Okay, I am getting nervous about AOS for part of our honeymoon!

What have you read that was so terrible? You can not focus on what other people say to determine that you will have a terrible time. This is an experience that you will only have once I say go for it. Your cruise is only what you make of it!:)

We have sailed the AOS twice and it is my favorite ship. Don't worry about what you read, the ship is amazing, crew is awesome, ports are the best I have ever been to.

What exactly is it that worries you? Maybe I can help?

Bobbie

Thanks! I am just a little worried because fiancee has never been on a cruise and sometimes he gets annoyed with what he likes to refer to as "the public". LOL... and I was reading all about "chair hogs" and rude table mates. I'm just afraid that it wont be too romantic... not that I really thought having 3,000 people was going to be "intimate".lolol... we are going to cap juluca for a week first for some r and r and peace and quiet that we'll need after the wedding, and I thought that the ship would be perfect for the second week because we get to see a ton of islands! But I keep thinking, what if we get seasick... its our HONEYMOON! And all the posts about the food being bad... I dont know!

You'll be fine :) The food isn't bad. If you don't like something be sure to order something else. There is always room service, Windjammer, Johnny Rockets, Cafe Promanade and Portifinos.... There really are a lot choices if you find you didn't like a meal.

We usually only feel the ship rock bad when you enter the Atlantic for a couple of hours. It has never been that bad though. I do get motion sickness VERY easy, but love cruising. I usually just start drinking a little and I am fine. Bonine works great, but I try not to take it. We had a waiter once swear by green apples. If you feel motion at all ask for them. They will be happy to find them for you. The ship really is VERY romantic at night. Believe it or not the pool deck is almost totally empty once second seating dinner starts. Viking crown lounge is also usually a nice quiet place to have a conversation. You will really be suprised how alone you can feel on a ship with that many people.

If you look at my pictures in my signature, most are taken on ships during a sea day. People always comment on "Did you have the whole sip to yourself? Where is everyone?"

The ship really is great. If you are really worried, look into switching to the Serenade. We just did the Jewel (sister ship). The ship was just as beautiful, but less people.

I hope that helps. Don't let people who like complaining worry you. If you don't like your tablemates ask to be moved. We did this once and ended up with the best table ever. We missed dinner one night and our tablemates told us later that night how people kept asking if they could sit there. I guess the whole dining room knew how well we all got along.

If you are worried about residents of Puerto Rico... The second time we sailed the AOS a third of the ship was locals. We heard a lot more Spanish that cruise, but the experience was still great.

Maybe you are just hearing the Spring Break horror stories right now? Seems like there are always more problems this time of year :(

Bobbie

Well unless you are completely alone on an island, no matter where you go you will encounter "the public". And to be honest you have as much of a chance at getting sick on food from the first part of your honeymoon as on any cruise. I am going on my 6th cruise, one on AOS and NEVER had a problem with the food. And I can only count a handful of complaints about the food and hundreds of positive reviews, why focus on a few food snobs?

Thanks! I am just a little worried because fiancee has never been on a cruise and sometimes he gets annoyed with what he likes to refer to as "the public". LOL... and I was reading all about "chair hogs" and rude table mates. I'm just afraid that it wont be too romantic... not that I really thought having 3,000 people was going to be "intimate".lolol... we are going to cap juluca for a week first for some r and r and peace and quiet that we'll need after the wedding, and I thought that the ship would be perfect for the second week because we get to see a ton of islands! But I keep thinking, what if we get seasick... its our HONEYMOON! And all the posts about the food being bad... I dont know!

I was on the Vision last december and I was supprised on how many places I found on the ship to be alone, one night I could not sleep and got up to walk around about 3 A.M. and I saw no more that 20 other people, even in the day there are many quiet areas.

Bob

Hi,

my DH and I did our very first cruise for our honeymoon on AOS. While it is a large ship and was running at 95% occupied we never felt that it was too crowded or unromantic.

The first thing we did was ask for a table for two, so we did not dine with any other people that week. Our itineary was the port intensive one which included Barbados with only one sea day. On sea day we were pretty busy and did not get to the pool area until around 1:00PM but there was no problem to get chairs.

There are many quiet areas around the ship that you will find a pleasure to discover; one of the places we like to hang out at was the helipad to the front of the ship,you got some amazing sunsets from that point and at night there is no one there. I also liked the Aquarium Bar and the solarium. We even went to the art auction on sea day, before it began and had some champagne (free) and looked at the paintings and there was hardly anyone there at all. There is also a room where they smoke cigars and it is very private.

In Port I only booked one tour in St. Thomas with Godfrey,other than that we made our way by ourselves at the other islands.In Barbados we went to Paynes Bay and had the beach to ourselves, pretty romantic as Barbados is where DH proposed. In St. Lucia we went to Rodney Bay and to the beach there; you can also take the ferry to Pigeon Island which is very romantic.

In Antigua we took a taxi and toured the island, stopping off at a beach in the end.You can also look into a day pass at Pineapple Beach Resort, which is a nice secluded property with a great beach.

I would say do your research, read the reviews and take them with a grain of salt.I know it is your honeymoon and you want everything to be "perfect" but the reality is that in life, nothing ever is; there are going to be minor things that pop up that you have no control over, but you are the only person who can allow that to ruin your vacation.

On our wedding day my photographer team had their car stolen at the church, they were also doing the video taping and music at both the church and the reception. And we only discovered the car stolen after the ceremony had ended, Now, that could have ruined our day, but we remained calm, made alternative arrangements for them to get to the reception, allowed them time to report the incident to the poilce and our day was "perfect" in the end. Oh, and the police found the car with everything intact a few days later!

We took the AOS about a year and half ago, while not the absolute best cruise we have ever taken it was definetly in the to 5. (I have taken 15 cruises).

As others have stated there are alot places to "hide"

As for chair hogs, I have only really encountered them poolside. If you are willing to go up a deck there are usually plenty of loungers available.

You can only cancel if you let me go in your place!! Are you nuts???? Look, while nothing is ever "perfect" remember that any issues people had are their OPINIONS!

We were on the ship last October. My mom did NOT want to go...(ok so she only had 3 days notice, maybe that had someting to do with it!) BUT overall it was GREAT. We had WAY more fun that we thought!

You can try for a table for 2. The only time it seemed crowded was lines for photos on formal night, peak times in the buffet and entering/exitin the theatre before/after BINGO and the sales in the promenade. Bad traffic flow.

Sometimes you may think there's a lot of people, other times it seems empty.

I suggest that if you want to get pix of the ship, get to the pier early. Run around and take pix as soon as you board. AOS is a great ship and the crew were super. We wanted to bring our cabin attendant home! She was so nice!

The food was very good to excellent. If you get seasick go get the stuff from the doctor. Seasick meds are one of the few FREE things!! Seriously get some bonine and take it when you aboard prior to sailing if you are worried! Which route are you taking? (maybe i missed it in your post!)

I have all my compasses from the aruba route. If you have any ??s email me at

cruisermeg@cs.com

put AOS or cruise critic in the subject.

If you copy and paste the link in my signature you can see my pix. It's a great ship......and a great route! Go to the shows.....stay up late (it is the SECOND week of your honeymoon after all....lol. You will have a blast!

Don't worry about the sea sickness. I am the worst person when it comes to motion sickness. I get sick in cars,boats,buses etc....Take non drowsy Dramamine the day before you leave and keep taking it when your on the cruise. It worked like a charm. Every once in a while I did feel a little unbalanced. But it never made me nautious. And we even encountered some rough weather. Now my husband is not what you call a people person. And he loves cruises because its a place where you can avoid people if you want or you can be social. It's totally up to you. Just enjoy...I'm sure you'll love it.

Don't worry about the sea sickness. I am the worst person when it comes to motion sickness. I get sick in cars,boats,buses etc....Take non drowsy Dramamine the day before you leave and keep taking it when your on the cruise. It worked like a charm. Every once in a while I did feel a little unbalanced. But it never made me nautious. And we even encountered some rough weather. Now my husband is not what you call a people person. And he loves cruises because its a place where you can avoid people if you want or you can be social. It's totally up to you. Just enjoy...I'm sure you'll love it.

Irovnan:

Where did you get your countdown clock? It's pretty nifty :)

I have to provide my two cents. If you looking to be alone a cruise is not your best option. If you looking to just sit on a beach all day, eat whenever you want, walk the beach at night, not see very many people, go stay on an island like Aruba, Barbados, Turks. If you want lots of activites, shows, good food, and some contact with people go for the cruise. Determine now what you want your honeymoon to be.

Dont forget it is the public that post here too ! :eek: :D

After 14 cruises I can tell ya that you will want to go again. Dont worry about all the goofy things you read and see in some of the post. 2000+ people every week, on dozens of ships, year in and out cant all be wrong.

Just got off the Adventure on Sunday. The ship is awesome the staff is great, no complaints at all. This was the first part of our honeymoon, we then went to St. Kitts for four days.

Let me know if you have any questions.

My husband and I were married in 2002 on a cruise and have been on 6 cruises in the last 4 years. Save for a two week vacation to Bali, this is the only way we have vacationed in the last 4 years! We have three more planned, all on Royal Caribbean, in the next nine months.

Having tried Celebrity, Princess twice and Royal Caribbean many times, RCCL is our favorite by far, and there is no question that the Voyager class ships are the BEST! There is so much to do, you frequently forget you are on a ship.

My husband got seasick on our first cruise, but he had such a fabulous time anyway, next time he saw the Dr and was prescribed the patch which he gets now everytime. He puts it on the day before the cruise and has never been sick again and drinks like a fish the entire trip.

We would recommend cruising over any other vacation by far! Regardless, your trip will be what the two of you make it. Go and have a great time!

Sounds great!! Thank you to all of you who took the time to help ease my concerns... it worked!:D Its true that everything is what you make of it, and both FH and I are committed to having a great time! We are both social and love to see and do new things! I am very lucky to have found this board and such supportive people willing to help! Thanks everyone!!!!

Did AOS for our Honeymoon and it was great. We are kinda of untraditional though and had some friends come with us on outr cruise. It was awesome...didn't have to deal with anyone but our good friends who where there with us to enjoy our honeymoon too. Still had plenty of alone time and everything was great!!!!

I certainly can understand your fiancee's concerns as the AOS was my first cruise as well...and I LOVED IT! I never felt crowded or pushed or rushed, it was just perfect. In fact I cruised when it is usually less expensive for the locals (Puerto Ricans) to cruise and there were well over 1100 locals on the ship (usually at great rates), let me tell you they really know how to "let loose"!! But it was never over the top and made it more interesting. There are so many places to have quiet moments on the ship..I hope he feels the same (my wife appreciated it)...

Archived