San Juan

Cruising P&J

I need some advise. We will be on the Star in San Juan in April. I would like to see the forts but also do not want to miss all of old town and the historical sites. I see that the ship has a "Old San Juan/New San Juan" tour that is 2 1/2 hours long. The Tour drives by the forts but do not stop.

Question: Would we see more by taking the tour or should be take a Cab to the Fort and then walk through Old San Juan from there?

Is it safe to walk around Old San Juan after dark??

Thanks in advance for your advise....

I would forgo the tour and walk. Much better that way and you wont be rushed. You can see just as much or more.

As for walking around at night I would just use normal caution as you would in any other city. If you want a recomendation for a great place to eat try the Pelican Dumas near the Normandie hotel. They have fantastic paella and you can sit outside right on the ocean. About 5 minutes from the pier.

I need some advise. We will be on the Star in San Juan in April. I would like to see the forts but also do not want to miss all of old town and the historical sites. I see that the ship has a "Old San Juan/New San Juan" tour that is 2 1/2 hours long. The Tour drives by the forts but do not stop.

Question: Would we see more by taking the tour or should be take a Cab to the Fort and then walk through Old San Juan from there?

Is it safe to walk around Old San Juan after dark??

Thanks in advance for your advise....

Morro Castle is interesting and easy to do on your own. There are brochures available and park representatives on duty. It's uphill to the castle, so take a cab up and walk back. The operating hours are 9AM to 6PM.

Old San Juan is easy to walk. Lots of pedestrians and stores. Stop for a coffee break in one of the plazas. The local coffee is excellent.

You'll see little if any of the old town section on a drive by tour - there's too much local traffic.

Be sure to visit the Butterfly People's store.

http://www.nps.gov/saju/pphtml/planyourvisit.html

http://www.butterflypeople.com/

We took the tour and were disappointed. Just do the fort and town on your own. Our ship didn't arrive until 4:30 so they kept the fort open late for the cruise passengers. We felt very safe walking around Old San Juan until we returned to the ship at 11pm.

El Morro, to my view, was kind of far away; quite a walk from the piers or a cab ride. But if you are docked right by the historic old town, the San Cristobel Fort is close by, a short walk to your right; it was very interesting, I think it was $5 for a self guided tour which we enjoyed a lot. It is along the seawall so that was pretty too.

Then we circled back, shopped, went to a fantastically fun little bar, saw a performance on the town square, and shopped our way back. By then it was nightfall, and we felt safe (2 women) but then again, we were working our way back to the ship by then!

We taxied to El Morro and walked back down thru' Old Town. I would guess this is no more than a mile and a half walk back to the pier area. If you wander around more streets, of course, that would be a longer walk. But, it's also mostly down hill!

Archived