Montreal Airport to Cruise Port

About how long will it take to clear immigration, get our luggage, clear customs, get a cab, and get to the port.

We are "scheduled" to arrive shortly after noon on a Thursday. Ship sails at 1700.

If it is going to be tight, any recommendations on how to speed the process? For example, can you "pay" for quicker customs lines, etc.

thanks,

Elsie

About how long will it take to clear immigration, get our luggage, clear customs, get a cab, and get to the port.

We are "scheduled" to arrive shortly after noon on a Thursday. Ship sails at 1700.

If it is going to be tight, any recommendations on how to speed the process? For example, can you "pay" for quicker customs lines, etc.

thanks,

Elsie

You have ample time. Customs and baggage and taxi- allow 1 hour from the time you reach the gate. That's more than enough. An hour tops to the port provided the taxi avoids construction sites on the freeways. Only problem would be if your plane were to be very delayed. You cannot speed the process.

There is A LOT of construction in Montreal these days, and at the airport also. I spent 30 minutes the other day just getting from the airport terminal out to the highway (this normally takes less than 5 minutes!). From there it is normally a 20-30 minute drive to downtown, but this can be longer, again, depending on the traffic congestion.

It will probably take about 1h-1h30 or so to go through customs and get your luggage. If you are flying business class or have some kind of elite status with your airline, your luggage will be tagged priority, which sometimes works and you get your luggage faster. If you have Nexus, you can go through the Nexus lines at immigration, and that will be faster. If you are travelling with someone in a wheelchair, or babies in strollers, the agents will sometimes allow you to cut the immigration line but this is not always the case. Most of the time, the customs line moves pretty well, but there can be long waits here. If you think you need to get through faster, you can ask the agent who will be at the end of the line waving you in, but most of the time, they will not let you go to the fast line (try it if you really need to).

Your ship leaves at 17h, so you probably need to be on board by 3pm at the latest? I think that 3 hours is enough to do this, but with all of the construction going on in town, I really suggest that you move as quickly as possible. Traffic is a real horror these days in Montreal, I try not to go downtown anymore, as it has gotten so bad.

The fall colours are in their full splendour these days, and the weather is unseasonably warm, so it is a great time to visit. Have a great cruise!

The cabbies will take credit cards, but I am not sure about US$. I would just use a CC, but be sure to ask the driver first if he takes them. In the past, there have been cabs that did not have the machine to use credit cards, or maybe the driver just didn`t want to bother? Either way, if I need to use a credit card, I always ask first before getting in the cab.

If you need canadian $$, you can get it at the bank machines inside the airport. I believe there is an ATM on the departures level, near the food court?? (not sure of this) you can also exchange some american $, but the rate is probably high and they charge a change fee too.

I don't know that I would bother stopping for liquor on the way to the ship, especially if time is tight. The traffic downtown and around the port is very bad, and a little side trip could stretch out the trip much longer than you think. If you are determined to try, there is a SAQ (government liquor store) on Place d'armes, corner of St-Jacques. That would be the closest to the cruise port, and kind of on the way.

Archived