Just Returned from Avalon Tapestry

RMurp007

This was our first riverboat cruise. We found Avalon to be very organized, prompt and reliable. The included tours were OK but we found them to be mostly bus rides around town. They need to include more stops or inside tours. I would not recommend the concert optional excursion in Vienna. The venue was just a practice room and very hot. Most people were disappointed with this one. Also, be very careful if you use any public transportation. Two of our group had to pay hefty fines for not validating their tickets. Also, two more were fined because they did not understand that they had to purchase another ticket to ride the funicular back down in Prague. The cruise director, Barbara, was a wealth of knowledge and an excellent speaker. The food and service were outstanding. The hotels used at the beginning and end of our trip were top notch. While, we enjoyed our cruise, I don't think we would do it again, as we prefer to travel on our own where we can spend more in-depth time in each location.

We were on this same cruise - it was from Prague (Nuremburg) to Budapest and Barbara was the same cruise director you had. We know this because I printed out your review from your cruise last year and we showed it to her. She said she remembers you!!

We enjoyed the concert in Vienna - especially the second half after they opened doors to let air in the very warm hall. It really wasn't what we expected but we enjoyed it just the same.

What we really enjoyed was the Folklore Dinner in Prague. Oh, and don't forget the awesome views at night in Budapest.

Before going on the cruise we knew there wouldn't be nightly entertainment like on the big cruise ships and I was prepared to go to my cabin and rest after dinner. My DH, however, evidently didn't read that part and so was disappointed at the lack of things to do after dinner. But, he did say he would go on another river cruise.

I really enjoyed the cruise and would do another one in a minute as long as someone invents a quicker way to get to Europe and back than the long airplane rides.

I hear you about the long rides... however, they don't seem quite as long to us anymore after out trip to New Zealand in June. Our flight (non-stop) from Auckland to Vancouver was over 13 hours... and that only got us back into Canada!! We live another 5 hrs (flight time) from Vancouver.

The 13 hr travel time to get to St. Petersburg next May doesn't seem quite so overwhelming now... :D

Fran

Sassy 12, thanks! I can't believe that Barbara remembered us, she was probably being nice, but we sure remembered her...she made our cruise great. I'm glad you had a good time...we sure did....so much so that we cancelled our 2 ocean cruises booked for this year and booked a river cruise for next April/May.

I have to agree that I HATE the flights. Here in Tucson you can't get anywhere without stopping. Last year from Prague back to Tucson was 29 and a half hours from the time we left the hotel (at 4 AM). I was pretty cranky when we got back...especially because I am 6 foot 1 and there is always an idiot in front of me in coach who feels the necessity to recline their seat. I NEVER recline, because I know how awful it is for the person behind. It sucked. I think the airlines should just disable the recline of the seats, would negate a lot of fights.

Edited by stretchcruz

29 hours to get home from Prague is brutal... :eek: Somehow 28 hrs to get to the south island in Dunedin doesn't seem as bad now.

How many stops did you need to get home?? Was there lots of lay over time - or just a number of long flights?

If that is a common travel time, I am impressed that you are heading back yo Europe next year. I find 12-13 hrs manageable - but do get "cranky" if we are longer than that.

Fran

This was our first riverboat cruise. We found Avalon to be very organized, prompt and reliable. The included tours were OK but we found them to be mostly bus rides around town. They need to include more stops or inside tours. I would not recommend the concert optional excursion in Vienna. The venue was just a practice room and very hot. Most people were disappointed with this one. Also, be very careful if you use any public transportation. Two of our group had to pay hefty fines for not validating their tickets. Also, two more were fined because they did not understand that they had to purchase another ticket to ride the funicular back down in Prague. The cruise director, Barbara, was a wealth of knowledge and an excellent speaker. The food and service were outstanding. The hotels used at the beginning and end of our trip were top notch. While, we enjoyed our cruise, I don't think we would do it again, as we prefer to travel on our own where we can spend more in-depth time in each location.

RMurp007 what kind of fines were paid and who collected the fines. It sounds like they broke some kind of law and the government collected the fines.

Roger

• 3 years later...

The ship was comfortable, not too small or too big. The crew was wonderful. The food and service was top notch. The room was spacious and nicely decorated.

The couple stopped and fined for not putting their ticket into the box (which they didn't see) had the man follow them to the hotel to make sure it was legit. As they got closer to the hotel, the fine went down. At the hotel, they only had to pay a fraction of the original fine quoted.