......the rest were all locals going home from work.

We docked right next to our ship but did have to walk out a ways in order to enter the secured area of the dock....but still maybe a 5 minute process.

We tend to lump them together in the hydrofoil category while in actuality, the Naples-Sorrento boats are either hydrofoils, jetboats, or catamarans. I would suspect that yours was a jetboat and they are fairly large.

We are boat owners, live on an island....... so pretty much know my boats. Definately not a hydrofoil or catamaran....... as for being a jet boat....ummm maybe but don't think so. It was a large single hull almost ferry looking boat. Inside all one large space with lots of bench seats. TV with local news playing at one end.......all locals but us.

We are boat owners, live on an island....... so pretty much know my boats. Definately not a hydrofoil or catamaran....... as for being a jet boat....ummm maybe but don't think so. It was a large single hull almost ferry looking boat. Inside all one large space with lots of bench seats. TV with local news playing at one end.......all locals but us.

Here we call them jetboats because of their propulsion system. You're right, they're single hulled and can be smallish or large, carrying up to 300 pax. One of the standard ones on that route is the Vesuvio Jet run by Alilauro.

Here we call them jetboats because of their propulsion system. You're right, they're single hulled and can be smallish or large, carrying up to 300 pax. One of the standard ones on that route is the Vesuvio Jet run by Alilauro.

Thanks ! Don't remember the name....our guide from APTours purchased our tickets and made sure we got on the right one.....so was really not paying attention. It was a really neat way to end our day - traveling back near the shore instead of driving back over roads already traveled.

We are doing the exact same tour in a few weeks......it was that good !

Will have SIL/BIL w/us and they havent been to this area yet.Can't wait.

Someday I will get to Capri !!! Was going on our last visit (2nd one) but I was ill that day so didnt get to go :( But I will someday !!!!

Archived