Uniworld - Take a Snack from the Buffet

cb222

I have a health problem that requires me to eat a small snack every few hours. Bread, or something similar, but not sweet like pastry.

Would they object if I put some morning or lunch bread in a small plastic bag? Should I ask them first? I don't want to make a scene.

Thanks, cb

I should think it would not be a problem but if you ask they might have to tell you that health regulations say no food goes off the ship. Start now and try some of the snacks that are prepackaged to see if you like any of them like nuts, rasins, crackers etc. Have a supply of those handy for taking on shore in your purse (you'll need them in transit getting to your cruise also). Have a few snack bags in case you do want to take something from the bread basket or the fruit bowl or cookie container which are filled regularly and were always available (candy bowl too but I'm not talking about that:o). Also on a river cruise you are usually close to town and can purchase things in a store or bakery or sit at a cafe to get a snack and a rest at the same time! I think if you handle your diet at home well it will not be difficult to handle your needs on a river cruise.

CB,

I have a similar issue and it's no problem. After breakfast and lunch I would be certain to take a plain roll and after the meal was over, without making a fuss, I would put it in my lap where I had a paper napkin waiting, wrapped it up and put it in my purse. Sometimes after lunch, I would just walk out of the dining room with a plain cookie in my hand by the coffee cart as many others do and wrap it up later. It's not that big a deal and I have done it several times on river and ocean cruises. You'll do fine. The staff couldn't care less.

Have fun!

That's a relief. Thanks for your replies.

I had a bad experience a couple of years back at a Paris hotel. The buffet breakfast lady caught me putting a roll in a plastic bag and loudly scolded, "Madame, this is breakfast."

cb

I have a problem with low blood sugar and travel around the World with my favorite Nature Valley Oats 'n Honey bars. They stay fresh forever in their individual wrapping. It's a lot easier than taking something from the ship in a small baggie. Try to find a breakfast bar that you like.

Sheila

That's a relief. Thanks for your replies.

I had a bad experience a couple of years back at a Paris hotel. The buffet breakfast lady caught me putting a roll in a plastic bag and loudly scolded, "Madame, this is breakfast."

cb

many people that eat in the hotels will pack a lunch from the breakfast buffet so that maybe why

We saw this happen in Greece a group from (insert country) decimated the buffet one person had about half a loaf of bread/meat/cheeses ...making lunch

On top of the huge breakfast they ate so I can see the hotel staff getting upset but I do not see a problem on the river cruise

I take protein bars with me when we travel incase I cannot get food on time for my body ;)

Granola bars are great but for long term traveling they can crumble in their well sealed wrappers or the softer ones can be become flat as pancakes. Some trips we've been away for as long as 4-5 weeks and packing food from the US would not be high my list, nor would I wish to use take up valuable luggage space.

Discretion is the key the word. A small piece of bread, a cookie, who should take offensive at that being taken away from the table? Should anyone object, an explaination regarding low blood sugar issues or whatever should humble and quiet the individual.

So if in the future you see a tall blonde leaving breakfast or lunch with a small piece of bread discretely wrapping it in a paper napkin and placing in her purse, you know who it is!

most of day,,,and can take from there too...

Did have funny experience,,in Russia on Viking tho...was taking lunchmeat from buffet to feed the stray dogs and cats,,and told NOT TO,,,they "just get used to it and hang around"...but I ignored them and no more was said...since they were "hanging around" ANYWAY...made ME feel better,,,I know MY BAD,right?:confused:

Archived