Sovereign of the Seas mystery

coaster

Watched a show recently on this ship on some cable channel in the upper digits of the cable channel tier. It was a different show than one I saw a few years earlier which only seemed to focus on a broken clock . No mention of the clock and it just the focused on the intensive upgrade of her public areas. The amount of time and money spent to upgrade her interiors were impressive for a ship in just the middle of her lifespan.

She left the fleet just a few years ago. It doesn't make sense to me as she looked so beautiful after her makeover. Was this an experiment that just did not payoff financially to keep her in the fleet?

Edited by coaster

We've seen a few different Sovereign shows on cable. You probably saw the one about a drydocking, where Sovereign went for usual drydock upgrades and maintenance. There is no mystery. Later, she was getting older, actually became one of the oldest ships in the fleet. The newer, more modern ships were coming out and someone had to go, especially while she was still good looking and very sound mechanically. Sovereign left the fleet, as did Empress. Monarch may be next, followed by Majesty eventually. Whether we agree with it or not (our best cruises have been on Empress, Monarch and Majesty), they call it progress.

Hope we were of some help.

Rick and Deirdra

I agree that she was older. It just was impressive to see her interiors being improved upon even though they were already impressive and elegant. Makes the newer Carnival Fantasy class ships look so dated and tackier now than when they were new.

Edited by coaster

It's no mystery - what you saw were two different episodes from a series called Drydock: A Cruiseship Reborn (I believe). One episode did focus on the clock (I made a point of checking the clock out when I was on her:p) and others focused on other aspects of the refurb. It was quite extensive.

It's no mystery - what you saw were two different episodes from a series called Drydock: A Cruiseship Reborn (I believe). One episode did focus on the clock (I made a point of checking the clock out when I was on her:p) and others focused on other aspects of the refurb. It was quite extensive.

What channel is Drydock on?? I've never heard of it.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I believe that Drydock is a 5 part series or more. They show the series on RCTV on the cruise ships and probably on TLC, Planet Green or some other learning channel. I thought it was an amazing series showing the Sovereign getting updated.

This is my first posting so hope I do this right . . .

Planet Green has shown the entire series several times already in 2011. (There are five episodes in “Drydock: A Cruise Ship Reborn.”) I recorded them all on DVD and catch something new every time I watch them. Plus I am going on the Monarch in two weeks and it is the same class of ship so I’m getting a preview. Fascinating series.

1 – Disembark

2 – Bravo, Bravo

3 – Drydock Fever

4 – Final Push

5 – The Reveal

We sw the Sovereign a while back in Europe. The exterior upgrade was not very impressive. They leterally just painted over "of the seas" on the life boats and life presservers. It looked a little tacky. Has anyone ever been on a Pullmantur cruise?

Watched a show recently on this ship on some cable channel in the upper digits of the cable channel tier. It was a different show than one I saw a few years earlier which only seemed to focus on a broken clock . No mention of the clock and it just the focused on the intensive upgrade of her public areas. The amount of time and money spent to upgrade her interiors were impressive for a ship in just the middle of her lifespan.

She left the fleet just a few years ago. It doesn't make sense to me as she looked so beautiful after her makeover. Was this an experiment that just did not payoff financially to keep her in the fleet?

Thanks for posting this! I found it playing on Planet Green on Thursday and recorded it. I am three episodes in and am really enjoying it. It gets me really excited for the Monarch in December!:)

We sw the Sovereign a while back in Europe. The exterior upgrade was not very impressive. They leterally just painted over "of the seas" on the life boats and life presservers. It looked a little tacky. Has anyone ever been on a Pullmantur cruise?

Yes,I have,twice in the Caribbean on Holiday Dream and Pacific Dream (Horizon) with a third coming up later this month in the Med on Zenith.

• 7 years later...