More Convienient Rental Car Drop Off than the Airport in Fort Lauderdale?

jannam

My husband and I are considering adding a week of visiting friends and family on the Gulf coast of Florida before a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. We would fly in and rent a car in Tampa, visit, then drive to Fort Lauderdale, stay in a hotel there the night before the cruise, drop off the rental car, then board the ship.

My question is if there is a more convenient place to drop off the rental car than the airport? We haven't chosen a rental car company, or hotel yet, so if there is a hotel with a rental facility onsite, that would be good to know.

Or would it be just as easy to drop off the car at the airport?

We would be boarding the Carnival Freedom, if it makes a difference. Any info or tips you guys have for this situation would be helpful.

My husband and I are considering adding a week of visiting friends and family on the Gulf coast of Florida before a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. We would fly in and rent a car in Tampa, visit, then drive to Fort Lauderdale, stay in a hotel there the night before the cruise, drop off the rental car, then board the ship.

My question is if there is a more convenient place to drop off the rental car than the airport? We haven't chosen a rental car company, or hotel yet, so if there is a hotel with a rental facility onsite, that would be good to know.

We would be boarding the Carnival Freedom, if it makes a difference. Any info or tips you guys have for this situation would be helpful.

Most of the car rentals companys are located at the airport. They often have shuttle service to the port. At least I know you can pick up a shuttle to get a car but I would asked the rental car company prior to see if they will take you from the airport to the port. The drive is about 10 minutes.

Thrifty/Dollar have a combined office right at the entrance to the port, with a free shuttle. I believe Hertz and Budget also have offices close by with shuttles.

If you rent with Thrifty, try the Orlando Magicard code: 004M001010. If you want to rent with Hertz, find a free Gold membership offer somewhere (it's free for Aeroplan members, for instance); no discount, but will considerably speed up rental/drop off.

Alamo/National have a shared shuttle from FLL to prt. Actually it is a full size bus. Other rental companies at airport do NOT have shuttle to port. We had to show paperwork to ride it last january.

I did this shuttle myself on a previous cruise, and it was painless. I have every intention of doing it again in Feb.

Now, going from the ship to the rental car place? That didn't work out anywhere near as well.

• 1 month later...

I probably should have updated with what we decided on. We are doing Budget and returning it to the 17th street location. It was a little cheaper to return to the airport, but not significant. The 17th street says they also offer shuttles to the cruise ships.

We like renting with Budget since they include the spouse being able to drive in the price. We got a great rate through Costco. For the same price as the pay up front rate through Budget's site, we got the normal pay when you rent rate. I have always found Costco to have great rates on rental cars.

Thanks for all the information everyone!

Archived