Weight Watchers Point System anyone?

cruising mickey

I'm very happy today that I've made a mini goal today of being 200 lbs or less by my birthday! :D Lost 2 lbs this week and started walking using the Map My Walk app on my android phone.

I have no problem with you joining in, this isn't an official WW sponsored thread. You just have to want to lose weight and love cruising.

I did the old points program 13 years ago and now I'm doing the 360 points plus. I'm doing okay with the changes. I don't really notice items being more points unless I see them side by side online. Some of the foods I used to eat are not available here now anyways; like Boca Burgers. I'm not a huge fruit eater, but I'm trying since they're now free.

Happy Birthday Kerri. And congrats on reaching a mini goal. Each pound puts us closer to the one we want to be.

Nikki

Thanks for the welcomes! I don't mind being one of only two men in the group. Looking forward to chatting with everyone.

I'm done eating for today and have 10 points left. I can't seem to get a clear answer to my question of whether or not thats allowed. Do you have to use all your points every day or is it ok to be left with some points? Thanks.

Thanks for the welcomes! I don't mind being one of only two men in the group. Looking forward to chatting with everyone.

I'm done eating for today and have 10 points left. I can't seem to get a clear answer to my question of whether or not thats allowed. Do you have to use all your points every day or is it ok to be left with some points? Thanks.

The answer is that it's OK occasionally but not every day. Following the recommended levels for the 8 healthy guide lines is more important than actual points eaten and if followed, should put you close to your daily number.

Cruising to paradise,

I have found the books and yup, on ebay. Even got the calculator which I didn't have before. I appreciate your input. At least I'm not the only one it didn't work for. I'm not saying PPlus is bad, but just not for me. Looking forward to the support from this group.

Mike,

I've been told the same, use your points. I was also told not to do too many zero point foods, to the point of having your regular points left. They may be zero points but they are still calories. Also WW mentioned that if you don't use the points, your body thinks it's being starved and will go into starvation mode. Hope that helps.

Thanks.

I think that I am going to look for my old WW stuff. I am sure that I have the sliding calculator around here somewhere. Perhaps that is what I need to help me make a better start on my own. As for eating all daily points, I sometimes leave a few if I know that I will be inclined to overdue it in a couple of days. Even with the weekly allowance because if I start with those points I seem to gain. By tweaking points- less a couple of days and more for a day- my body doesn't seem to know what is coming and it works better for me.

Nikki

Cruising to paradise,

I have found the books and yup, on ebay. Even got the calculator which I didn't have before. I appreciate your input. At least I'm not the only one it didn't work for. I'm not saying PPlus is bad, but just not for me. Looking forward to the support from this group.

Mike,

I've been told the same, use your points. I was also told not to do too many zero point foods, to the point of having your regular points left. They may be zero points but they are still calories. Also WW mentioned that if you don't use the points, your body thinks it's being starved and will go into starvation mode. Hope that helps.

Thanks.

I'm glad you found a way of doing WW that works for you. There are members still doing selections and exchanges and probably a few still eating liver once a week.

I worked for WW from 2004-the end of last year and learned a lot from the staff training

Each time the program is changed in a major way (like the introduction of Points Plus) the change is based on the latest science re weight loss. Points Plus made fruit a zero point item because NOBODY gains weight from eating fruit in reasonable portions and eliminated calories as the basis for point calculation.because there was a proliferation of really awful food choices being made based on calorie count (100 calorie snacks, et al)

If you eat following the 9 healthy guidelines and concentrate on power foods, you will come close to using your daily target fairly easily. If you do that it is NO problem having a few unspent points.

And, I need to mention that that starvation mode idea is a myth and, yes it was promulgated by WW staff for a long time until its falseness was carefully explained.

I wish all of you luck on this journey

Thanks for the tips. Tomorrow will be a week since I first started tracking. Haven't had the first week progress I was hoping for, but I'll live.

Another question for those of you who are knowledgeable about weight loss and such...what about diet soda? I drink an absolute ton of Diet Pepsi. I know its not necessarily good for me but is it sabotaging my weight loss goals? I realize it would be wise to cut it out and see what happens, but so far I haven't been able to convince myself thats the way to go. Any advice appreciated as always.

Aspartame and caffeine has been linked to slowing down metabolism = slower weight / fat loss

So if you can't kick the soda habit , try going for a soda without caffeine and/ aspartame .

Drink decaf instead if a coffee addict .

Good luck guys !

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Aspartame and caffeine has been linked to slowing down metabolism = slower weight / fat loss

So if you can't kick the soda habit , try going for a soda without caffeine and/ aspartame .

Drink decaf instead if a coffee addict .

Good luck guys !

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

May be true but since this thread is about WW, there is no such prohibition on the WW program. Soda, if you have to have it, (water is better) with ANY non-sugar sweetener is way better than soda with sugar or corn syrup.

As for coffee, WW prior to points plus allowed you to only count 2 glasses of caffeine coffee toward your daily water target. Points plus eliiminated that so any coffee counts as a liquid.

May be true but since this thread is about WW, there is no such prohibition on the WW program. Soda, if you have to have it, (water is better) with ANY non-sugar sweetener is way better than soda with sugar or corn syrup.

As for coffee, WW prior to points plus allowed you to only count 2 glasses of caffeine coffee toward your daily water target. Points plus eliiminated that so any coffee counts as a liquid.

Yes fully aware this is a WW thread ,

But just because you are allowed it , doesn't necessarily mean that you should have it ....simple .... If you want to speed up your metabolism and increase your fat and weight loss cut out sweeteners & caffeine.

weighed in last night ----- 6.6lbs down! I'm thrilled! That was a great motivator for the week to come because I know it's working. :)

That is a great result. I am so pleased for you.

Nikki

Yes fully aware this is a WW thread ,

But just because you are allowed it , doesn't necessarily mean that you should have it ....simple .... If you want to speed up your metabolism and increase your fat and weight loss cut out sweeteners & caffeine.

Here is where we'll agree to disagree. The WW program is about a lifetime change in.the way we eat and live in order to live a healthier and more active life style without deprivation that produces small steady weight losses (average a pound a week or so) to eventually get to a goal weight and then maintain that weight for the long term. It is not and really never has been about rapid weight loss, giving up carbs, glutens, aspartame caffeine or anything in order to achieve a quick fix.

That is what diets are for and there are thousands of those things out there. You go on it, lose weight fast and then, because they are full of deprivation, you go off it and generally gain it back and more.

I have followed the evolving Weight Watchers program for 26 years now and reached goal for the final time in 2004 and have maintained goal for the 8+ years since.

Maybe giving up stuff works for you.and if it does, God Bless.

Here is where we'll agree to disagree. The WW program is about a lifetime change in.the way we eat and live in order to live a healthier and more active life style without deprivation that produces small steady weight losses (average a pound a week or so) to eventually get to a goal weight and then maintain that weight for the long term. It is not and really never has been about rapid weight loss, giving up carbs, glutens, aspartame caffeine or anything in order to achieve a quick fix.

That is what diets are for and there are thousands of those things out there. You go on it, lose weight fast and then, because they are full of deprivation, you go off it and generally gain it back and more.

I have followed the evolving Weight Watchers program for 26 years now and reached goal for the final time in 2004 and have maintained goal for the 8+ years since.

Maybe giving up stuff works for you.and if it does, God Bless.

I wasn't talking about a quick fix

I totally agree

Giving up caffeine etc is a permanent fix not a quick fix

It's bad for you . So give it up simple

Well done on eight years that's awesome x

Hello everyone,

I recently went back to WW (back 6 wks) and haven't been able to read through all the threads.

I am going on 12 day cruise in Nov and hoping for advice on how people manage the cruise. Any advice for someone who wants to try to maintain during the cruise? My travel companion is in a wheelchair which I push so taking the stairs will have to be planned exercise vs. functional.

Thanks.

Way to go eh24fan. Happy for your loss.

Great question katrina915. I'm going on in Jan and will be having issues with the food part. Smart food choices sound easy, but when it's in front of me, free and in abundance, much harder. I'd love to also see some suggestions/tips as well.

As far as giving up soda, caffeine, etc., yes it's a good idea, but what I like about WW is that you can keep what is really important to you and make adjustments as needed. As an example, I love, love Snickers. High points value. So when I was going to WW I purchased their chocolate caramel treats. I would have 1 (only 1) when I craved a Snickers. 1 point vs 8 or 10, smart choice. I've learned to eat Laughing Cow cheese instead of regular cheese and again smart choice. I always feel that if I am deprived of something I want it more. I'm sure many relate. So if I get a craving, I substitute or just give in and adjust the rest of my points as necessary.

I did give up soda a year ago last May and haven't had any since. Had nothing to do with WW. I was heading to Italy for a 5 week study abroad program and thought now is the time. I bought my last one in the ATL airport and when it was done, that was it. I don't drink coffee as it makes my stomach turn, so no problem there. I do try to stay away from the artificial sweeteners but I tire of plain tea and water. I also need a caffeine fix once in a while and I can get that at no calories. I am older and my metabolism is slowing down so I really don't worry about the sweeteners doing that for me. Kind of just goes with getting older anyway.

Happy with WI today, down 4 lbs. I lost the 3 I had gained last week, and 1 more for good measure. Such a great feeling when the scale gives good news. I'm at 41 lbs in 4 1/2 months, which I'm thrilled with. February cruise, here I come!

Great question katrina915. I'm going on in Jan and will be having issues with the food part. Smart food choices sound easy, but when it's in front of me, free and in abundance, much harder. I'd love to also see some suggestions/tips as well.

Ok, I will start. The MOST important thing for me is to make committment to get weighed when I return from cruise and start with a clean slate and no guilt.

I need to watch stress since I am traveling with elderly father in wheelchair and it can get stressful and cause emotional eating. I need to plan time out for me like reading or walking on my own. Try to get exercise in to make up for food.

I am thinking of trying to eat simply feeling foods as much as possible, but not count points. Just listen to my body for a change which will help me in the long run and more realistic with port intensive all day excursions. I want to try other foods but within reason and also have some desserts (I may limit these since sugar seems to make me crave more sugar).

Maybe eat something before going to MDR. Fruit or other healthy snack. And ask for dessert for traveling companion to go once in awhile instead of sitting there while everyone eats theirs.

Any one else have ideas?