Eurodam - northern europe - August 2012 - family with 2 young children

aquasat

Hi,

We have cruised once with RC in Alaska withouten children (4 and 6 years old in 2012)

We loved cruising alaska, and loved dining each day.

This time we want to go to northern europe, 19 days (norway + baltic) with our 2 children.

In Alaska we had à inside stateroom and for 2 it was perfect.

No we doubt that an inside will do for 4.

So we have 3 options :

Large inside

Ocean view

Verandah (vf5060) just above the liveboats.

We can not afford à suite.

Please advise,

Ollivier

Hi,

We have cruised once with RC in Alaska withouten children (4 and 6 years old in 2012)

We loved cruising alaska, and loved dining each day.

This time we want to go to northern europe, 19 days (norway + baltic) with our 2 children.

In Alaska we had à inside stateroom and for 2 it was perfect.

No we doubt that an inside will do for 4.

So we have 3 options :

Large inside

Ocean view

Verandah (vf5060) just above the liveboats.

We can not afford à suite.

Please advise,

Ollivier

My familiy (DW, DD's 7 and 4) have been cruising for years in various cabins. It all depends on what you are using the cabin for, e.g., a place to sleep and change or as a place to hang out. If it is just to sleep and change I would stick with the inside and spend the saving on outing and tours as port of call in Europe is going to be different and interesting for the kids. If the cost of the an oceanview is not too much more than the inside (say less than $200 for the first 2 passengers), then I might consider an oceanview as it is nice to be able to see the outside before getting out of the cabin.

We will visit most ports on our own.

It will take time to prepare, but i am convinced that we can get most out our port days by preparing each day up front.

THE price difference between verandah and inside is 1.000€ in total.

Depending on the ship, some of the Main deck insides are going to be larger than both an outside and a verandah cabin.

We are sailing on the Eurodam in January with two children in our cabin (3 & 6) and we opted for an inside J on the Main Deck b/c it is much larger than the outside stateroom we had on our Alaska cruise and also much larger and better laid out than the verndah cabins or the outside cabins on the Eurodam. What we sacrifice in a window we make up for double in more space and a better laid-out cabin.

What ship are you thinking about sailing?

ETA: Duh just read the title at the top of the thread. LOL Yes, on the Eurodam an inside "J" will be MUCH larger than the outside or the verandah. If you can't afford the suite, and you can live without the window, I think you would be happy in the J from what I understand from CC members who have sailed in those cabins.

For some pics and reviews, go to Joanie's site. She has some great info on cabins and pics. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Eurodam/index.html

Just wanted to add that we wanted some outdoor space to call our own, so we ended up also renting a Lido Cabana for the week. The cost for 7 days is $199, so that was much less than upgrading to a verandah. And with a vernandah cabin we would have had a much smaller cabin. This way we get the larger J cabin but we also have a space for us to hang out on the Lido deck with the kids. It will also give somewhere for the older ones to hang out while the 3-year old naps in the cabin. Really the best of both worlds as far as we are concerned.

:)

Yes, on the Eurodam an inside "J" will be MUCH larger than the outside or the verandah.

Be careful! It's only the J-category cabins on Main Deck that are larger (also the K-cabins on the same deck). The other J-cabins are not the huge ones.

I did say "main deck" earlier in my post. Yes, only the J's on the Main Deck are the big ones.

Yes, you did. I should have underlined "only" to emphasize that it's the J- and K- cabins only on Main Deck that are huge.

I'm struggling with the same exact issue.

Maybe my kids are weird but they do not fall asleep easily when traveling as they are used to getting themselves to sleep alone in their own, dark, bedrooms. One thing I really dislike about traveling with small children is the sitting quitely in the dark while my child attempts to fall asleep... some nights this process can take an hour. On land, I book one bedroom suites so seperate them off at bedtime. Our last cruise, we had a family view cabin on X Millie, which had pocket door so we could actually seperate the cabin in half at bedtime - loved, loved, loved that cabin.

I am looking to book a cruise on Eurodam. Space wise, I know K or J on main would be perfect, but I'm leaning toward a veranda cabin so I have someplace to hang out, other than the bathroom, while my youngest falls asleep each night!

THX for all the advise.

Looking at our budget we could go for the large inside stateroom + the family retreat cabana.

This could we the best of both worlds, a huge private outside room and a huge inside room. Especially with the fjord cruising the views are stunning. The kids could play in the cabana (they behave well and will not bother the people in other cabanas) and we can have lunch in the cabana.

I really like this.

A negative point is the pool, we can't see the pool from the cabana, but even when we could see it I would never trust my kids alone in the pool (they are to young).

Can you give me a guidline on tipping the cabana staff, we plan a 19 day cruise.

I'm struggling with the same exact issue.

Maybe my kids are weird but they do not fall asleep easily when traveling as they are used to getting themselves to sleep alone in their own, dark, bedrooms. One thing I really dislike about traveling with small children is the sitting quitely in the dark while my child attempts to fall asleep... some nights this process can take an hour. On land, I book one bedroom suites so seperate them off at bedtime. Our last cruise, we had a family view cabin on X Millie, which had pocket door so we could actually seperate the cabin in half at bedtime - loved, loved, loved that cabin.

I am looking to book a cruise on Eurodam. Space wise, I know K or J on main would be perfect, but I'm leaning toward a veranda cabin so I have someplace to hang out, other than the bathroom, while my youngest falls asleep each night!

This has been a problem for us, as well, and I considered the same thing re the verandah. But the room is so much smaller, ultimately we decided we would be happier in every other way with the larger room. Plus I figured the youngest would be constantly getting up and coming over to try and get out there with me if I was hanging there while he tried to go to sleep. It's not like you can leave the verandah door open, KWIM? And it would be hard to hear what's going on in there with the door closed. It would definitely come in handy to have for naps, though, as we could wait until he's asleep and then slip out there. Still not worth the smaller space for us, though, but I would understand it would make it worthwhile for others.

I guess it's the old bathroom standby. ;) I think my husband and I will just take turns with the bedtime duty so that we both have some time "out." No sense in both of us sitting in a dark room by 10:30 every night.

On the other hand, we'll probably both be exhausted and just want to go to sleep with them anyway. That is usually the way it ends up. LOL

After some days of discussing, we discided to do the 7 day norway cruise and leave the baltic cruise for another time. It will be the first family cruise, 19 days will be very long when the kids are bored after the first couple of days.

I' m still not shure if we will rent à cabana, in the caribbean i woud rent it without à doubt. But in norway, the chance of rainday 's is à lot bigger.

I woud love to here the point of view of cc members that cruised norway in summertime.

I woud love to here the point of view of cc members that cruised norway in summertime.

I've cruised Norway in summer probably nine or ten times; the most recent was this past June. It's a gorgeous country!

The weather can be so varible. There are days that are warm and sunny. You can swim in an outdoor pool, wear shorts and t-tops, bask in the long, long days. Then, other times it can be miserably cold and wet. On one shore excursion, high up in the mountains, it did snow once. But only that once.

If you have a balcony, you want one that's covered to protect from the rain and wind. If you don't, then you want to find a place to get comfortable on deck that's sheltered.

This is a more relaxing cruise that the Baltic. The Baltic is port-intensive, with important ports with much to see. It's a go-go-go cruise. Norway has much scenic cruising, so you can pull up a deck chair and enjoy the view. Or participate in ship activities.

This is an interesting culture that is different that Americans are used to. It can be exciting for kids to learn, or they can be bored. Depends on the kids, and probably their preparation for the cruise.

Personally, I think it's a long way to go for only seven days. I would look for at least a 10-day cruise there.

Anything else you would like to ask about?

For us it is not far at all.

We live in belgium, Lets say 200 Miles from Amsterdam where we will board.

I think i will not prebook the cabana, i'll wait and see THE weatherforecast and hope there is still one available.

I totaly agree with you, we combined our cruise in Alaska with a 14 day trip from LA to San Francisco (national parks). The fligths are so expensive that a one week trip is only for those that have no other option.

Can you compare the norway cruises with the Alaska cruises?

Can you compare the norway cruises with the Alaska cruises?

Similar, yet different.

The scenery is quite similar, although Norway is more fjords, and they feel narrower and longer. The snow in the mountains seems to last longer into the summer, so the view is a bit different.

Most of the ports in Norway feel less like tourist traps than Alaska has become :(. You won't find a row of Caribbean jewelry shops across from the dock :).

Alaska is quite comfortable to me, as an American. The language, money, food, are all just like home. I am home! :D

Norwegian is an entirely different sound to my ear, and of course the money is different. And the food---things I will never find at home! I know I'm in a different culture.

The people are friendly and quite welcoming to tourists.

Archived