Corkage Fee when there is no cork?

I Luv Crusin

wine-tetra-pak-group-shot-300x297.jpgIn theory these would have a cork fee even though they don't even have a top and are not a bottle.

Actually love these tetra pack wines. Straws are optional.:D

That is hilarious! :D I know you're from Canada, but do you have any idea if they sell these in the US? Have you ever brought them on board?

I just got off my cruise last week and we each took a bottle on board. 3 with traditional corks and one with a screw top. I took a 99 cent cork screw with me that we got from the local party source and I opened each bottle at the table and used the glasses on the table since they provide a secondary glass anyway we just used those and no one said anything. so open your bottle yourself and have a good time!

Yep... they would. There's actually some fairly good wines now with a screw cap. I don't buy them... but friends of mine have and say they're pretty good...

:)

Yep, alot of very fine vineyards are switching from cork to screw top. Has actually nothing to do with the quality of the wine.

Here is my wine story: We decided to bring a few bottles of wine with us on our cruse to Alaska this past May. I opened the bottle in our room and brought it with us into the dining room. I poured several glasses but we had a little wine left in the bottle so I just sat it on the table while we were eating. Our waiter came and immediately got us a wine bucket and put the bottle in it which i thought was very nice. We finished the bottle and they took it away. THEN the waiter pulled me aside after dinner and asked if we would be bringing our own wine again the next day because if the MaitreD found out he could get in trouble...that is why he promptly put the bottle in a bucket so no one would know. I told him I was unaware that this would be an issue and of course we wouldn't do it again. BUT if Carnival allows me to bring a few bottles of wine on board why should it matter WHERE I drink it??

Last year on the Legend I brought wine to dinner 3 times. 1st was a red and gift from OCP (so it was the house brand) 2nd time a white and 3rd another red. They only time they charged a corking fee was for the white that they chilled for us. Not sure if that is why or not.

Here is my wine story: We decided to bring a few bottles of wine with us on our cruse to Alaska this past May. I opened the bottle in our room and brought it with us into the dining room. I poured several glasses but we had a little wine left in the bottle so I just sat it on the table while we were eating. Our waiter came and immediately got us a wine bucket and put the bottle in it which i thought was very nice. We finished the bottle and they took it away. THEN the waiter pulled me aside after dinner and asked if we would be bringing our own wine again the next day because if the MaitreD found out he could get in trouble...that is why he promptly put the bottle in a bucket so no one would know. I told him I was unaware that this would be an issue and of course we wouldn't do it again. BUT if Carnival allows me to bring a few bottles of wine on board why should it matter WHERE I drink it??

Because Carnival charges a corkage fee when you consume wine you brought on board either in the main dining room or specialty restaurant. More than likely your waiter did not want to charge you the corkage fee and the Maitre D was one that strictly enforces it. If the Maitre D (or their assistants) saw that you brought your own wine bottle to dinner and your waiter did not charge you the fee, the waiter would be repremanded.

Keep in mind,

A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse.

Comsume is the key word here. So yes, you can be charged the corkage fee even if you chill, open, and pour your own bottle in the MDR and/or speciality restaurants.

As others have stated, enforcement of the corkage fee will vary by ship and Maitre D.

Here is my wine story: We decided to bring a few bottles of wine with us on our cruse to Alaska this past May. I opened the bottle in our room and brought it with us into the dining room. I poured several glasses but we had a little wine left in the bottle so I just sat it on the table while we were eating. Our waiter came and immediately got us a wine bucket and put the bottle in it which i thought was very nice. We finished the bottle and they took it away. THEN the waiter pulled me aside after dinner and asked if we would be bringing our own wine again the next day because if the MaitreD found out he could get in trouble...that is why he promptly put the bottle in a bucket so no one would know.

The wine bucket may have served to hide the label of the wine, because the maitreD would know what brands & types are available to order through bon voyage or in the dining room.

Corkage fee has nothing to do with opening the wine although that service is included. It has to do, supposedly, with the extra service that should be provided, and the glasses that they should bring- the proper shape and size, etc. I have been charged a few times, but mostly not. You will be charged in the steak house almost always.

Plastic bottles took a trial run last fall with some of the wines that came in. They were generally not accepted and plastic bottles rapidly dropped, at least for now. The screw tops are still hard to accept with a pricey wine, even though the research shows that they are better for the wine. But if you are buying a really good bottle of wine unscrewing it does seem to subtract from the experience. I mean- sniffing the screw top does not have the same feeling of ritual.

That is hilarious! :D I know you're from Canada, but do you have any idea if they sell these in the US? Have you ever brought them on board?
Actually I really like these tetra wines (but not the ones pictured).

The problem is they usually come in 1/4(250 ml.)1/2(500 ml)and 1 liter sizes not standard 750 ml which is standard bottle size.

Unbreakable, light ,they cool fast and don't need an opener plus after drinking they fold to nothing. Love them.

Yes they sell them in the US as well as in Canada. I have never drunk them through a straw .

Except for the small, the larger size have a opening like OJ containers.

As another poster said - corkage fee has nothing to do with a cork, it is supplying ice buckets, glasses, etc. I work for a liquor store in Canada and I can tell you that a lot of the better wineries - France, Italy, Spain etc are bottling with screw caps as they had huge spoilage with corks. Also, check out the cork next time and I bet you will find that is is synthetic. And God forbid, plastic does not ruin the wine. Oh and to answer the question we have brought our own wine in and never paid a fee. Sailed on the Freedom b2b FebMar 2011. I didn't read every post so I may have duplicated answers and for that I apologize

Actually I really like these tetra wines (but not the ones pictured).

The problem is they usually come in 1/4(250 ml.)1/2(500 ml)and 1 liter sizes not standard 750 ml which is standard bottle size.

Unbreakable, light ,they cool fast and don't need an opener plus after drinking they fold to nothing. Love them.

Yes they sell them in the US as well as in Canada. I have never drunk them through a straw .

Except for the small, the larger size have a opening like OJ containers.

Eco-Friendly Bota Box Launches Line of 500ml Tetra Pak Wines

from

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/eco-friendly-bota-box-launches-line-of-500ml-tetra-pak-wines-114638909.html

While visiting local wineries here in North Georgia , I spoke with several owners of vineyards who said more and more wineries are going away from corking their wines because it is getting harder to find good corks at an affordable price.

There is actually a shortage of cork trees. And while it will take a while for the next generation of good cork trees to mature, the industry is exploring less traditional methods of sealing bottles. Chances are eventually the term "corking fee" will refer to the opening of a bottle within the next five to ten years and not an actual cork.

Host Mach, thanks for answering. I'm honoured (spelled correctly ;)).

Actually, I'm heard that some wineries are bottling ready to drink wines in PLASTIC bottles! Obviously, they would not be wines that you would hold.

We'll probably just drink our wines in the cabin.

The stores sell wine is smaller plastic bottles (sold in 6 packs) so that it is easier to have a single serving (glass) of wine instead of the need to open an entire bottle and have it go to waste. But then again- I have never had that problem (wine going to waste ;))

Archived