Anyone done MTD who required a Gluten-free Diet?

We have always had set seating, usually early since DD is diabetic and requires a gluten-free diet. However, on the cruise we're considering for next summer we are thinking about MTD since the port stops are late (Western Med cruise, if that makes a difference). RCCL has done really well accommodating DD's special GF needs in the past, just picked her menu a night ahead and we had as meany meals as possible in the main dining room.

How well has MTD worked for those with GF needs? We are a family of 4 and will be wanting a table just for ourselves since DD is also disabled (similar to autism). There might end up being 5 if other DD decides to bring a friend.

Also, we would be shooting for a time around 7pm or so for dinner if that makes a difference too. We would have no problem designating that time ahead of time.

We have always had set seating, usually early since DD is diabetic and requires a gluten-free diet. However, on the cruise we're considering for next summer we are thinking about MTD since the port stops are late (Western Med cruise, if that makes a difference). RCCL has done really well accommodating DD's special GF needs in the past, just picked her menu a night ahead and we had as meany meals as possible in the main dining room.

How well has MTD worked for those with GF needs? We are a family of 4 and will be wanting a table just for ourselves since DD is also disabled (similar to autism). There might end up being 5 if other DD decides to bring a friend.

Also, we would be shooting for a time around 7pm or so for dinner if that makes a difference too. We would have no problem designating that time ahead of time.

My partner is also GF, and we have only done MTD. We always request the same server, and the same process applies for traditional dining. The first night I would make it known that you would like the same server, and if necessary make your standing reservation. We usually don't make a reservation, and never had a problem.

I can't speak for gluten free, but on our Med. cruise this past summer, I had requested in advance a NO sodium (as opposed to a low sodium diet). We had MTD. What I learned was that once your special request is in the computer system, you are good to go with any waiter. You can certainly request a table for 4 or 5 at a set time, and I recommend that you do that as MTD grows in popularity especially in the Med. when second seating is at 9 p.m.

Early in the cruise, we encountered one waiter who was so knowledgeable about the menu items that we requested a table in his station for the rest of the cruise. We dubbed him "the food police." He was able to tell me which menu choices were able to be made no sodium and which would only be low sodium. I ordered my dinner for the next night while dessert was being served. He even arranged a special menu for me when we ate at Chops one night.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks, that helps a lot. I think we will go ahead and choose MTD when we book. Do we need to go ahead and reserve a time since we will be wanting between 7 and 7:30 or are we fine to wait til we get on board to designate a time since there's 4 of us.

Book a time as soon as you make your reservation. MTD in the Med. fills up fast.

You should contact Special Services. They will send a form and you can put down what you need. They will make beards GF for her too.

Thanks, but we have cruised before and am familiar with special needs etc. It's because RCCL (& Carnival) do so well with the GF that we are looking to cruise again for the major vacations. She looks forward to having her own bread and choosing ahead of time.

With MTD can you reserve different times for different nights ahead of time or do you have to reserve one set time? We prefer to eat earlier but most of the cruise stops do not leave port til 7 or 8pm. We also want to eat a little later on those late port days. Shows are also important to DD so we want to try to schedule the dinner times where we can make the shows.

The shows were at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. You can easily make a 10 p.m. show using MTD. You can reserve MTD for whatever days and times you want. Do it on line once you have made your reservation for the cruise. Once you're on the ship, after the first dinner, tell the maitre'd that you want to stay with that particular waiter (only if you're happy). You might not be sitting at the exact same table every night, but you will be in his area.

Once you experience it for yourself, you'll see that it all works out. I was very skeptical too, but was delighted with the menu accommodations and service.

Rumor has it that the better/best waiters are assigned to MTD because they are guaranteed gratuities through pre-payment. I don't know if this is true or not, but all the waiters we had in MTD were superb.

Archived