3 More weeks to Take Advantage of Bermuda: MY REVIEW

yoyocruiser

Galleycook, No very sorry--this is for the Dawn that leaves out of Boston to Bermuda. I realize the Gem leaves out of New York so I understand your confusion. My apologies. The Gem (and the Jewel) do not have these type of suites. They have two bedroom family suites which are also lovely--but are much more expensive.

To those of you booked in these suites in the future, you are in for a treat.Chipsmom--and others traveling with children/parents--you may be interested to know that there can be at least some partial privacy. The king size bed has a pullout/sliding wall beside it that separates it from the pullout sofa at night, as well as a pullout curtain at the foot of the bed. There is no privacy between the pullout sofa and the murphy bed that comes from the wall across from it. But at least that does provide some privacy that can be important when traveling with sons/daughters etc. I keep remembering more nice features of this room that I forgot to post.

Thanks for the clarification! We did the GEM out of New York in May so first thing that popped into my mind. By the way, what is the Boston port like to leave from? Do they have parking and how is it. I like the convenience of the drive, park and sail from New York but don't necessarily like the traffic ;). I don't want to side track the thread so I'm ok if you don't answer.

Galley

Port in Boston is easy to get to and parking is available--I believe for around 150 a week?? You can clarify that on the ports board. From where we are we take commuter rail into Boston--LOL--so very easy--love avoiding the airlines.

I have also wanted to do the Gem out of NY to Bermuda--have wanted the experience of sailing out of NY. But it jsut doesn't quite make sense.

yoyo:)

Thanks for the clarification! We did the GEM out of New York in May so first thing that popped into my mind. By the way, what is the Boston port like to leave from? Do they have parking and how is it. I like the convenience of the drive, park and sail from New York but don't necessarily like the traffic ;). I don't want to side track the thread so I'm ok if you don't answer.

There is a parking garage right next to the Black Falcon terminal. It is 16.00 per day and you pay cash or CC card when you return from your cruise. You can drop off your passenger and luggage and park or if your not loaded with luggage you can just park and walk over. Very easy. Right off the Mass pike.

Oh--slightly less expensive than I thought! Another reason to take the Dawn. We got to ship slightly later than I wanted--maybe around 1:00PM--and it was pretty much total walk on for everyone and very little traffic or confusion. Three years ago it was like a mad house. They really have their act together now.

Galley

Port in Boston is easy to get to and parking is available--I believe for around 150 a week?? You can clarify that on the ports board. From where we are we take commuter rail into Boston--LOL--so very easy--love avoiding the airlines.

I have also wanted to do the Gem out of NY to Bermuda--have wanted the experience of sailing out of NY. But it jsut doesn't quite make sense.

yoyo:)

Thanks again!

There is a parking garage right next to the Black Falcon terminal. It is 16.00 per day and you pay cash or CC card when you return from your cruise. You can drop off your passenger and luggage and park or if your not loaded with luggage you can just park and walk over. Very easy. Right off the Mass pike.

Thanks very much.

Hi there YO-YO. I too being from Boston it seems a little crazy to drive to NY for the same cruise, however that said, I have done it a few times. Getting through customs on a NY cruise is brutal, MA it always seems to be a piece of cake. I don't know if that's a good thing,but it sure is easier. The first few times the drive down 95 to NY was also not enjoyable. However sometimes you just want to get away in Jan. or Fed., and seeing I don't fly, you got NY. It is really nice going by the Statue of Liberty, and seeing the sights of NY. The last time we went I found a post on cc for alternative directions to NY which were amazing. We were there in about 3 1/2 hours. Left on a Monday morning due to ship delay, in winter weather. It was a breeze,no traffic no trucks, so much so that I would not hesitate to use this route again. Just pick up Mass pike to 84 to 91 south. Then get off exit 17 Wilbur Cross Pwky.This becomes the Merritt Pwky., and then the Hutchinson River Pwky at the NY state line. In New Rochelle stay to the left and take the Cross County Pwky, stay left and take the Saw Mill River Pwky south, which becomes the Henry Hudson stay on HH and ship will be on your left. Parking is easy but expensive, but you are parked on the roof and you usually can spot your car when you are on the boat. I believe its $30. a day, but I love being able to walk of ship and get right into my car and drive home via the merritt Pwky now. LOL. Just another route in case you decide to try NY. I'll keep you posted if I get the cabin change. Thanks again for all your great info, hopefully I have returned the favor with this info.

Hi there yoyocruiser, I was looking for your review and enjoyed reading it. If you recall I'm in the exact same position as you - was in 8670 and am now in 12026 on the Dawn (Nov 23rd). I was so upset about all the reviews about the noise above the Spinnaker lounge that I agonized over it for weeks. I'm now very comfortable with the move and so excited to hear all the fabulous reviews of the new suites on deck 12.

I'm a little ruffled that I ended up paying an extra $900 to upgrade and then the price went down to my original purchase price 2 weeks after final payment. But, that's the chance you take when you want a specific cruise and cabin. Also the balconies on deck 8 are considerably smaller so I'm just considering it an upgrade to the awesome balcony!!

The Visa bill is paid off now and I got about half the difference on OBC so I'm now onto sorting out excursions, new beachwear, etc!

Glad your cruise was awesome. We have 11 days on the Dawn so I'm hoping to fit in all the same activities and more.

Thanks for writing!

Amanda,

Yes--it was through some of your posts that I became concerned about the Deck 8 suites. I totally agonized! It just happened on our cruise that because the prices fell so much--when I went to change to the Deck 12 suites they were actually cheaper than I had paid--by several hundred dollars--even though they were actually an upgrade from the Aft Suites.

I only made the decision 2 days before the cruise. I was beside myself because i had always wanted an aft suite. But honestly--it is truly an upgrade. I know many people love the aft suites--but I have to tell you that these suites on Deck 12 are beautiful. You did the right thing. Also, I went down to look at the Deck 8 aft suites and was able to glance in the room--no kidding the Deck 12 suites are far larger, and much brighter--newer. those suites are pretty in that they have the old wood, the darker finish--but when my husband looked in he just looked at me and said "Honey--no doubt--you totally made the right decision." And honestly--that is aside from the noise issue. That is just based on how beautiful these rooms are.

The price changes can be disturbing--but I think you have a great attitude at this point--and its the same thing I had to do--but in the end I really do think that you will feel that it is all totally worth it. I know that by being in this beautiful place that we did not spend near as much onboard--we did not go to a lot of specialty restaurants, we ordered gin and rum for our room and basically made our drinks there and saved a couple hundred in bar charges, did not do any of the spa stuff--so in the end we actually spent less on this cruise.

Amanda,

Yes--it was through some of your posts that I became concerned about the Deck 8 suites. I totally agonized! It just happened on our cruise that because the prices fell so much--when I went to change to the Deck 12 suites they were actually cheaper than I had paid--by several hundred dollars--even though they were actually an upgrade from the Aft Suites.

I only made the decision 2 days before the cruise. I was beside myself because i had always wanted an aft suite. But honestly--it is truly an upgrade. I know many people love the aft suites--but I have to tell you that these suites on Deck 12 are beautiful. You did the right thing. Also, I went down to look at the Deck 8 aft suites and was able to glance in the room--no kidding the Deck 12 suites are far larger, and much brighter--newer. those suites are pretty in that they have the old wood, the darker finish--but when my husband looked in he just looked at me and said "Honey--no doubt--you totally made the right decision." And honestly--that is aside from the noise issue. That is just based on how beautiful these rooms are.

The price changes can be disturbing--but I think you have a great attitude at this point--and its the same thing I had to do--but in the end I really do think that you will feel that it is all totally worth it. I know that by being in this beautiful place that we did not spend near as much onboard--we did not go to a lot of specialty restaurants, we ordered gin and rum for our room and basically made our drinks there and saved a couple hundred in bar charges, did not do any of the spa stuff--so in the end we actually spent less on this cruise.

Totally excited.... time seems to be going so slow. Just over 7 weeks :cool:

I have never heard of "non smoking" room as in hotels.

I also know that people are allowed to smoke in their stateroom and balcony.

However, I have never come into my room and ever smelled cigarette smoke at all. They must have some system for getting smoke smell out. I do know that I have read complaints here about the issue--but all told--not that many. It doesn't seem to happen that often that a room does have that smell.

Sorry--no pictures. But the hot tub is at the almost total forward point of the ship --I think it is Deck 13 but you go up some steps--making it the highest point on the ship right there. The tub is oblong and can hold 8. The water temperature was very warm. You literally can sit in the tub and get a total panoramic view--much nicer than the smaller round tubs at the pool. But shh--keep it secret. LOL!! Maybe you will ahve it all to yourself.

May I suggest to those of you that are soon to sail the Dawn..

to try Teppanyaki. It is wonderful. You need to book when you board as they fill up fast. The times are 5:50, 7:30 and 9:30. :)

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/15375%20Teppanyaki.pdf

We missed that on our Sept 16th cruise.:(

We just rebooked for Fridays cruise so maybe we can try Teppanyaki this time.;)

You are so lucky to get to go back so soon. It will be interesting to compare the same cruise just weeks apart. I am always curious as to how the "feel" of a given cruise may vary (or not) from sailing to sailing depending on such things as weather, make-up of passengers, getting near to the end of a particualr run etc.

I was surprised how fast Tappanyaki filled up--given that the cruise wasn't filled up.

Hi yo-yo,

Just wanted to let you know what I decided. I didn't take the suite, just couldn't give up my aft balcony, however the penthouse suite 2 doors down cabin 10226 just became available so I jumped on it. Lot more expensive, but hopefully it will be worth it. First time in a suite. Wish me luck. Thanks again for your review, and your help.

If the aft is that important to you--then WOW--now you have the best of BOTH worlds!! I never was able to get the option to move up to another

aft suite--but I knwot eh ones one deck 10 are suppose to have the best deck.

I am sure you are going to love the AFT suite!! :D :D

Also thanks for the great directions. You gotta love CC!!

greetings! i just wanted to thank you for posting this, as i've been semi-agonizing over whether to book a last minute trip (NYC to bermuda on the gem) and i THINK this helped. the cruise rep is calling me back in a little under two hours--here's hoping i book it.

thanks so much for all of this info!!!

I think you should definitely go for it--and the Gem is a beautiful ship! Prices are really good on the Gem also--I think they just added this thing today where you get some onboard credit for sailing out of New York and it even applied to these late bookings to Bermuda--so that's an extra bonus. :)

I have never heard of "non smoking" room as in hotels.

I also know that people are allowed to smoke in their stateroom and balcony.

However, I have never come into my room and ever smelled cigarette smoke at all. They must have some system for getting smoke smell out. I do know that I have read complaints here about the issue--but all told--not that many. It doesn't seem to happen that often that a room does have that smell.

Sorry--no pictures. But the hot tub is at the almost total forward point of the ship --I think it is Deck 13 but you go up some steps--making it the highest point on the ship right there. The tub is oblong and can hold 8. The water temperature was very warm. You literally can sit in the tub and get a total panoramic view--much nicer than the smaller round tubs at the pool. But shh--keep it secret. LOL!! Maybe you will ahve it all to yourself.

Thanks! Now that you've said its oblong I think I saw a picture somewhere. Ok shhh... don't tell anyone else. I like the idea of solitude on a busy ship!

Yo-Yo, I'm so glad you enjoyed the new deck 12 family suite. I was one of the people who warned against deck 8 stern staterooms having experienced one on the Pearl.

We were on the Star on the Pacific Coastal last week in SJ family suite 12518 (no balcony) on deck 12. We loved our suite too, it was perfect for four of us and would have worked for 6 if necessary. Loved having an entire wall of windows. As you say, location is very handy. On the Star it is a few floors down to the theater, short walk to center stairway and up one flight to get to Cagneys, just a few staterooms to pool area and beyond that market cafe.

We've had suites before with the wonderful coffee machines but I didn't remember them having tea. Loved having options on both coffee and tea and butler was great about keeping the pods refilled.

One of my possible disappointments with Breakaway is that there doesn't appear to be any of the open concept family suites that will sleep 4 or 6. For sharing with adults I don't like having one very large fancy bedroom/bathroom combination and one tiny no window sleeping room/small bath. If we had been offered upsell to 2bedroom family suite we might have taken it but would have switched bedrooms halfway through cruise.

Kj, I thank you for your input about the noise, because it did contribute to our booking the family suite--LOL!!

I asked to see the family suites that did not have a balcony because I always felt that I had to have the balcony--but honestly--that beautiful wall of windows was just marvelous and I could be happy there for sure. Especially given the location on Deck 12--so close to the pool and to the upper decks--beautiful!! Yep and lovely tea from those machines and I am also a coffee fanatic--so PERFECT!!

I really have no desire to be on the big monster ships--the Epic or the Breakaway series--I really hope to enjoy the little restorations and improvements they do on the now "older" ships--like the new family suites on the Dawn. Perfect!! We did have the two bedroom suite on the Jewel--it was actually very lovely and we had 6 people--DH and 4 college kids--haha--so we did not feel bad about having the nice bedroom (and beautiful bath)

But I also have to say--weren't the bathrooms in the family suites just beautiful??

Glad to hear that you loved your trip as much a! did we--wonderful isn't it? And so happy for your warnings about the noise on Deck 8 aft. It worked out great.

Archived