Amsterdam or Rotterdam?

iowasue

You don't mention what time you arrive at Schipol. If it is in the a.m. I would stay in Amsterdam and sightsee for the day. You could take the train in Schipol to Centraal Station and stay downtown. Then the next day take the train to Rotterdam and taxi to pier. . If your plan arrives later in the day I would go to the train station in Schipol and head off to Rotterdam.

Since you will have luggage with you, you might opt to book one of the airporthotels. After checking in/dropping off your luggage get one of the many frequent trains into Amsterdam.

Make a canalcruise, maybe visit a museum, or walk around.

The next morning take a train from Schiphol airport to Rotterdam.

Be aware you have to put your luggage into/from the train yourself and watch your belongings at all times.

Or arrange the door to door shuttle (or cab) to Rotterdam, leaving from the airport. By putting in the zipkode of the cruiseterminal (3072AP( you can check the fares.

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/SchipholTravelTaxi.htm

We will be flying into Amsterdam in July 2012 the day before our cruise on HAL's Rotterdam in Rotterdam. Would we be better staying overnight in Amsterdam, or in Rotterdam? What sort of transportation is the easiest?

We just retuned from the Rotterdam, and enjoyed every moment of our cruise. We used the Dutch Advisor, he picked us up at the airport, took us to our hotel, returned the next morning and took us on a tour of the windmills and Delft. Then on to the ship. His wife picked us up after the cruise and took us back to the airport in Amsterdam. We thought these people were wonderful, very easy to work with and reasonable. With all my luggage I would never want to try a take the train.

Hope this helps!! Blessings, Carlotta

Carlotta,

I really like your suggestion about the Dutch Advisor. What hotel did you stay in? This sounds a lot less complicated than taking a train and then figuring out how to get to your hotel. Any other suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

We just retuned from the Rotterdam, and enjoyed every moment of our cruise. We used the Dutch Advisor, he picked us up at the airport, took us to our hotel, returned the next morning and took us on a tour of the windmills and Delft. Then on to the ship. His wife picked us up after the cruise and took us back to the airport in Amsterdam. We thought these people were wonderful, very easy to work with and reasonable. With all my luggage I would never want to try a take the train.

Hope this helps!! Blessings, Carlotta

We also made arrangements with Edwin of The Dutch Travel Advisor. he met us at the airport, delivered us to the Hotel New York in Rotterdam, where we spent an extra day and a half pre cruise ( we cruised with Carlotta and Lyle ), then again met us at the terminal and drove us to our hotel in Amsterdam. the next day he collected us early in the morning and we spent a day touring Holland. This was the icing on the cake for our holiday.

Marilyn

Carlotta,

I really like your suggestion about the Dutch Advisor. What hotel did you stay in? This sounds a lot less complicated than taking a train and then figuring out how to get to your hotel. Any other suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Hi iowasue, We stayed at the Hotel Bilderberg Jan Luken, and enjoyed it very much. we arrived at around 9:30 in the morning, and they were able to give us a room. If rooms weren't ready they would keep the luggage for you. You could them go and see Amsterdam. If I could do it over, I would have the Dutch Advisor [Edwin], take us sight seeing in Amsterdam. We tried to see Amsterdam by ourselves, and it was a very rainey cool day, and of course we were very tired from our overnight flight. So even a half day tour would have been wonderful. He did pick us up the Next day and take us to see windmills and Delft, and then on to Rotterdam. He is a great guide, very informative, and pleasant.

The only tips I would have for you is to book private tours, there are many that are recommended on the boards. The only ship tour we took was the the Castles of New Zealand, in Copenhagen, which was very good. Don't miss the Vasa Museum in Stockholm.

Hi Cave man,

We looked into using the Dutch Advisor and he seemed a little pricey for us. We are considering staying at an airport hotel with free airport shuttle service. I don't feel comfortable traveling on the train with our luggage. But I wouldn't mind taking the train to sight see after we go to the hotel.

We also thought about shipping our luggage to the cruise ship and taking a train to our hotel in either Rotterdam or The Hague.

What are your thoughts on this? Which do you think is cheaper?

Hi Cave man,

We looked into using the Dutch Advisor and he seemed a little pricey for us. We are considering staying at an airport hotel with free airport shuttle service. I don't feel comfortable traveling on the train with our luggage. But I wouldn't mind taking the train to sight see after we go to the hotel.

We also thought about shipping our luggage to the cruise ship and taking a train to our hotel in either Rotterdam or The Hague.

What are your thoughts on this? Which do you think is cheaper?

Hi iowasue,

Did you look up the Dutch Travel Advisor, his name is Edwin. After I looked at other prices, even the ship transferes. He was more reasonable. Staying at an airport hotel seems like a good idea, because you can easily get to central station from there. I am sorry I have no idea how much it would cost to ship your luggage. I hope you can find what works best for you. Blessings, Carlotta

Carlotta,

Yes, I contacted Edwin at the Dutch Advisor. But we thought $245 seemed like a lot to pay for a hotel room. Also, the tour for 4 of us to tour The Hague was going to be $367. Anyway, I want to see if I can find a cheaper airport hotel, take the train to either Rotterdam or The Hague, and then get a transfer to the cruise ship.

We will not be going to Copenhagen. We are doing the Norwegian Fjords and North Cape. I'm not sure I can find many private tours there. Do you know of any?

• 2 weeks later...
Ine, I like your idea about staying at one of the airport hotels and then taking a train into

Amsterdam. I noticed on TripAdvisor there is a photography tour. Do you know anything about this?

I am sorry but donot know that tour.

However Amsterdam is (compared to US cities) rather compact with excellent public transport, so it is easy to see the city.

Also within the city many tours and also canaltours by boat are offered.

Carlotta,

Yes, I contacted Edwin at the Dutch Advisor. But we thought $245 seemed like a lot to pay for a hotel room. Also, the tour for 4 of us to tour The Hague was going to be $367. Anyway, I want to see if I can find a cheaper airport hotel, take the train to either Rotterdam or The Hague, and then get a transfer to the cruise ship.

We will not be going to Copenhagen. We are doing the Norwegian Fjords and North Cape. I'm not sure I can find many private tours there. Do you know of any?

In the past other cruise-critics member (a.o. Hein Bloed) has used this driver Marius. Maybe send him an e-mail and check your plans with him:

http://www.dagtoertaxi.nl/services.html

Archived