Bringing wine onboard

JB8704

I know this is a topic that is discussed a lot and I tried searching before I posted but I find conflicting information and most of it is a few years old.

I was wondering how many bottles each person can bring on, and also, if we drink it in our room are we charged a corkage fee? Any tips anyone can give me are appreciated!

Thanks,

Julie

Hello, each Adult can bring one bottle of wine or champagne. You will not be charged to drink it in your room, only in the MDR. We have also got by with 2 bottles each in our carry ons. I guess they see two bottles and just assume it's for a couple. They also offer a great wine package to purchase when you board. Hope this helps!

from Carnival FAQ's http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=beverage

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be available for collection onboard in a designated location on the morning of debarkation. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Hello, each Adult can bring one bottle of wine or champagne. You will not be charged to drink it in your room, only in the MDR. We have also got by with 2 bottles each in our carry ons. I guess they see two bottles and just assume it's for a couple. They also offer a great wine package to purchase when you board. Hope this helps!

We've always just used the wine glasses in the room, poured the wine there, then take the glass of wine to dinner with us. No corkage fee that way. We always leave the steward a note that we have the glasses and not to replace them. We wash them when we return and use them over and over.

We typically pack a box of wine (white) in the checked bag and 1 bottle of red in the carry on. We typically only do red meat 1 or maybe 2 nights on the cruise so don't need a lot of red. We've never had any issue before doing it this way.

I wasn't charged corkage fee either and we had 4 bottles between 4 of us on different nights. I even ran down 30 minutes prior to dinner with warm bottle of white and asked maitre'd to chill. handed him $5 bucks. it was at my table nice and chill.

i don't like the wine packages carnival has. don't think they are that great. If I did one would be basic package because IMO the higher package wines aren't all that great.

I always take a corkscrew. Last cruise I couldn't open the champagne so I asked the stewards to help me. One guy was going to use a corkscrew! The other guy pointed it right at the other man's face about a foot away and almost hit him! I hollered for him to point it elsewhere. I think it was the first time either of them had opened one.

My husband and I brought a bottle of champagne and a bottle of chocolate wine in our carry-ons on our last cruise which was a 5-day. We actually won another bottle of champagne onboard playing the Carnival Quest with two of our tablemates.

We chilled the bottle of champagne that we won and brought it to dinner the next night. We were just going to open it ourselves, but our waiter saw it, brought out 10 champagne glasses, opened the bottle and poured it amongst the 10 people at our table - and charged us nothing!

On the last night of the cruise we still had not opened the original bottle of champagne that we brought onboard and I only drank two small glasses worth of the chocolate wine. We had the best tablemates ever, so we decided to bring both bottles to share at dinner on the last night. The waiter was on top of it... he immediately brought out 10 wine glasses and 10 champagne glasses and walked around the table serving to those that wanted some. And once again we were never charged a fee.

So, even though the policy is to charge a fee, your server may overlook it. Just don't overlook your server's tip when it comes time! :)

Archived