San Francisco Cruisers

aaerobear

Many thanks for clearing that up for me, Brian. They did not waist a second getting rid of my post. I know that we went to a travel agent to book our cruises. I try to support my local agent as much as I can.

But anyway...

I was just curious what people have to say about Atlantis and RSVP. What are the strengths of both. I went on a RSVP cruise to Mexico years ago, and had the time of my life. One memory that just came to me was that there was a comet in the sky during our sailing. And as you know, the stars alone are fabulous out in the ocean, but to have a comet up there....what a scene.

So, just wanted to see what some other experiences people have had on each charter company.

And, by the way, I really am liking these boards. Everyone is so nice and enthusiastic and helpful!

Thanks again, and I will look for any replies!

Brian:)

Personally, I feel at home on RSVP because of the diversity: different age groups and many women around, tho of course predominantly men.

I dont think I'd feel as comfy on Atlantis because most everyone I've ever known who's been on them (and isn't a Circuit Boy) just wasn't as thrilled w/ their experience.

RSVP feels like a week at a Gay summer camp - Atlantis seems more like a week at the White Party in Palm Springs.

Thanks Brian, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, and kind of what I was expecting. I am guessing that the age range may be a bit higher to Alaska, and I will be happy either way. Thanks your your insight.

Best, Brian

Thanks Brian, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, and kind of what I was expecting. I am guessing that the age range may be a bit higher to Alaska, and I will be happy either way. Thanks your your insight.

Best, Brian

No problem, and you're right - Alaska draws more Couples, Bears, etc.

So which one are you booking?

My roommate and I are sailing on the 'Summer in Alaska' Atlanis cruise June 4-11 on Celebrity Infinity. We are also taking the Infinity repositioning from SF-Vancouver June 1-4. I am quite excited! This will be my second cruise, and reading these boards has become quite addictive, with all the enthusiasm and knowledge shared.

My partner and I are also taking the repositioning cruise before the Atlantis Alaska cruise. This will be our sixth Atlantis cruise. We went on the Alaska cruise last year and enjoyed it and our earlier eastern Med more than the carribean ones. There is a broader age range on those, and a greater variety of activities.

I was on the Atlantis Mediterranean cruise last summer (the second one, the one that went to the South of France and Naples), and I have never been in a friendlier, warmer group of guys. There was a broad range of ages, professions, and body types and I didn't experience any attitude. I was traveling by myself, so I was concerned about not fitting in, but everyone was very nice and Atlantis had many events for the singles.

I assume some drug use was going on, but it was not blatant. There were numerous drug references in the entertainment, and Atlantis did not state anywhere in their materials or announcements that they do not tolerate drug use. I have never been to a circuit party, so I can't say whether or not it was like one.

I would definitely cruise with Atlantis again. I would also like to try RSVP.

BTW, does anyone know when Atlantis is sending out the DVD from the cruise? Seems to be a running joke that it takes months for them to get it done.

Yes, I understand that its pretty classic for RSVP/Atlantis to send DVD's out months later, although our Alaska cruise DVD did arrive only a couple months after the trip as I recall...

And yes, the longer itineraries attract an older, more subduded crowd - same as the str8 cruises...

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew--

Gail says to get w/ you for my pearls...

;)

Seriously guys, since it looks like I may be permanently leaving Oz soon (unless the Good Fairy intercedes on my behalf PDQ) we need to call an SF Cruisers Cocktail hour sometime during the last week of April or first week of May as my target move-out date is May 6 (the Saturday that I leave for Ensenada to board Mercury)

Martuni's?

Somewhere else near the water?

Darn, Darn, Darn. We leave on Tuesday for Fort lauderdale for the Maasdam cruise.

We both wish you all the luck in the world in your new city. Thank god we can all stay in touch here and other places.

Happy sailings Brian.

Ed/Jeff

Hey, Brian! I leave on Wednesday for NYC/Transatlantic to England. Hmmmm. :eek: I've got a crazy schedule until then- lunch Tuesday?

e-mail is andrewbryant(underscore)sf(at)yahoo(dot)com

We have to have the ceremonial handing off of the pearls!:D

Andrew

Brian P-

Since it doesn't look like we'll be getting together before you leave, best wishes on your move to VA. I enjoyed meeting you at Martuni's and the emails we traded while you were at Wells. Have a great cruise on the Mercury, and keep in touch! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving down I-280 yesterday afternoon and was surprised to see NCL's The Pride of Aloha in dry dock. Wasn't that once the Sky? If so, we sailed on it from San Juan to San Francisco.

I don't think I've ever seen more than two cruise ships in port on the same day in San Francisco before today. I just came back from a drive along the Embarcadero and Celebrity's Summit, RC's Vision of the Seas, and the Princess Dawn are all in port. NCL's Pride of Aloha is still nearby in dry dock

Oh, it was a red-letter day here in SF!

I was on Mercury and got off that day from my 11 day Alaska cruise - see the review on the HAL or Celebrity boards.

***still in bed w/ flu - wondering if its Norovirus...***

• 4 weeks later...

Personing?

I mean, it is the Gay Men's Chorus booth, isn't it?

;)

I havent done the parade in years since I headed up the Wells Fargo contingent a few years ago.

When and where should we have our cocktail hour?

Andrew - I owe you a lunch!

If you've not already done so, I can highly recommend seeing Leslie Jordan's one man show "Like a Dog on Linoleum". Leslie is one very entertaining and talented man. Go see the show...you'll love it!

http://brotherboy.com/

Saw him on Oosterdam during the RSVP Alaska cruise this past fall - he was hysterical! (made me cry too...)

Also saw a show by the same writer as the movie - Del Shores - in Richmond VA (of all places) this past winter: "Southern Baptist Sissies" If you get a chance, go see it!

My fav. line of his in "Sordid Lives" was he he was talking to his counselor about "reparative therapy" and she says something about her efforts to cure his homosexuality, and he replies, in his Tammy Wynette wig, "Well it AIN'T a' workin' ! " You have to see it, but it's hysterical!:D

Have a great Pride, everyone- sorry I'll be out of town...

Andrew