Is it Live or is it Memorex?- Allure of the Seas Review September 18-25 with Pics!

nenner1

Ron,

Thanks for the detailed parking info. We'll definitely have to give it some thought now. That is a nice savings.

It is just dh and myself and we have sailed out of Port Everglades (but not at the new Oasis/Allure garage) and Port Canaveral many times. I guess we are in the minority but we never drop off luggage. We get there early, park in the garage and roll the luggage to the terminal where we hand it over and tip. Coming back we don't deal with porters, we roll the luggage directly to the car. Maybe this will be different cause the ship is so big?

Can't wait for the rest of the report - here and at the DIS! :D

Ron,

Thanks for the detailed parking info. We'll definitely have to give it some thought now. That is a nice savings.

It is just dh and myself and we have sailed out of Port Everglades (but not at the new Oasis/Allure garage) and Port Canaveral many times. I guess we are in the minority but we never drop off luggage. We get there early, park in the garage and roll the luggage to the terminal where we hand it over and tip. Coming back we don't deal with porters, we roll the luggage directly to the car. Maybe this will be different cause the ship is so big?

It's probably much easier to do when it's only 2 of you. Much less luggage to deal with! We'll easily have 8-10 bags to check and each of us will have a carry-on as well. I also always have an extremely heavy carry-on with about 2 cases of coke zero.;) For us it was definitely worth it!

Ron

Aww...I was loving your review and then I got to page 6 or 7 and the photos were broken. :-(

Keep going past that part, I fixed them and posted that whole part again- everything past that point is fine. :)

I'm working on day 7 RIGHT NOW!!!! :D

Thanks for the detailed review - in the military, we call it an "after action report" and I must say it was a great AAR! Learned a lot, took many notes and now will have to do some more research. Liked knowing about the Park n Go option - will probably use it as it makes sense with the shuttle giving direct service versus schlepping bags over the concrete and through the asphalt. We have booked our Allure cruise for 26 Feb 2012. We want to experience the big ship and your review and photos certainly have heightened our anticipation! Thanks again. JanO

Hooray for an update! I was beginning to worry about you! We set sail next weekend! I hope you are able to finish your review before that!!! :-D

I'm so sorry I didn't make it! I know you're having a BLAST right about now though!:)

Yay!! I was hoping to see an update. Poor Justin needed a bigger construction worker costume! lol

You betcha he did! LMAO- he was funny!:D

Oh say it isn't so... just one more day left???

Whatever will I do to pass the time until my cruise!!!:(

Wwll, I'm trying to stretch it out...or something like that...LOL!;)

That 70's party looks like fun and Ken Rush certainly looks entertaining.

He was fun, we liked him just fine, I know opinions on here of him are quite polarized.

Your Rising Tide drink looks so pretty....I love a pretty drink;) was it good and do you happen to know what is in it?? Thanks!

Oh it was delicious too! I actually had it finished by the time we reached the top!!

Gosh, I don't know what's in it and I thought it would be easy to find online. It is definitely a vodka based drink- like a fruity martini. I think it was raspberry- and probably made with blue curacao. It was light and berry, fruity. Hope that helps a little bit! :)

Just curious, a question for anyone. With all the issues some of the folks on these boards have with gratuities, do you get charged the 15% for a glass of wine from the "self serve" wine station?

LOL, you know I don't know, we didn't use it. I wouldn't be surprised.....:rolleyes:

I love this review. Looks like your family had a FANtastic time. I can't wait to go on Oasis or Allure. Hoping to book very soon

Thank you, we sure did! BOOK!!! You won't regret it!!! :D

Thanks for the answers. Less than a week from our Allure cruise!

You're welcome' date=' I'll bet you're having a LOT of fun right about now!!! :cool:

Thank you Nenner! The map you provided to watch Oasis on Saturday is beyond the call of duty, girl...thanks!

You're welcome, I hope it makes sense and you find the spot easily! Just keep driving, just keep driving...lol!

Your review has been super helpful for my own trip planning and for that I thank you kindly. Your pictures are a nice touch, too.

BTW, my absolute favorite pic so far HAS to be the one on your Capt Alan trip of everyone smiling after their mud bath but in the background is your little one gleefully doing her own thing. That's just precious! :)

Aww, thank you! :) I agree!!!

Are the wine dispensers outside of the MDR only before dinner seatings or other times during the day? I've seen them before at a restaurant andthey are awesome.

Suzanne

Good question...I do know they are in the lobby of each floor's dining room (3,4, and 5) and I also know that at some times of the day they can close the doors completely blocking access to the entire entryway/lobby and entrance itself. Of course in the morning and at lunch for Brasserie 30 Deck 4 is open, and anytime after about 5 all three levels are open. Don't know if the mahcines are in service during those times, I would assume so though! :cool:

They are there all the time but I can't remember if they are before or after the doors. I think before. On my sailing they weren't working properly so we only tried once and never again. We had to get a head waiter so they could have the charge removed from our seapass acct.

Yeah.....that's what I would be concerned with. :eek:

Nenner1, we're patiently waiting for an update. Well, maybe not so patiently. But we need a fix!

The wait was long I know but I am ready to post more, coming right up!:)

I can't wait to read this whole review. I'll be on her in Oct. of next year, and I can't wait! :D

I'm just about to post some good stuff from Day 7 to help tide you over. I ABSOLUTELY promise I'll get done before your cruise....LOL! :p

Enjoying the review....one thing about Quest. IMHO Quest on the larger (Voyager Class and above) are not nearly as good as it is on the smaller ships. On the bigger ships, there is not as much chance for audience interaction as when its in a smaller showroom. I won't give away any details but I highly recommend that you go to Quest on a smaller ship. DW and I have skipped it on every large ship we've gone on since our first experience with it in Studio B

I can see your point, just from pictures I have viewed here on CC. I saw the similar show "Magic Quest" on DCL- while not as racy still the same premise and in quite an intimate environment it was such fun just to even watch!:)

Hope you got some great photos of your family on Formal night; you all looked terrific. Loved that all the ladies were in black and white attire. You must be an awesome Mom.:)

Aww, thank you! :D

Thanks so much for all your hard work in sharing this with us.

I pasted the link on our Roll Call (January 3rd 2012) as we are getting nearer to our sail date and the excitement is building.

Kathy

Thanks so much for sharing Kathy, I'm so glad I can help contribute to the excitement! So looking forward to our next time on Allure and that will probably be in 2013! :p

I am on the cruise with Tomko2 (Kathy) and she is right - - she posted on our Jan 3rd thread - - I am so excited about our trip even more so since reading and seeing your post and pictures!!! Great job and thank you so much for taking the time to do this!! I will be on the Allure with my two nephews, one niece and her boyfriend and when I got home last night I called each of them up to tell hem about your write-up and pictures!!! They were getting excited just listening to me!!! Thank you again for your write-up and pix!!!

Pat

Woo-hoo thanks Pat! I'm so glad it has been useful! The new year and your cruise will be here before you know it!!!! :)

Thanks Nenner, you've left us floating out at sea. ;)

Your review has been fantastic!!

LOL, sorry about that. Your life preserver is about to get tossed to ya in about 5 minutes or so! Stay tuned! :D

Thanks for the photos and the time you spent on this review.

You are so welcome! Thanks for reading it!!! :)

Thanks Nenner and Ron for what is easily the most informative review I have ever read as it relates to me, my family and our upcoming trip on Allure in December.

I shared portions of the review with my wife who felt after hearing about your family, the way you do things and your expereinces that if you had just 2 kids that you would be our twin family.

I have just a few questions that you may be able to answer given your experiences.

1) What sort of activities were offered for the 9 to 11 year olds in AO. Do you know off hand if there were video game systems for this age to play with? My son has been reluctant in the past to play with new kids and video games for an hour a day might be my only way for a small break each day. The think the video arcade might break me financially.

2) I think you said your son was 11 close to 12. Did you consider allowing him to join the older age group? Was this even an option with RCCL?

3) What can you tell me about the kids menu and did you see if it was offered in the speciality restaurants?

4) You noted you parked off site for I think about $7 a day. How tough was it getting back to the lot at the end of the cruise and would you consider the lot somewhat secure.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and taking the time to answer people’s questions. I learned a lot from what you have to say and look forward to seeing everything first hand.

Dan

Thanks so much, great questions Dan!! Ron jumped in with some awesome answers that I echo!:D

Love your review!!! Thank you for taking the time to put it together. Just wondering if Rita's served any flavored margaritas or just plain. Thanks!!!

Yes, they sure did! Here is a copy of the drink menu (courtesy of beyondships.com). I had the strawberry (frozen) and it was delish- but strong. I had read the Pomegranate was delicious too but forgot to try it! :p

mmexican21000x1056.jpg

LOL I'm toiling away. :p Hope to update both today, this one in a matter of minutes!

Thanks for the detailed review - in the military, we call it an "after action report" and I must say it was a great AAR! Learned a lot, took many notes and now will have to do some more research. Liked knowing about the Park n Go option - will probably use it as it makes sense with the shuttle giving direct service versus schlepping bags over the concrete and through the asphalt. We have booked our Allure cruise for 26 Feb 2012. We want to experience the big ship and your review and photos certainly have heightened our anticipation! Thanks again. JanO

Awesome! Thanks so much for reading- LOVE the term AAR! My report is coming waaaaaay after the action but better late than never, right? ;) So glad you find it helpful!! :)

Saturday September 24 – Day 7 – At Sea

The final full day of our cruise has arrived. We awoke way too early, but we had to since we had the Madagascar Character Breakfast scheduled this morning.

At least it doesn’t say SUNDAY yet…..sigh……

Allure9-24119.jpg

We arrived early this time in hopes to avoid the huge lineup out front, and we were successful. Come to find out though, this Character Breakfast was much, much more lightly populated than the Shrek one earlier in the week. Not sure if the Shrek characters are just THAT much more popular or if it was a case of everybody wanting to book the “first” available option or a combo of both. (FYI there was also another Shrek Character Breakfast the day before. Not sure if they do it that way every cruise with 2 Shrek and 1 Madagascar, but that’s how they did it on ours.) Unfortunately at this time there is no way to know prior to the cruise which of the characters will be at that particular breakfast that you book, because they do not seem to follow a set routine from cruise to cruise.

We were seated immediately and right away noticed there were maybe half as many people in attendance this time. It was a much better overall experience- it moved much faster and service was much, much better.

It didn’t take us long to realize our server was Leslie from Jamaica- whose section in MTD we had sat in several nights earlier. We already knew service was going to be good but when we got a pastry plate with PUDDING on it, well does it gets any better than that?!?!?

Allure9-24121.jpg

Pudding for breakfast?!?!? I love you Leslie from Jamaica!

Allure9-24122.jpg

It was technically a Black Forest parfait- part of the chocolate breakfast menu. It was really good too!!!

We had barely been seated and Alex came out, doing his dance:

(Video: Click picture to play)

th_Allure9-24002.jpg

And of course, what else would you have to go with chocolate pudding for breakfast but CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKES!!!

Allure9-24128.jpg

You can see there are quite a few empty tables around. The last breakfast was PACKED full.

Our food was out super fast – and THIS time I got my bacon.

Allure9-24129.jpg

And the halved grilled tomatoes.

Allure9-24131.jpg

The food was similar to last time, pretty good- not great. The waffles were on the soft side and my bacon was soggy. The boys loved the omelets though.

Allure9-24138.jpg

Allure9-24140.jpg

Allure9-24139.jpg

And it was time for Alex!

Allure9-24133.jpg

Allure9-24135.jpg

Oh no, Alex’s dirty little secret- male pattern baldness!

Allure9-24136.jpg

We liked this table location better too. Although we were quite far away from the character dance intros- at least they faced us. And we saw all of the characters in order this time too, not a big deal if you don’t, but it was just easier to keep track of who we had and hadn’t seen and who was where.

It moved so fast that the characters were almost on top of each other…

Allure9-24142.jpg

Literally…..

Allure9-24143.jpg

After Gloria and her wide load let Alex pass, she came to meet us!

Allure9-24145.jpg

Allure9-24147.jpg

Sarah’s hug- aww!

Allure9-24148.jpg

Gloria had a huge crush on Brendan, much to his dismay.

Allure9-24149.jpg

And right behind her was King Julien!

Allure9-24150.jpg

Bad! King Julien! Put my child down!

Allure9-24152.jpg

After breakfast, we strolled through the still mostly empty Promenade. Where is everyone?

Allure9-24161.jpg

Allure9-24157.jpg

And headed up to the pools/Flowriders. Savannah went to the club to hang out with her friends. The boys went surfing, and Sarah and I went to “her place”.

Allure9-24199.jpg

And we were the ONLY ones there for well more than an HOUR!!!

Allure9-24168.jpg

Allure9-24169.jpg

Allure9-24173.jpg

Allure9-24176.jpg

Allure9-24180.jpg

Ok, I know it was quite overcast this day. It was still very warm out, and not raining. Could not fathom where all the crowds were (in bed, maybe?). Suffice it to say we did not have ANY issues with crowds onboard at all and felt that the ship was large enough to distribute everyone quite well.

Even so, this has to be an anomaly….right????

Allure9-24182.jpg

Here is a good look at the Baby Splash Zone- it is this walled off semi-circular area with the two sprayers. We did see Deck Patrol doing an excellent job of keeping the diapered children in and the non-diapered ones out. They were very nice about it, even though we saw a few passengers/parents get upset that they didn’t understand why swim diapers could not go in the main H20 zone. Many did not speak English, or at least tried to use that as an excuse. It didn’t work, BTW.

Allure9-24171.jpg

Allure9-24172.jpg

Allure9-24170.jpg

Sarah almost liked the regular shower as much as the spray/showers in the H20 zone.

Allure9-24174.jpg

Empty chairs everywhere. Empty everything.

Allure9-24175.jpg

A look down into Central Park, also quiet down there.

Allure9-24186.jpg

Allure9-24187.jpg

For those curious, this picture was taken at 11:05 AM !!!!!!

Allure9-24188.jpg

I am beginning to wonder if most of the passengers were left behind in St. Maarten…

Allure9-24194.jpg

Allure9-24190.jpg

Allure9-24192.jpg

See, there is some blue sky peeking out. It wasn’t an ugly day by any means. It was still like 87 degrees out. LOL!

Now, we didn’t realize it at the time, but we were traveling through the outskirts of Tropical Storm Ophelia at that time, so that was the reason for the cloudy skies and the high seas. There was plenty of rocking going on today, as you can see it made taking pictures difficult at times!

Allure9-24195.jpg

Not even a line at the ice cream machine?!?!? GET OUT!

Allure9-24196.jpg

Up close and personal:

Allure9-24197.jpg

This one was strawberry and vanilla- the one Port side had chocolate and vanilla. Wipeout Café (if you can ever catch it open) also has all 3 flavors.

Allure9-24202.jpg

Around 11:20 or so we headed out to collect the kids and go see the DreamWorks Aquatheater Show: Let You Entertain ME! This features the characters from Madagascar!

Allure9-24203.jpg

We arrived about 20-25 minutes early. The center section was already full but plenty of seating in the two flanking sections, even up close.

We chose “our” seats that we had been in for every performance in the Aquatheater so far. And the kids went to the Splash Zone, of course! There were a lot more folks in the Splash Zone for this show than any other show or event we had been there for. And they pretty much got the wettest in this one too.

Allure9-24206.jpg

Stage setup:

Allure9-24207.jpg

Crowd is pretty full!

Allure9-24208.jpg

A few minutes before show time, a staff member and some of the dancers come out and taught everyone a little dance that the audience would be doing during the show. It was cute and fun and definitely helped pass the time as we waited for the show to start!

Allure9-24210.jpg

Allure9-24211.jpg

And then it started!

(Video: Click Picture to Play!)

th_Allure9-24011.jpg

It was a fun show- not as much spectacular diving and stunts as OceanAria (no 10m high dives-just the 3m platform and boards) but still a taste of it.

Allure9-24222.jpg

Allure9-24220.jpg

Allure9-24225.jpg

Allure9-24228.jpg

Allure9-24231.jpg

Allure9-24240.jpg

Alex- glad to see you fixed your comb over!

Allure9-24241.jpg

How those girls managed to keep those swimsuits oh so-snug on their behinds, nary moving a millimeter I’ll never know. Must be a trade secret. Or some really strong double sided tape!

Allure9-24251.jpg

Yikes. I warned you, on Allure you will see many small swimsuits and large parts that should be covered!

Allure9-24260.jpg

So, the premise of the show is King Julien is in control of the water supply and requires entertainment to consider flipping the switch and letting it flow.

Each character, Gloria, Mort, and finally Alex take their turn at influencing King Julien to give it up.

Allure9-24269.jpg

Allure9-24275.jpg

Allure9-24281.jpg

And it’s the big dance number at the end that wins him over. The water flows and a barrage of singing, dancing, flipping, tumbling, and diving, splashing and strong arming ensues.

Here’s the grand finale (spoiler...in case you want to wait to see it onboard)

th_Allure9-24294.jpg

We very much enjoyed the show-especially of course, the kids. But as you can see in the videos a LOT of the adults got into it too. I didn’t even realize that I was dancing along as well until I came home and watched the videos (sorry about that!) I really think this is another one of those don’t miss shows. And we got VERY lucky too…usually this show is performed twice, back to back at noon and 1:30 or so on the last Sea Day (on the Eastern- Western may be different). But due to the high seas and “inclement” weather (it still wasn’t raining) the second showing was first postponed, and eventually cancelled.

There’s still so much to come from our last day onboard including the Flash Mob, a character scramble and more! Stay tuned!

Nennerl:

Great pics and review...I don't think the change in camera stopped the wonderful shots you were able to capture...I have used some of them in mine..

So are all of the Character Breakfasts Free? Since I didn't have any little ones sailing in my cabin I didn't pay much attention to this.

thx so much for taking all the time to do this...hope to sail with you and your wonderful family one day...

I have a couple of videos I'd like to post..can you tell me how you get the pic in the review that we click on to see the video? thx much... :cool:

Edited by ILuvCruisin'