Panama Canal Question

ackieboy

Hi,

We are getting ready for our first Panama Canal Transit on the Infinity at the end of next month. I went to my doctor for a physical yesterday and I was telling him about my upcoming trip and he asked me if there are any recommend vaccinations or health precautions for the areas we will be visiting. I said I did not think so, but I thought I would pose the question here as to whether anyone has any information on this. We are on the 10/28 sailing. I would appreciate any information that anyone could provide. Thanks in advance.

Dean

We are getting ready for our first Panama Canal Transit on the Infinity at the end of next month. I went to my doctor for a physical yesterday and I was telling him about my upcoming trip and he asked me if there are any recommend vaccinations or health precautions for the areas we will be visiting. I said I did not think so, but I thought I would pose the question here as to whether anyone has any information on this.

And asked my Travel Doc the same question in advance of the trip... He said that so long as I had no intent of consorting with the locals in remote areas [i did not!], no special vaccinations would be necessary [not even those I'd previously gotten--Hepatitis A, Typhoid, and Yellow Fever--on a precautionary basis]...

I assume that there is a Canadian counterpart to the US Centers For Disease Control And Prevention [our CDC]... If it's anything like the one for the CDC, their website should provide you with great guidance in terms of your national guidelines [which could, I suppose, differ some from those here in the US]...

It's a terrific itinerary on a very nice ship... Enjoy!

Hi,

We are getting ready for our first Panama Canal Transit on the Infinity at the end of next month. I went to my doctor for a physical yesterday and I was telling him about my upcoming trip and he asked me if there are any recommend vaccinations or health precautions for the areas we will be visiting. I said I did not think so, but I thought I would pose the question here as to whether anyone has any information on this. We are on the 10/28 sailing. I would appreciate any information that anyone could provide. Thanks in advance.

Dean

You might look at the HepA-HepB series.

These are now mandatory childhood vaccines for children in the USA.

When I was a child I don't know that these vaccines existed, so I did not have them.

Since traveling a few weeks in South America every year, I have received the series.

3 doses, taken over 6 months.

So your doctor is asking you for information? Have him check the internet or better yet a travel/health clinic. Try the CDC or WHO. Make sure your regular shots are up to date. Unless you are heading into the jungle your biggest threat is a Noro virus. Wash your hands often :) and enjoy the cruise. The canal transit is interesting and informative.

Hi,

Dean

We belong to an HMO and they have a travel department that goes over your immunizations with you and makes recommendations based on the areas you are stopping. I ended up getting a HEP B, HAV and Typhoid shots for a Caribbean trip because they recommended it. There are also Travel Clinics you could consult...I just Googled my area and found a few of them....one had their pricing on their page. They are not cheap, but they are a lot easier. My friend took a trip to the Holy Land and got her innoculations way quicker than I did. I only paid one co-pay though. Others may not agree with me, but I personally think it's worth the consult.

Hi,

Dean

Hi, we are on that cruise also. Come join us on the Roll Call discussion.

Archived