San Francisco Cruisers

aaerobear

Gary,

FYI Atlantis/Olivia/RSVP all negotiate the food and thats why the charters are "dumbed down" so to speak. Foood is the only thing the cruise lines will even talk about lowering the price on.

One way to get that back to normal is to get on that e-mail circuit and let them know you are paying a premium and feel that the food should also be a part of that premium. With RSVP's new owners it may be the time to start there.

ED

You're right, we are paying a premium for the Atlantis Events cruise over the standard rates/perks Oceania usually provides. You would think, though, that Oceania (and any other cruise line) would be especially sensitive to the gay travel market (given all the media hype about our proclivity to travel - often and expensively - and our above-average spendable income) and take extra efforts to encourage repeat business for gay travelers who may or may not use an Atlantis-Events-type tour company. If there's one truism about gays...we can spread the "dish" quickly. Here's a chance for Oceania to really impress 680 +/- relatively well-heeled gay folks. Let's hope wisdom (and good food) prevails.

I think I'll let nature (or at least Oceania and Atlantis Events) take its course and decide from this cruise whether I want to use either company again. (This is my first experience with both.) My one voice from the wilderness won't make much impact, I'm afraid. I had tentatively planned a second Oceania cruise for late 2007, but will definitely not book it till I've completed the BsAs/Rio trip.

Thanks, again. I think you're a much more seasoned cruise traveler than I and I appreciate your insights.

Gary ;)

San Francisco

Hi, I did one of the Dawn Mexico cruises out of S.F. last April. I went as a single. They had several hosted get-togethers for gay passengers, listed in the daily schedule as Friends of Dorothy. I met some nice people to hang out with. The crew members are gorgeous, and friendly. The passengers were pleasant too. Maybe I'm biased, but I've found that the S.F. based cruises seem to have the most agreeable passengers! Ken

I've read most of the postings re: RSVP, Atlantis, Olivia, etc. but have not seen mention of Pied Piper or other "gay group" cruises. I'm a little reticent to even mention them because they sell out quickly and I don't need more competition for available cabins, but here goes. This is NOT a commercial, and I have no financial interest in the company. In fact, the first thing I'd like to hear from you guys is "Do you know of MORE gay groups besides Pied Piper"!! Let's keep this between us SF-ers, OK?

Here's the deal: Michael and I now prefer gay groups to gay charters because they're just as gay friendly (well, almost), and a lot cheaper. In fact, PP cruises have proven so far to be cheaper than I could find anywhere on the web (Travelocity, CheapTickets, Orbitz, Expedia, as nauseum) except occasionally SkyAuction.com.

I'm making an assumption here, but I think they're cheaper because PP buys up blocks of cabins at a discount (1 cabin free for every 10 purchased perhaps?) and then sells them to us with a smaller markup. They have private parties onboard for group members only, private movie screenings and are just a blast! True, you're sharing the ship with 'breeders', but their groups are always larger than 200 I think. This November's annual "Post Thanksgiving" cruise has over 600 in the group and last year's had about 450! They even schedule a few group shore excursions, and group members all sit together at many tables, usually at the 2nd seating.

We don't hesitate to hold hands all over the ship, dance together in the disco, etc. It was these last two things that made me hesitate at first to do anything less than an all-gay charter. I needn't have worried. Besides, the 3/4 of the ship's travelers who are str8 soon know we're there and we become ambassadors for our community. We've heard so many wonderful comments from str8 cruisers about our group.... what a good time we're having, how they wish they were seated at our dinner table where all the laughter comes from, etc.

We were, truth be told, surprised at how well the group was accepted onboard. I'd suggest you check out their web site (Google it), but PLEASE.. do NOT spread this all over the web. They only book so many cabins and they sometimes go pretty quickly. We've already booked our cabin on the November, 2007, Post-T'giving cruise. I'm considering treating my Nephew and his wife to a cabin on that cruise. PP sometimes has 1 or 2 str8 couples in the group.

Enuf for now. What I'd really like to hear from you guys is whether there are PP competitors. The last time I Googled "gay group cruises" there was really nothing much (a few). I should have looked before I started this treatise. You, too, should look around before committing.

We just thought you should know that you have at least 3 choices: Primarily Str8, Gay Charter and Gay Group.

Cruise on, McDuff!

Joe (of Joe & Michael)

BTW: We've also taken about 5 Str8 cruises and loved them. Best for couples, of course.... not great if you're looking to find a lover!

I hadn't thought much of the other gay charter companies like Pied Piper. I suppose their advertising doesn't reach me, somehow. Anyway, after your msg., I sent Pied Piper an e-mail and discovered they had just "tested" an Oceania cruise and gave it high marks. I expect PP will be offering something soon on Oceania (a cruise line I'm very interested in trying) and I certainly will try to take advantage of that.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Gary

San Francisco

I have taken two Pied Piper cruises and enjoyed them both. My first had 35 guests and the second had about 100. I like the competitive pricing they offer and the fact that you can do as much or a little with the group as you wish. I have found their hosts to be knowledgeable and friendly. I have enjoyed the company of the group members (as well as non group passengers) as they are varied and interesting. I think it is a nice mix. I have enjoyed my experience on RSVP and "regular" cruises as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that some of you are doing the Atlantis So. America cruise so I thought I'd share this with you. This week I had to go to the consulate in S.F. to get our visas for our Oceania cruise on Nov. 25. I suggest going to their office when it opens at 9am. I went in late morning and had to sit for over 2 hours before I could turn in my application. I arrived before 9am today to pick up the visa and got out of there in a few minutes, although there was already a lot of people waiting to begin the process. The website for the consulate is http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_eng.htm cheers, Ken

Hi,

Joe and Michael again. We're aching to make a trip to Fiji in 2007. Never been there, but have read good things and found a private home that rents out their pool house to guests.

Also, a friend of ours recommends Blue Lagoon cruises out of Fiji, so we're strongly considering taking a cruise around the islands and then spending a week at the pool house inland. Anyone taken a Blue Lagoon cruise? Been to Fiji?

This would be a considerably 'risky' thing for us... we know little about any of it and would really appreciate any advice from our fellow SFers.

Anyone been to Fiji? Got any recommendations or warnings, any positive or negative remarks/opinions?

thanks,

Joe & Michael

• 1 month later...

Anyone out there on the Atlantis Buenos Aires to Rio cruise on Oceania in Feb/March 2007? Let's connect beforehand to compare notes and consider private options to the ship-offered port excursions.

I'll do a more formal Roll Call later, but thought I'd get a little headstart now.

Gary

San Francisco

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone on the Serenade, out of SF, in May?

We were on Serenade, however just switched to Mercury April 20 sailing since it's round trip from SF. Love not having to fly to get to/from a ship when possible. We also love the Mercury and could not beat the price for a sky suite. Wish I could sail on both ships!!!

Gary

God, somebody hit me with a brick, the Merc cruise on the 27th is to Vancouver as well, but one way repo for the summer.

Aaero

From my understanding, Mercury's drydock schedule was shortened, and Celebrity recently added the 4/20-4/27 sailing round trip from SF to fill in the gap.

Anyone else from the Bay Area on the Atlantis/Oceania cruise from BsAs to Rio Feb/Mar? Let's connect in advance and plan shore excursions (and, perhaps, get-togethers in BsAs before departure)! :)

Gary

San Francisco

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to sneak over and see her before she sails...I did hear that she's having a Norovirus issue, and that it's the second since she started the World Cruise, so that may delay departure.:(

Ted, if you're interested in meeting up, e-mail me at andrewbryant(underscore)sf(at)yahoo(dot)com. I've got a hair cut at 6:30, but might be able to sneak over late afternoon.

Andrew