Compare Regent vs Crystal

ctemkg

AWED23,that is really true of all boards. But like all boards, even this one, you will have all sorts of views on a subject. Why? Because we are all individuals; even when we cruise together. :)

Keith

..Sorry Keith but I feel that the Crystal boards are very hostile to any criticism of Crystal....They are quite nice and helpful as long as you are not in any way giving an opinion that is not glowingly favorable of Crystal...That is my experience.......

..Sorry Keith but I feel that the Crystal boards are very hostile to any criticism of Crystal....They are quite nice and helpful as long as you are not in any way giving an opinion that is not glowingly favorable of Crystal...That is my experience.......

I've seen the same complaint on so many boards including Seabourn, Silversea, this board, and a wide range of boards. I think you noticed it more because you didn't care for your cruise.

It's really not surprising that there will be push back when this happens because usually the vast majority of passengers who regularly post on any of the board (including this one) prefer that particular cruise line. The reality though is even when that happens if you pull back for a second and read how many people have pushed back it is even a small percentage of those who post to the board. The more balanced the write ups the last push back. There are also ways and ways to write a review and to make points (even lots of ones that are not stellar) but this can be done tactfully and constructively. Same is true for any situation.

No different than other topics that seem to bring out a lot of emotion on boards. I can name five to ten topics and can predict the outcome no matter whether it is on a mass market board or a luxury board. Why because in the end we are all people, often thinking that there is one view only (their own) and there is a lot of diversity on all boards.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

It's not so much a factor of any particular board that its posters are intolerant of criticism of their preferred line, it's a factor of CC in general. Some people take this so seriously that it's like a knife in the stomach when someone says something critical. In the end it's just a cruise line. Many are great. None are perfect. Many fill a variety of needs. None fills everyones'.

Your post to Keith was real class, Not!!!

Why don't you stop beating a dead horse and realize that there are different strokes for different folks.

Some of us like your ship and some of us don't. Why not leave it at that instead of bringing personalities into the fray.

Crystal is lovely in its high end finishings, but after a while it seems like corporate blandness. Was surprised a few weeks later when I stayed at the Hyatt Monterey in California to see almost the exact same color scheme and decor - lovely, but ....... there was little unique or signature about it. Crystal Symphony dining has both high and low points. Prego was just plain awful and Nobu vastly improved from our first experience.

Breakfasts and breads not that great, though the buffet looks sumptuous -not much that is really all that good. Lunch in the outdoor grill has some good choices, but long waits in line take the fun out of that. Dinner can be good to very good, but never great. Cheese sommelier was more hype that did not deliver. Who cares if you can have caviar every night when it is such poor tinned quality that even once was too much. That sort of thing - more show than real depth or discernment.

I personally found the "service" cloying and intrusive - don't like everyone trying to remember my name and going out of their way to greet me personally every time I make a move. Library was very small. Lectures were of little interest and shore excursions more shopping than cultural explorations. Cabins are small and not well laid out with a sliding door closet by the bed, which only one person can access at one time for one end only. Nuisance.

No real dressing room except the cramped bathroom and that is ridiculously small for a luxury ship, but at least they replaced the protruding and dangerous glass salad bowl sinks with opaque plastic ones that don't stick out into the shallow space so much. However, for a short cruise there is enough space for two people but not sure how I would like the lack of storage space for a longer cruise.

Okay, those are the weak points but still overall, it is a very lovely ship, the food is a cut above but unless the price is exceptional I think there are some fundamental drawbacks when comparing Crystal among other luxury lines. And even some mainstream lines. I would want a lot more for the premium prices. Disclosure: ours was a bargain rate and I would take it again, but personally not be willing to pay regular prices for the "Crystal Difference".

Crystal is lovely in its high end finishings, but after a while it seems like corporate blandness. Was surprised a few weeks later when I stayed at the Hyatt Monterey in California to see almost the exact same color scheme and decor - lovely, but ....... there was little unique or signature about it. Crystal Symphony dining has both high and low points. Prego was just plain awful and Nobu vastly improved from our first experience.

Breakfasts and breads not that great, though the buffet looks sumptuous -not much that is really all that good. Lunch in the outdoor grill has some good choices, but long waits in line take the fun out of that. Dinner can be good to very good, but never great. Cheese sommelier was more hype that did not deliver. Who cares if you can have caviar every night when it is such poor tinned quality that even once was too much. That sort of thing - more show than real depth or discernment.

I personally found the "service" cloying and intrusive - don't like everyone trying to remember my name and going out of their way to greet me personally every time I make a move. Library was very small. Lectures were of little interest and shore excursions more shopping than cultural explorations. Cabins are small and not well laid out with a sliding door closet by the bed, which only one person can access at one time for one end only. Nuisance.

No real dressing room except the cramped bathroom and that is ridiculously small for a luxury ship, but at least they replaced the protruding and dangerous glass salad bowl sinks with opaque plastic ones that don't stick out into the shallow space so much. However, for a short cruise there is enough space for two people but not sure how I would like the lack of storage space for a longer cruise.

Okay, those are the weak points but still overall, it is a very lovely ship, the food is a cut above but unless the price is exceptional I think there are some fundamental drawbacks when comparing Crystal among other luxury lines. And even some mainstream lines. I would want a lot more for the premium prices. Disclosure: ours was a bargain rate and I would take it again, but personally not be willing to pay regular prices for the "Crystal Difference".

Your critique almost totally mirrors mine that I made after sailing on the Symphony the one and only time last year, only you said it better.

Prego was really as bad as you said...Nobu not too bad. You are correct about the cheese presentation.

Not only was the library small, but the idea of having a full time librarian along with limited hours was strange. Do they think someone wants to steal a book?

For us, the service was cloying indeed...if I heard "my pleasure" one more time, I would have jumped overboard.

You are correct about the cabin layout...closet is poorly designed and the bathroom tiny and not practical. Ours still had the protruding sinks.

Perhaps those who are satisfied book the higher category penthouse suites where the layout may be better, but the price is considerably higher as well.

The lighting in the cabin was not designed for reading and the seating was most uncomfortable.

When we sailed, they said they only had one 2 seat table available and put us directly in front of the service stand at the dining room entrance. They tried to soothe us by telling us that it was a fun table because we could watch all the people coming in...help! The parade was interesting, however.

Certainly not for us..

SwissMyst, I particularly enjoyed your comment in regards to the breads and baked goods...My comment to my wife at our very first dinner on Crystal this year......The breads do not compare to Regent or Holland America. :)Both You and responder have the same take on the famous "Perfect Crystal service" as I. Far too intrusive for my taste...Too me, really good service is intuitive and need not be asked for. It should always be prompt, polite and unobtrusive. Please do not ask me how my meal is when my mouth is full !!!.....Thank you SwissMyst;)

Edited by AWED23

I've seen the same complaint on so many boards including Seabourn, Silversea, this board, and a wide range of boards. I think you noticed it more because you didn't care for your cruise.

It's really not surprising that there will be push back when this happens because usually the vast majority of passengers who regularly post on any of the board (including this one) prefer that particular cruise line. The reality though is even when that happens if you pull back for a second and read how many people have pushed back it is even a small percentage of those who post to the board. The more balanced the write ups the last push back. There are also ways and ways to write a review and to make points (even lots of ones that are not stellar) but this can be done tactfully and constructively. Same is true for any situation.

No different than other topics that seem to bring out a lot of emotion on boards. I can name five to ten topics and can predict the outcome no matter whether it is on a mass market board or a luxury board. Why because in the end we are all people, often thinking that there is one view only (their own) and there is a lot of diversity on all boards.

Keith

Sadly, I have found many if not I would dare say most cruisers nowadays are as "politically polarized" to their favorite line as so many Americans are now in their politics and that anyone disagreeing with them makes you the "enemy!"

Sad!

Worldspan

129 cruises strong

Edited by worldspan

+1!

sadly, i have found many if not i would dare say most cruisers nowadays are as "politically polarized" to their favorite line as so many americans are now in their politics and that anyone disagreeing with them makes you the "enemy!"

sad!

Worldspan

129 cruises strong

Many Regent customers also sail other cruise lines (as I am sure is true of Crystal) so I find myself disagreeing with the last two statements. Crystal has, IMO, been dissimiliar to other luxury cruise lines. While Silversea, Seabourn and Regent have, in recent years, been inclusive of alcoholic beverages and tipping, Crystal has not. Crystal also has larger ships and a different type of open seating than SS, SB and Regent. I find the above statement "politically polarized" insulting.

Edited by Travelcat2

Many Regent customers also sail other cruise lines (as I am sure is true of Crystal) so I find myself disagreeing with the last two statements. Crystal has, IMO, been dissimiliar to other luxury cruise lines. While Silversea, Seabourn and Regent have, in recent years, been inclusive of alcoholic beverages and tipping, Crystal has not. Crystal also has larger ships and a different type of open seating than SS, SB and Regent. I find the above statement "politically polarized" insulting to the global posters that contribute to CruiseCritic.
.:)....When you are correct you are correct... REGENT ROCKS !!! And I have sailed other lines this year...And will sail on another different line next January...But first I get to return to the Marina for a great cruise from Venice to Fort Lauderdale.:cool:

.:)....When you are correct you are correct... REGENT ROCKS !!! And I have sailed other lines this year...And will sail on another different line next January...But first I get to return to the Marina for a great cruise from Venice to Fort Lauderdale.:cool:

Rob...

I hope you mean Mariner...if not, I'll miss you.;)

Many Regent customers also sail other cruise lines (as I am sure is true of Crystal) so I find myself disagreeing with the last two statements. Crystal has, IMO, been dissimiliar to other luxury cruise lines. While Silversea, Seabourn and Regent have, in recent years, been inclusive of alcoholic beverages and tipping, Crystal has not. Crystal also has larger ships and a different type of open seating than SS, SB and Regent. I find the above statement "politically polarized" insulting.

TC2

Quite prolific...you said it well.

Thanks..

Crystal ships are never REALLY full because of the great single supplement prices. Crystal introduced the as you wish which was worth $2000.00 not to mention what each travel agent offered their clients with onboard credits. They will soon be all inclusive.

Our combined credits were $3000.00. We can't drink that much or buy anything in the shops that we don't already have in our closet. We put the $$$ to work with private tours. No bus for us.

Open dining was not a problem. We just walked in and were seated without reservations

And just last week they came out with a $700 price reduction....Yeah Crystal doin great! BUT REGENT ROCKS !!!

You are not kidding me it ROCKS & VIBRATES. You do not need quarters for the vibration experience.:p

It's not doin.....it is DOING GREAT.

Edited by Suite Travels

Sheesh, I sure hope the OP ctgmkg posted this same inquiry on the Crystal board to hear the "other side of the story"! Amazing these fiery replies! It's a vacation!

I'm glad to see Keith1010 here. Have lurked on the Crystal board from time to time for years and you would never find a more helpful or experienced poster, and there are others there as well who don't bash other lines.

Really, the best way to promote the strength of any line is not to do it by beating DOWN another. Keith never beats down other lines. I've never been on Crystal, so I cannot give any opinion as to their ships. But there is a reason they gather the loyalty from past cruisers to consistenly rank so high in any poll out there.

This thread has just disintigrated to the point where yes, it seems like "political polarization" , and is going nowhere.

Edited by jhp

Amazing these fiery replies! It's a vacation!

I kept pulling my fingers from the keyboard, hoping upon hope that someone would say just what you said, jhp!

Enough. Really. Miles, get the heck to your room (or suite). You are in time-out in my book until at least early 2012. Stop it!

Everyone in the world should be so lucky to have the luxury of engaging in such an argument.

Enough. I'm starting to get embarrassed for everyone.

Edited by mimito4

IMO, what really needs to be repeated is that they rarely sail full (regardless of single supplements). JHP: as I said previously, I take the term "political polarization" as an insult (to my country -- the last three words are an addition to my previous post). Come on guys, all opinions are welcome on CC. Trying to stop freedom of expression (other than what is against CC policies) is not right -- not on any level.