Delta fee waiver for illness or death question

World Gallery

We are trying to figure out the best way to go in regards to travel insurance. Our trip is expensive because it is the longest trip we have taken so the insurance is a lot. I am trying to cut back.

I found out today from Delta that they waive the changing fee of $250 for death or illness in the family. We are 7 people so that is $1750. We would rebook.

Has anyone use this free service? What kind of documentation is needed?

Also, has anyone deducted the amount of the flights for travel insurance rates because of the fee waiver policy?

I would not deduct the amount from your policy, unless you are confident you won't need to cancel your trip for some other covered reason. There are lots of reasons to cancel a cruise besides a death or illness in the family.

Also, I've never heard of this policy by Delta; is this in their Contract of Carriage? If not, all bets are off as to if they'll honor this when it's time to claim; maybe they will, maybe they won't. I thought that Delta, like most carriers, suggest you take out travel insurance to cover things like cancellation due to illness.

We are trying to figure out the best way to go in regards to travel insurance. Our trip is expensive because it is the longest trip we have taken so the insurance is a lot. I am trying to cut back.

I found out today from Delta that they waive the changing fee of $250 for death or illness in the family. We are 7 people so that is $1750. We would rebook.

Has anyone use this free service? What kind of documentation is needed?

Also, has anyone deducted the amount of the flights for travel insurance rates because of the fee waiver policy?

Be aware that if you need coverage for a pre-existing medical condition many insurers require that you insure those air tickets. For example, this is from Travel Guard:

"The Insurer will waive this exclusion if the Insured

meets the following conditions: 1. You purchase the program

within 15 days of making the initial Trip payment. Day one is the

date the initial Trip payment is received; 2. The amount of Trip

Cancellation coverage purchased at that time equals the full cost

of all pre-paid non-refundable trip arrangements."

So if you don't insure the air tickets you're not eligible for the waiver, which may or may not be important to you.

With other insurers they don't care how much of your trip cost you insure and will still cover you for pre-existing medical conditions. Be sure you know how the insurer you end up choosing handles this.

Also, I've never heard of this policy by Delta; is this in their Contract of Carriage? If not, all bets are off as to if they'll honor this when it's time to claim; maybe they will, maybe they won't. I thought that Delta, like most carriers, suggest you take out travel insurance to cover things like cancellation due to illness.

I don't see this in their CoC. OP - don't rely on what a phone agent tells you. Read the fare rules for your ticket and the CoC. I see they will allow a refund upon the death of a passenger, traveling companion or immediate family member, but I find nothing about illness.

All I found:

Exception: The death of the passenger, immediate family member, or traveling companion. In this case, you will be required to forward a copy of the death certificate to the Passenger Refunds Department mailing address.

Archived