Which West Bay Beach resort?

hazelglaze

I am sailing on NCL and their excursion to Tabyana Beach is $59pp which includes a lunch people have not been too fond of. I'd like to go somewhere on West Bay so we can snorkel of Tabyana but was wondering if it might be better to go through one of the other places. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I don't think any of the food on West Bay Beach is anything to write home about, with that said Celeste's is part of West Bay Lodge and people often rave about how good the food is.

West Bay Lodge in not on the beach it is across the road.

The closest resort to Tabyana is Infinity Bay. Hmm I can't find any info that says Infinity offers day passes. Anyone have current info?

I closest resort I know offering day passes is Bananarama. I find the congestion of people and boats on the smaller strip of sand here a bit to claustrophobic for me.

Wait, maybe I am misunderstanding..you are going to take the Tabyana excursion and you looking for food, if so Celeste's is your answer. If you are looking for options other than the excursion, remember ya gotta pay transport fees, day-pass fees and lunch, in addition to walking down to Tabyana to snorkel.

Goodness, I am starting to wonder if I am helping or not.. :)

Thank you for responding. The information was helpful. I guess what I ultimately want to do is go to the beach and snorkel. However, I wasn't sure if it would be best to go with the cruise line's excursion which overcharges and doesn't give that great of a lunch vs. going with one of the other beach resorts. I know Bananarama includes transportation to and from ship for a $30 plus a welcome drink and a beach chair and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the other beach resorts. I'm leaning against the ship excusion because it seems like we'd be paying for a $29 lunch per person ($59 minus the $30 RT to the beach) and the lunch isn't that great. Does that make sense?

If I don't go with the excursion, which beach resort would you recommend?

I truly believe if the goal is snorkeling then the ships excursion to Tabyana is the way to go. The very best snorkeling West Bay has to offer is off of Tabyana Beach. Have a look at this thread.

Ah this is the reason so many people go to Bananarama, the price with transport included. I find I get a bit claustrophobic do to all the people and boats. My beautiful view of the sea is all chopped up with boats in the water. And ya still have to walk down the beach to the good snorkeling.

Does this help?

I am wondering the exact same thing.

We have our own snorkel equipment and just want to go to the beach for a few hours and snorkel.

We're happy to wait until we get back to the boat for lunch.

So all we need is transportation to the beach and maybe chairs.

I'm not sure if we want to do Bananarama just b/c it is cheaper or try to go on our own.

And we have 2 weeks to figure it out!

Our family is going to the Turquoise Bay Resort. We're all doing the extreme zip and my husband and son will be diving while I'll be doing the beach day at Turquoise Bay. We booked through Roatan Shore Tours. If you just want to do the beach day it'll cost $25 including transportation (choice of 3 beaches). If you go on a guided snorkel trip by boat it'll be $45 (including transportation from the ship).

http://www.roatanshoretours.com/beach_day.htm

If you have any questions, email Roatan Shore Tours--they were very responsive to my questions.

Nancy

I've heard that as long as you can make it to the beach, you can walk down to Tabyana to snorkel since the beach is public access. Is this correct? It doesn't seem like it would be too bad of a walk. If we wanted to catch a taxi from Coxen Hole, how expensive do you think that would run?

Our family is going to the Turquoise Bay Resort. We're all doing the extreme zip and my husband and son will be diving while I'll be doing the beach day at Turquoise Bay. We booked through Roatan Shore Tours. If you just want to do the beach day it'll cost $25 including transportation (choice of 3 beaches). If you go on a guided snorkel trip by boat it'll be $45 (including transportation from the ship).

http://www.roatanshoretours.com/beach_day.htm

If you have any questions, email Roatan Shore Tours--they were very responsive to my questions.

Nancy

I am really interested in these beaches instead of the crowded West Bay beaches - thanks for the suggestion. Does anyone else have experience with them?

We will be making our third trip to Bananarama in November. Yes it can get busy but according to the various websites, we are the only ship in port so it shouldn't be too bad! We have found the food to be decent and the drinks plentiful and inexpensive. Our group of eight cost me around $175. This was the first round and then meals for all of us as well as our guide and driver. We did our first stop directly through Bananarama but the second trip was via Bodden Tours. This time we have booked directly again. For my money I can walk down to the good snorkeling area and spend the rest on Monkey LaLas!!

Snow bunny

We will be making our third trip to Bananarama in November. Yes it can get busy but according to the various websites, we are the only ship in port so it shouldn't be too bad! We have found the food to be decent and the drinks plentiful and inexpensive. Our group of eight cost me around $175. This was the first round and then meals for all of us as well as our guide and driver. We did our first stop directly through Bananarama but the second trip was via Bodden Tours. This time we have booked directly again. For my money I can walk down to the good snorkeling area and spend the rest on Monkey LaLas!!

Snow bunny

When you go on a Victor Bodden tour, do you feel obligated to buy your driver/tour guide lunch? I'm having a hard enough time justifying the $80 for the two of us to go on a tour.

I've heard that as long as you can make it to the beach, you can walk down to Tabyana to snorkel since the beach is public access. Is this correct? It doesn't seem like it would be too bad of a walk. If we wanted to catch a taxi from Coxen Hole, how expensive do you think that would run?

Yes, public access (according to the locals and Bodden drivers) is only at Tabyana. There are restrooms there and showers to use there as well.

When you go on a Victor Bodden tour, do you feel obligated to buy your driver/tour guide lunch? I'm having a hard enough time justifying the $80 for the two of us to go on a tour.

We did the zip and dip (so might be a little different than just a "tour" if you mean a tour of the island), but when they took us to West Bay, they just parked in the parking lot, we all walked there, he showed us how to get in and then ask us when we all wanted him back to pick us up. He did not even stay there. :)

mitsugirly ~ you were just there so your info is more current than mine...but I was under the impression Tabyana was the part of West Bay Beach the cruise ship people are on and to use their potties/showers you had to be bagged as tagged a cruise ship person on the offered excursion. I have never tried to walk from the beach to the showers or potties so I don't know if you could slip in...but my guess is NOT public.

The only truly public way I know to get on to West Bay Beach is the road next to Thirsty Turtle or a water taxi from West End would do you far better...but being I have never taken a land taxi to West Bay I could very well be wrong.

No, we didn't feel obligated to buy the lunch. The cost for our trip was only $25 as we had a large group. Have you checked on your roll call to see if anyone is interested in sharing the tour?

Snow bunny

mitsugirly ~ you were just there so your info is more current than mine...but I was under the impression Tabyana was the part of West Bay Beach the cruise ship people are on and to use their potties/showers you had to be bagged as tagged a cruise ship person on the offered excursion. I have never tried to walk from the beach to the showers or potties so I don't know if you could slip in...but my guess is NOT public.

The only truly public way I know to get on to West Bay Beach is the road next to Thirsty Turtle or a water taxi from West End would do you far better...but being I have never taken a land taxi to West Bay I could very well be wrong.

Tabyana was "different" to me. It was like it's own little community and didn't look like a high-end resort type place to us. You kind of wind your way around the area and there are little shops/restaurants here and there and tons of places to sit down at tables to eat or just hang out (without actually going down the steps onto the beach). There were tons of people going in and out of here. They were also having a cookout when we arrived along one of the sidewalks. We thought about stopping on the way out to grab a bite to eat (tacos and burritos), but they were putting everything away when we got back and the food was all gone. :( So we went into the little store and bought some homemade milkshakes and gummy bears for the little one. Toward the back (which is where you enter the property from the road/alley) is where the bathrooms and showers were at. :)

mitsugirly ~ I am confused.... I saw a post of yours that said you sat and snorkeled the far end of West Bay Beach near the rock wall. If you walk back up the beach the 1st part with loungers and people is Tabyana. I have never been behind the loungers cause I always thought you had to be bagged and tagged a cruise person. Is that were the steps down to the beach, shops and what not are?

Right next to Tabyana is Infinity, they have the L shaped pier closest to the rock wall.

What you describe above sounds so much like Bananarama to me. The steps down to the beach, the showers in the back, the ice cream shop, the alley to the road... all sounds like Bananarama.

I reason I ask is cause if your info is correct I am going to stop posting like I know anything. :) If your info is confused..that needs to be sorted as well.

I can't imagine any place on West Bay Beach being free...water, electricity to pump the water, never mind the waste system is not cheap.

mitsugirly ~ I am confused.... I saw a post of yours that said you sat and snorkeled the far end of West Bay Beach near the rock wall. If you walk back up the beach the 1st part with loungers and people is Tabyana. I have never been behind the loungers cause I always thought you had to be bagged and tagged a cruise person. Is that were the steps down to the beach, shops and what not are?

Right next to Tabyana is Infinity, they have the L shaped pier closest to the rock wall.

What you describe above sounds so much like Bananarama to me. The steps down to the beach, the showers in the back, the ice cream shop, the alley to the road... all sounds like Bananarama.

I reason I ask is cause if your info is correct I am going to stop posting like I know anything. :) If your info is confused..that needs to be sorted as well.

I can't imagine any place on West Bay Beach being free...water, electricity to pump the water, never mind the waste system is not cheap.

I think I stand corrected...it is Bananarama I believe. :eek: :confused: Crap, I think I'm thinking of the people we were talking to that were with us at the same place that kept calling it Tabyana. Crap. Do you know if Bananarama is the place with free showers and toilet with all the shops? I know it was just right past Infinity. But yes, either way, it was still right there on west bay and was still free. I think I just got the names messed up maybe? I'll have to research now you have me thinking. But I do know it's where the taxi's take people to drop them off and let them in to the free access to the beach. It is free with the amenities. :)

I just tried looking at the maps I have with all the names listed, I do believe it is Bananarama. Sorry for the confusion everyone and thank you so much for correcting me guest 2000. I appreciate it.

So, anyone wanting to get into West Bay for free with public access, restrooms and a shower...go to Bananarama. :D

Yeah think about it for a spell..free beach access I agree with. Free amenities not so much...Bananarama has their prices posted.

Hmm, I don't know. Everyone there were using the restrooms and showers when we were there. They didn't have any wrist bands or anything on them. Even all the people we came there with used them as well. Also, we walked back from being on the beach (and could have been anyone) and went up and ask where the restrooms where and they happily pointed us in the direction and didn't even ask if we were staying there.

It might have just been a "lucky" day. I don't know. :confused:

While Bananarama may not police the bathrooms/ showers, the web site has this to say.

"Additional amenities such as fresh water showers, lockers, kayaks, beach chairs and snorkeling gear are available for rent at our beach front Roatan Activities Center. We also have a variety of souvenirs and gift shop items for sale."

It is possible like any other restaurant, if you pay for a meal you can use the bathrooms.

Bananarama is not public, it is a resort with amenities for the use of its guests, they just doesn't have a wall around it, guards and a sign that says paying guests only.

I don't think telling the whole of Cruise Critic Bananarama is free is fair to the place that pays for the water and waste system.

This is not meant to offend , it is meant to inform. In addition I could be wrong and completely out of line. :)

While Bananarama may not police the bathrooms/ showers, the web site has this to say.

"Additional amenities such as fresh water showers, lockers, kayaks, beach chairs and snorkeling gear are available for rent at our beach front Roatan Activities Center. We also have a variety of souvenirs and gift shop items for sale."

It is possible like any other restaurant, if you pay for a meal you can use the bathrooms.

Bananarama is not public, it is a resort with amenities for the use of its guests, they just doesn't have a wall around it, guards and a sign that says paying guests only.

I don't think telling the whole of Cruise Critic Bananarama is free is fair to the place that pays for the water and waste system.

This is not meant to offend , it is meant to inform. In addition I could be wrong and completely out of line. :)

I was about to write a post saying most of what you said here, but you covered it.

I really enjoy this area. We do use Victor Bodden every time we have been there. We love this service. Our driver always stays right there for us. It is his job to be there if you want to leave. I always offer to buy them lunch or a cold soda. Both times they said no. Use roll call to add more people into your group for a lower price per person. Make sure you go see the monkeys on the way to the beach.

As far as the beach- if your gonna use a shower and bathroom-- buy a drink or two from them. Bananarama has a nice bar with local music playing. Enjoy, relax and have a drink.

Archived