Deck 8 or Deck 5 Star?

agennis

Hello All,

Would really appreciate any help you have to offer. We are currently booked in an obstructed oceanview cabin (8078) on deck 8. It is now $20 total for an unobsructed OV on deck 5 FWD. Has anyone sailed in an obstructed OV on the Star? How obstructed is it? I am thinking maybe I should pay the 20 bucks and move to deck 5.....thoughts?? Thanks!!

We found deck 5 for Panama Passage on the Star to be very noisy, but we were aft of the medical center. Maybe it will be better forward. We were on 8 for Alaska, inside, and were happy with it. Then, again, it was our first cruise and we were very easy to please.

I like deck 8. The location is very convenient. So far the obstructed cabins I obtained still had OK views.

I had a porthole cabin on a lower deck. the location was less convenient. The little porthole gave less light and less view than an obstructed cabin. Then we when a storm came along, we were required to clamp the porthole closed, so it felt like an inside cabin for a couple days.

If that forward deck five cabin is a porthole cabin (IIRC the first few cabins on five have portholes, not sure, so check carefully), I would definitely stay on deck eight and spend the money on drinks. if the cabin on five has a large window, it is a toss up. I 'd still stay on 8, but others would switch.

here is a picture of the forward part of the Star....you can see Deck 4 is most all portholes (the little dark dots)....but there are some forward on deck 5 as well...hard to tell because of the hull paint.

Unless you can figure out that the Deck 5 cabin has a real window, i would not change....for the reasons given above about porthole cabins. Even a bigger problem if you have the queen bed set up....you would need to stand / kneel on the bed to see out the porthole.

NCL_Star-AtAnchor.jpg.a5fc5e2fe358b7a54d8977309803c5ef.jpg

I would choose the obstructed view on deck 8 as well because the area below on deck 7 is a quiet area and deck 9 has all cabins. I wouldn't like to see the waves any where near my cabin window so deck 5 would be out for me. One thing that I would ask though is about any noise from the lifeboats hung on deck 8. You can tell I like quiet can't you.

The degree of obstruction and configuration of the windows vary among cabins on deck 8. You may want to plug your cabin number into the search function to see if anybody has reviewed that cabin or even posted pics. If your number doesn't bring any results in the search function, try the number of the mirror image cabin on the opposite side of the ship.

Archived