Thoughts on Fun Ships 2.0 announced today

NAUdebo

We agree that they are being smart to improve Carnival's current cruise product across a number of ships, rather than adding a single new ship. That way a larger number of cruise customers will be able to enjoy the changes. And since they're not charging more for these additional casual dining concepts (unlike adding another steakhouse or a Cucina del Capitan like on the Magic and Breeze), more passengers will actually get to enjoy them. None of these changes is earth-shattering. But lots of small changes just updates the product and make us feel better about trying the same itinerary again. (we're doing our third Western Caribbean in a few weeks; it will be nice that the ship has some new things, since the ports will all be familiar). Yes, we want to sail on the Breeze, but we're also excited that the Liberty (and soon the Glory, etc.) will have some new and different things to experience, too.

Jim and Pierre

they are adding brand new shows Im hoping with these new shows they will have them more frequently like in the years past....I will find out in 47 days...LOL

The blue iguanna bar sounds interesting.

If they are good I love margaritas .. not the free blue ones they serve at the parties ... ones with triple sec that taste different to me.

I think I could drink the whole pitcher described right now .. they sound so good.

Im not a huge George Lopez fan, but hoping he finds some better talent, as to me some has been iffy, some good and some .. ehhh? and they repeat the show, so no good going twice to the same comedian at night for something to do. Jokes are only good once to me during the same week!

I LOVE the new changes...I think Carnival did it's homework and is trying to include something for a broad range of people. Comedy, Music, Wine, Sports, Games, Food, Shows...a little of everything.

Personally there are several things that we won't be using (not a big sports fan) but that doesn't mean I'm not excited for upgrades and changes that others will enjoy.

The more business Carnival can get means they can keep their prices reasonable!

Interesting I went onto carnival.com and they have pics of everything they are adding...anyway what Id like to know is they then have the Water Park Video showing the ships in 2012 they are adding it too...the Liberty isnt listed...I now have to wonder if they will not be adding it when they completely re-do the Liddo Deck.....hummmm

I LOVE the new changes...I think Carnival did it's homework and is trying to include something for a broad range of people. Comedy, Music, Wine, Sports, Games, Food, Shows...a little of everything.

Personally there are several things that we won't be using (not a big sports fan) but that doesn't mean I'm not excited for upgrades and changes that others will enjoy.

My thoughts exactly!!!:)

Interesting I went onto carnival.com and they have pics of everything they are adding...anyway what Id like to know is they then have the Water Park Video showing the ships in 2012 they are adding it too...the Liberty isnt listed...I now have to wonder if they will not be adding it when they completely re-do the Liddo Deck.....hummmm

Maybe because its supposed to be added this year?

list of when the upgrades should be added below:

Carnival Liberty 2011,

Breeze, Conquest, Glory in 2012,

Destiny, Legend, Pride, Victory in 2013

Elation Freedom Triumph Valor in 2014

Magic and Paradise in 2015

PS for those who didnt notice back when John posted that Paradise and elation would not be getting the waterparks, and host mach?? I believe posted those two Fantasy class ships might be getting something better .... here is the answer to the something better. Only two Fantasy class ships on the list so far.

Maybe because its supposed to be added this year?

list of when the upgrades should be added below:

thanks Fire that is what I thought but on the Carnival page it didnt mention the liberty 2011 so I wasn't sure if it would be added or not..So It will be on the liberty then during dry dock?

The program is anything but earth breaking. The competition has had these programs on their ships for a very long time. The issue then becomes what is left for Carnival to pick from to place on their ships, not much. It will be that PR machine that will have to create something literally out of nothing. Whether the public takes to whatever Carnival can piece together remains to be seen.

The other lines used to follow Carnival and for the past several years Carnival has been looking at the competition for the latest. They need to look at ship design and hone in on what made Carnival what it is today and build up. Instead, Carnival's only real draw is cheap price..and one gets what they pay for.

I pretty much agree with you. I think all of these additions sound great, but nothing says "wow" to me or is anything that you can't find on another line. I like Carnival -- we've done four with them and are doing a fifth in December -- but we've also cruised on Celebrity, HAL and NCL. I was ready for us to check out the Breeze next year, 'til I realized that, although I'm sure the ship will be beautiful, it'll still be too "been there, done that" for me. We're checking out the Allure of the Seas instead. Yes, we're paying almost double what we would for a similar sailing on Carnival, but I'm willing to do that for something totally new/different.

The other ships honestly we would not use any of what they have on board other than the Water Park which I believe Carnival will be bringing to their ships...So with that said, we dont rock climb we dont ice skate and a few other activites we dont do so why pay more for more premium restaurants....JMHO

I am very happy about the news. Think is cool that there are so many changes too. I expected, 1 change that would be somewhat blah. The only thing I dont get is the Lido deck redo. I cant wait to see what all changes on the Liberty. When they say complete re-do, does that mean she is getting all the cool waterpark and slides from the 2.0 video? I hope so! Not for me, for the kids : )

The other ships honestly we would not use any of what they have on board other than the Water Park which I believe Carnival will be bringing to their ships...So with that said, we dont rock climb we dont ice skate and a few other activites we dont do so why pay more for more premium restaurants....JMHO

I think it's one of those "to each his own" things. We swore we'd never set foot on an Oasis class ship, but after reading reviews (with amazing pictures) on the Royal boards, we decided we just have to do it. How much we'll use of what they offer remains to be seen, but then, we don't partake of a lot of what Carnival offers, either. I just can't wait to see the Boardwalk, Royal Promenade, Central Park, etc. We may decide that a ship that size is just not our thing, but at least we will have tried it, and then it'll be on to our next Carnival cruise...

I'm glad to see CCL is taking steps in the right direction. The new interior design of Breeze shows that they are really working on fixing their image (good riddance Farcus!). The new amenities will help as well. They have to make their ships desirable since Oasis and Allure are grabbing so much attention lately.

I also would like to see them roll out a truly new design of ship. They have been remaking the Destiny design since 1996, and its getting tired. I would really like to see an improved Spirit Class type of ship with a better space/passenger ratio. Shoehorning more and more onto these ships is only going to cause more complaints about overcrowding.

Me, too!

Where is the list of ships that are getting a Waterpark?

I pretty much agree with you. I think all of these additions sound great, but nothing says "wow" to me or is anything that you can't find on another line.

Exactly!! And Carnival went out of their way to hype 2 mediochore at best TV personalities to anchor the annoucement of the other "improvements". The other cruise lines already have had their pick of the attention (revenue generating) talents in the entertainment business leaving Carnival with veru obvious slim pickings. I am shocked at just how weak this annoucement is. For $500M this is the best they could come up with?

Sounds like a Carnival employee had some spare time on their hands.

The program is anything but earth breaking. The competition has had these programs on their ships for a very long time. The issue then becomes what is left for Carnival to pick from to place on their ships, not much. It will be that PR machine that will have to create something literally out of nothing. Wether the public takes to whatever Carnival can piece together remains to be seen.

The other lines used to follow Carnival and for the past several years Carnival has been looking at the competition for the latest. They need to look at ship design and hone in on what made Carnival what it is today and build up. Instead, Carnival's only real draw is cheap price..and one gets what they pay for.

This is laughable at best!

Actually the more people booking the higher prices go.

The prices are low when bookings are slow.

Love the changes and just got off the Liberty last month and now I'm ready to book it again.

Bill

Sounds like a Carnival employee had some spare time on their hands.

The program is anything but earth breaking. The competition has had these programs on their ships for a very long time. The issue then becomes what is left for Carnival to pick from to place on their ships, not much. It will be that PR machine that will have to create something literally out of nothing. Wether the public takes to whatever Carnival can piece together remains to be seen.

That's pretty funny... sometimes I wish I could be a cruise line employee instead of my real job now! Trust me, I'm not a Carnival employee - just a satisfied customer who likes the changes.

I didn't claim that these changes are earth shattering or ground breaking. In fact, I said this helps Carnival catch up to what others are already doing. True, it may not be enough to bring someone over who's a loyal passenger of another line. But, if you are currently a Carnival cruiser who's happy with them but wanting a fresh experience, this is a big deal.

There's a lot of reasons why Carnival is a success, and yes, a "cheap price" is one of them. It's good for families and for the middle class who can't afford a more upscale line, or who prefer a more laid-back environment. It's nice that RCCL offers all of these things and more, but it's given at a significantly higher base fare and constant nickel and diming. The impressive part about today's announcement is how everything is free for the cruiser. The food upgrades and entertainment upgrades have no direct cost. The expanded bar offerings are win-win, and likely to get people like me to spend more in the bars in return for a better experience.

Archived