Millenium vs. Sapphire Princess Southbound

owensamo

I'm in the process of planning a 2012 Alaska cruisetour, either with Celebrity or Princess, and I'm having a problem. We were fully ready to sail Princess on the Coral - then we had to look at different dates due to new end of school year events that we need to be home for. So now the only 2 ships with dates in our ranfe are the Celebrity Millenium and the Sapphire Princess for a Southbound cruise from somewhere near Anchorage.

In pricing a 10 day cruisetour for both, I can find the accomodations I want, but I can get a Concierge cabin on the Millenium for ~$750 less than a minisuite on Princess - and there's a $570 shipboard credit on the Millie that I wouldn't get on the Sapphire. This makes me lean towards the Millie - but my DH is resisting, since Princess goes to Hubbard + Glacier Bay, while Celebrity goes to Hubbard + Icy Strait Point. I really want to see Glacier Bay, but for the difference we could flightsee there from Icy Strait! Or get drink packages, specialty dining, etc.

Has anyone done both and have recommendations? This is our first Alaska adventure, and may be our last (though I have family in Anchorage) as there are many other places we want to visit. We're planning on a large group trip with 4 children age 7-12, so kids clubs do play into it as well. I've read some old posts on Icy Strait Point vs. Glacier Bay, and Hubbard vs. Glacier Bay, and it seems like there's no real consensus on what the better itinerary is. What I'm really wondering is - is Glacier Bay worth ~$1000 more?

Thanks!

One thing to think about is the Millennium leaves from Vancouver and every thing is expensive there so if you are thinking of arriving a day early it's not cheep. Vancouver is a pretty city but a hassle getting from the airport to the dock/hotel. Seattle isn't real easy but not as expensive.

Now for Icy Point strait it's a great Whale watching area when we where there in July we watched a Whale for half an hour from the sunset bar. As far as things going on on shore the zip line and Whale watching tours are about it. It's a town owned by the cruise lines so when the season ends so does the town with all of it's *#^* shops. One more piece of advice would be to take some warm close for the Hubbard Glacier day it's cold around all that ice.

Duane

I am cruising with high school classmates Southbound leaving Anchorage. This is my 2nd cruise to Alaska. I have never to Icy Straight so wanted to see it. Last cruise was Holland America and a Cruise Tour and pricy but worth it. And we can fly home to Montana and Wyoming from Vancouver on a late night flight, so we won't have to pay for another hotel.

For a once in a lifetime trip I would go with Princess and see both GLacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier if glaciers and scenery are a priority.

As far as Icy Strait, we went on a great whale watch there and then walked around Hoonah and then walked back to the cruise ship. We enjoyed seeing a "real" Alaska town and how people live in other parts of our country. However, many on our cruise were very disappointed in Icy Strait/Hoonah. Some actually stated they thought it was a waste of a port day.

A lot does depend on your interests. Learn all you can about your options and then choose what you think your group will most enjoy.

IF Glacier Bay is your "priority", then Princess is your only choice. Only you are going to be able to decide, but you seem to have done research which led you to this decision to begin with.

On the "cruisetour" section, in my opinion, none of the 3 day add ons are a good use of time and rarely they offer anything much but long transits with little time at destinations. The edge goes to Celebrity, IF you are including Talkeetna/McKinley Princess Lodge. And a big decision would depend on the Denali Park time and inclusions. Celebrity offers NO refunds if the Natural History/Discover Denali tour is included. You can get this changed, direct yourself. But that would require you effort in doing so, no one elses. Be certain to understand ALL the details of any cruisetour. Most people do not.

One thing to think about is the Millennium leaves from Vancouver and every thing is expensive there so if you are thinking of arriving a day early it's not cheep. Vancouver is a pretty city but a hassle getting from the airport to the dock/hotel. Seattle isn't real easy but not as expensive.

Duane

OP made it clear that they have to sail South from AK...that completely takes Seattle out of the picture as a terminus for their cruise.

The S class Celebrity ships have the absolutely wonderful FV cabins on the aft of the ship.

May be something to consider if you have kids traveling with you. Can sleep up to five (although three are on small sofa beds). The balconies are absolutely HUGE. The corner FV's are the best cabins on the ship IMHO. Enough room for easily 8-12 people. We have had 8 adults at a table with chairs and rooms for 3 loungers in a corner FV going through the Panama Canal. There is a separate room with a hard divider separating the main cabin from the two sofa beds and table. Two TV's. Only one bathroom if you have a lot of people. The storage is unbelievable and the corner FV's have a totally separate entry hallway where you can store all kinds of luggage. May be worth looking into.

Archived